• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I hate Sunil Gavaskar.

haroon510

International 12th Man
TBH, if Afridi and Dhoni opened, we wouldn't even need to have a debate regarding the best opener ever. It would then be Afridi >> Dhoni >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hobbs.
excuase me did i mention the name of Afridi some where there in my post? did i even mention anything about opening position or comparing Dhoni and Afridi with Gavasker.. i just said i haven't been the fan of batsman who bat slow and Gavasker was one of the slow batters. now u r taking my post and using it out of context to express ur Jealousy just because i don't like Gavasker who happen to be Indian.. u sir are Pathetic..

one thing i want to make clear here that. supporting Afridi doesn't mean i rate him higher than guys like Ganguly, Moyo, Younis Khan, Kumara Sangkara, Jaywardne, Sachin and alot of others who play less Aggrassive than Afridi.. i just don't like the fact that whenever i say i don't like Dravid Kallies or Gavasker they bring the name of Afridi for no Damn reason..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
excuase me did i mention the name of Afridi some where there in my post? did i even mention anything about opening position or comparing Dhoni and Afridi with Gavasker.. i just said i haven't been the fan of batsman who bat slow and Gavasker was one of the slow batters. now u r taking my post and using it out of context to express ur Jealousy just because i don't like Gavasker who happen to be Indian.. u sir are Pathetic..

one thing i want to make clear here that. supporting Afridi doesn't mean i rate him higher than guys like Ganguly, Moyo, Younis Khan, Kumara Sangkara, Jaywardne, Sachin and alot of others who play less Aggrassive than Afridi.. i just don't like the fact that whenever i say i don't like Dravid Kallies or Gavasker they bring the name of Afridi for no Damn reason..
Lol, you have to admit its funny though?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A lot of negative sentiments, a large part of which has been expressed by the Aussies here. He has had a fair few sharp things to say about Australia and it is only natural that a lof of Australians wont particularly like him for it. I have heard him in the commentary box for the past 10-15 years and he has been excellent. He says a lot of good things about Australians and Australian players too. It is only when he says some thing negative that it gets highlighted more but more often than not, it is him standing for his principles than any thing. For instance, he is a strong advocate of letting the ball do the talking and not indulging in a lot of sleding. He is critical of players from not just Australia when he feels that they go over board on it. He has been a great ambassador for India even post retirement. Sanjay Manjrekar adjudged him the voice of Indian cricket and some thing he aspired towards in an interview a few years back. I am glad that he is part of the Espn-Star commentary box along with the likes of Bhogle, Shastri.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
A lot of negative sentiments, a large part of which has been expressed by the Aussies here. He has had a fair few sharp things to say about Australia and it is only natural that a lof of Australians wont particularly like him for it. I have heard him in the commentary box for the past 10-15 years and he has been excellent. He says a lot of good things about Australians and Australian players too. It is only when he says some thing negative that it gets highlighted more but more often than not, it is him standing for his principles than any thing. For instance, he is a strong advocate of letting the ball do the talking and not indulging in a lot of sleding. He is critical of players from not just Australia when he feels that they go over board on it. He has been a great ambassador for India even post retirement. Sanjay Manjrekar adjudged him the voice of Indian cricket and some thing he aspired towards in an interview a few years back. I am glad that he is part of the Espn-Star commentary box along with the likes of Bhogle, Shastri.
All that is fine Pratyush and correct by and large. The problem, however, with Gavaskar is his penchant for saying scandalously offensive things. For someone who has the air of being one of the game's 'elder statesmen' and gets the respect due to the games elder statesman, he says outrageous things. His comments about David Hookes are a case in point.

In this respect he is like Bishen Bedi. One doesn't always disagree with what Bedi is trying to say but even then the words he uses make one cringe.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
All that is fine Pratyush and correct by and large. The problem, however, with Gavaskar is his penchant for saying scandalously offensive things. For someone who has the air of being one of the game's 'elder statesmen' and gets the respect due to the games elder statesman, he says outrageous things. His comments about David Hookes are a case in point.

In this respect he is like Bishen Bedi. One doesn't always disagree with what Bedi is trying to say but even then the words he uses make one cringe.
Bedi and Gavaskar aren't comparable. Bedi is a lose cannon who speaks nonsense so much. Gavaskar might make an odd comment here or there but so do most commentators.

On the Hookes part, Gavaskar apologised on the comment and it shows that the man is willing to accept where he wrong. No one can be right all the time really.

Sunil Gavaskar has apologised for linking Australian cricketer David Hookes' death with the champion side's poor on-field behaviour, saying his remarks were uncalled for and inappropriate.

