• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fielder After Rhodes????

Who is the best fielder after Jonty Rhodes???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
To me, catching is the gold standard, whether in the slips or elsewhere. Ponting is exceptional there, and Collingwood too among the ones still playing.

I don't really care for outfield fielding much.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Colin Bland was supposedly up there with Rhodes. I haven't seen much of his fielding, but from what I've heard he was an absolute cracker.
Colin Bland was probably as good as Rhodes from what I've seen and read. I'd have those two just ahead of anyone else. Roger Harper was magnificent too. Derek Randall is probably this country's best, .

Of those I've seen, Symonds is probably the best of the rest. Hussey is superb too. The best pre-1970s was probably Gilbert Jessop.

Interested to hear about Mahanama, had never heard a thing about his fielding. Agree completely about the Lankans > Indian\Pakistanis in fielding as-a-rule thing, have thought it for ages, and yeah it's extremely strange.

BTW, this is all based on outfielding. The best close catchers ever were the likes of Eknath Solkar, Garry Sobers, Ian Botham and Mark Waugh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To me, catching is the gold standard, whether in the slips or elsewhere. Ponting is exceptional there, and Collingwood too among the ones still playing.

Obviously, catching > outfielding easily, in Tests, but that doesn't mean outfielding is unimportant or close to.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Lol. Why don't you just appreciate all bits of cricket?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
As Richard mentioned, I've heard really great things about Solkar. I know Tony Greig rates him as the best close in catcher he has ever seen, and so do most bowlers who played with him. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any of his matches/catches, so I can't really judge.

stumpski

International Captain
I was beginning to wonder when someone was going to mention Randall. David Gower and (apparently) Hobbs and Bradman were exceptional cover fielders as young men, and Learie Constantine I've been told was outstanding.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lol. Why don't you just appreciate all bits of cricket?
I wish I could - I really do. But I just can't seem to really love power batting, or ground fielding. Even catching is meh for me. When I watch cricket, I really focus on a few things I enjoy.

A session with a bowler bowling some good traditional or reverse swing at decent speed beating a batsmen and the bowler getting beaten by a perfect technique when he goes wayward is just about nirvana for me. It's not that I don't enjoy other stuff, but it's a hierarchy. I can certainly appreciate good ground fielding, but I wouldn't keep watching the game if that was the only thing going on....it's pretty low on the totem pole for me. Whereas if I was watching a great bowler operate, or some great technique on the screen, it would keep me glued to the screen regardless of the match situation.

bond21

Banned
Paul Collingwood beating Symonds....lmfao...I wont even begin to describe how utterly stupid that is.

If Panesar was in the poll he would be beating Symonds, its a popularity contest, no cricket knowledge in this topic whatsoever. The stupidity is beyond belief.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Let's see if we can go though it country by country:
England: close-catching - Botham; outfielding - Randall.
Australia: close-catching - Mark Waugh; outfielding - Symonds.
South Africa: close-catching - almost certainly be Graeme Smith by the end of his career; outfielding - Bland\Rhodes.
West Indies: close-catching - Sobers; outfielding - Harper.
India: close-catching - Solkar; outfielding - hard to say.
Pakistan: close-catching - Inzamam?; outfielding - probably Asif Iqbal.
New Zealand: close-catching - Fleming; outfielding - hard to say, there's a good few contenders. Harris didn't play enough for mine else it'd probably be him.
Sri Lanka: close-catching - M Jayawardene?; outfielding - Mahanama
Zimbabwe: close-catching - Carlisle; outfielding - Wishart

A few guesses in there though. Mostly from the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and 2000s mind, which makes sense.