• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB not a fan of ducks

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Haha yeah I dunno why I wrote worst.

Hoping he gets a duck soon tbh so the attention can go to Jimmy Anderson who has 41 innings without a duck.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Funny to see Jimmy Anderson with 41 innings without a duck. I would be so surprised if he (AB) could go his whole career without getting a duck, however with possibly 12 years left in him, I am highly doubtful.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Ross Taylor making his move up the list with 19 innings without a duck.
Shakib Al Hasan has lasted 13 innings, pretty high for a Bangladeshi.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And has now dismissed ABdeV for his first ICC-recognised Test duck. I wouldn't count it as it's against Bangladesh, but obviously that means he loses several duckless innings' as well.

kingkallis

International Coach
Finally......it was a pathetic way to get out though! He falls in same class as Gibbs - all talent no brains!

Langeveldt

Soutie
And has now dismissed ABdeV for his first ICC-recognised Test duck. I wouldn't count it as it's against Bangladesh, but obviously that means he loses several duckless innings' as well.
Surely poor play should count twice as much when it's against a woeful side like Bangladesh?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely poor play should count twice as much when it's against a woeful side like Bangladesh?
The theory is whether someone plays poorly or not is irrelevant, as a win for SA is already guaranteed in 99% of cases. Hence all the irrelevant innings are excluded from any stats.

Wouldn't go so far as to apply it in this case though. Dicko's just on the lookout for an opportunity to hammer home one of his fervently-held opinions (albeit one that i agree with).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Sad day today for me, I saw the score at lunch as 2/90 odd and heard about a big 223 run partnership, figured AB had scored low, but not this low :(

79 innings before his first duck, wonderful achievement.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, but a Test is a Test, and you can't say Bangladesh are worthy of being classed a Test team when a player fails against them but not when he succeeds.

They either are or they aren't. For me, they aren't.

I'm sure ABdeV has played poorly against woeful sides before, be they his local under-15 side 9 years ago, be they Western Province B, or be they a second-string Dolphins attack. This thread, though, is about the fact that he's managed to avoid scoring a duck in Test cricket, with other levels being left be for the purpose of this.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The theory is whether someone plays poorly or not is irrelevant, as a win for SA is already guaranteed in 99% of cases. Hence all the irrelevant innings are excluded from any stats.

Wouldn't go so far as to apply it in this case though. Dicko's just on the lookout for an opportunity to hammer home one of his fervently-held opinions (albeit one that i agree with).
I'm not really TBH. It's just it (unfortunately) applies very often. I always like to mention, whenever Bangladesh are involved in anything, that I don't consider them Test-class. People already deliberately selectively read what I write about first-chance scores so they can accuse me of double-standards, hypocrisy, selectivity of my own, etc.; I don't give them the chance on the Test\ODI-class team matter.

However, I just fancied digging this thread before someone else did, given that I was online when the terrible matter happened.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Agreed.. About the only other thing me and Richard share, apart from a first name..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If Richard makes a post in a forest & there's no-one to read it, is it still irritating, repetitious horsefetch?