"On live television and radio, sometimes you respond on the spur of the moment with a remark that can cause hurt and pain to others. I realise and I accept that what I said was uncalled for and inappropriate," Gavaskar reportedly told SEN radio.

"Having said that, I hope they have the bigness of heart to forgive me for what I said about David Hookes," he was quoted as saying in SEN by the local media.

[Courtesy - Rediff]

bagapath

International Captain
i think he contributed to the over reaction after the sydney test in a huge way. some bad decisions spoilt india's chances of drawing the match, i agree. but by making it sound like a social injustice he added fuel to the fire. i was quite embarassed with the way he referred to hooke's death last year while talking about the "bad aussie" image. now comes this racist accusation against procter. as an indian i want to tell you guys we all dont talk or think like gavaskar. of course we cant bat like him either. but hey he just happens to be the second greatest opening batsman in history but a very dangerous cunning media pundit.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Glad that you are there on the forum to present a balanced view, otherwise majority of the reaction in this thread has been over the top. People making statements like 'Gavaskar is a dick', 'He is a Jackass' etc are clearly derogatory and insulting to this great player. Unfortunately those have made those remarks are so called highly respected members and pointing such hipocrisy from them is considered blasphemy here.

It is also unfortunate that reputed writers like Haigh had to quote him from a book that was written 25-30 years ago to prove their point. In fact that quote is repeated and reproduced everytime someone wants to attack Sunny, it has happened so many times that its kind of irrelevant now and almost expected everytime someone has to take a piss at Gavaskar. No one knows what Gavaskar and his team mates went through in that particular test match and if the Crowd was indeed acting in the way he described in his book, then I dont blame him for calling them a mob and not cricket fans. If anything, it is Mr. Haigh's reputation that has gone down for bringing that issue to prove his point.

Everytime he talks about behavior people bring up his act in Melbourne test in 1982, okay he over-reacted, set a bad example, but apart from that has there been any other incident of that nature in his 20 year career ? He never sledged anyone, never initiated any sort of verbal abuse as a cricketer towards anyone. To me he played his cricket the way it should be played. He admires Aussie cricketers very much, He is one of the biggest fan of Richie Benaud and inspired by his skills as a commentator.

Although I believe that his commentating skills have fallen well below his own high standards, I still want him there. His comments are much more informative and more balanced than the likes of Healy's, Taylor's etc.

Last comment about Michael Slater - Liked his commentary very much until this series started. But he was aweful in this series.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
People making statements like 'Gavaskar is a dick', 'He is a Jackass' etc are clearly derogatory and insulting to this great player.
Nope. You can be a jackass and a great former player at the same time. See Shane Warne. No-one has for a second questioned Gavaskar's skill as a player.
Unfortunately those have made those remarks are so called highly respected members and pointing such hipocrisy from them is considered blasphemy here.
:laugh: What people hope to gain by comments like this I just don't know. Utterly stupid.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unfortunately, Gavaskar has now deteriorated to the extent where he is simply a slightly more relevant version of Neil Harvey - stick a microphone in front of him and wait for the headline

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Unfortunately, Gavaskar has now deteriorated to the extent where he is simply a slightly more relevant version of Neil Harvey - stick a microphone in front of him and wait for the headline
That simply is not true. He had the microphone in front of him plenty of times during the BG series and he did okay. But I am not surprised at your reaction, predictable as always.

social

That simply is not true. He had the microphone in front of him plenty of times during the BG series and he did okay. But I am not surprised at your reaction, predictable as always.
Masses of evidence to the contrary, I'm afraid.

When he talks about cricket technique and strategy, he's great

Anything involving personalities and especially India, well....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Only if you could leave your prejudices aside, It is Gavaskar's articles (and not his commentary) that have created majority of ill will towards him. I heard him a lot and throughout this series nothing he said falls in that category you described (i.e. 'stick a microphone in front of him and wait for the headline')

I would prefer Gavaskar's commentry anyday ahead of Taylor, Healy etc despite his decline.

social

Only if you could leave your prejudices aside, It is Gavaskar's articles (and not his commentary) that have created majority of ill will towards him. I heard him a lot and throughout this series nothing he said falls in that category you described (i.e. 'stick a microphone in front of him and wait for the headline')

I would prefer Gavaskar's commentry anyday ahead of Taylor, Healy etc despite his decline.
Sorry, I forgot Sunny was an Indian

That being the case, the brilliance and consistency of his batting has only ever been matched by cosidered logic of his written and spoken word*

*(This statement has been bought and paid for by the BCCI and does not reflect the opinion of anyone living or dead)