• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Larwood the chucker?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Legend has it that when Les Ames saw first this footage almost 40 years after the Bodyline Series he nearly fell off his chair.

To chuck or not to chuck?
Mcgrath, Lillee, Imran to name a few were found in a study about half a decade ago to of had bends like that. Obviously the camera view we see on TV does not exaggerate it like that but I would not be surprised if the 'chuck' was to the same extent.

Chucking can provide very steep bounce (having seen one bowl bouncers off a length at about 63mph), could it be the reason that he was adjudged to be so quick?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I don't really pretend to know anything about fast bowling and fast bowling actions, but that seems a bit dodgy to me.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think archie posted something on here about a performance Bradman used to give when doing after-dinner speaking in the 60s. He'd show the crowd film of a left-handed bowler and, almost to a man, they agreed there was a distinct kink in the bowler's elbow. As you've probably already guessed it was actually reversed film of Larwood in action.

I've thought it before when I've seen some clips of Lol, in all honesty, but the one there actually looks fine to me.

EDIT: archie's original post.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I think archie posted something on here about a performance Bradman used to give when doing after-dinner speaking in the 60s. He'd show the crowd film of a left-handed bowler and, almost to a man, they agreed there was a distinct kink in the bowler's elbow. As you've probably already guessed it was actually reversed film of Larwood in action
Lol, who knew that Bradman was such a genius:):laugh:

With more and more great fast bowlers being revealed to chuck it a bit to get the extra yard of pace, it makes me wish I could throw with my left hand. Unfortunately, I can only throw with the right hand.

archie mac

International Coach
On some old footage Lindwall also seems to have a slightly bent arm, but at the height of the chucking debate in the late 50s early 60s he was thought to have one of the most pure actions:ph34r:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's interesting to see how close the keeper is standing up...how fast was Larwood supposed to be does anyone know?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think he once said that he was measured at 100mph
No-one'll ever know, there was no timing technology.

It's fairly safe, though, in my mind, to guess that bowlers had the same tools to bowl at the same speeds in the 1930s that they do today.

(Sorry - I have said this before and don't want to be going over the same old stuff... :unsure:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Legend has it that when Les Ames saw first this footage almost 40 years after the Bodyline Series he nearly fell off his chair.

To chuck or not to chuck?
As many people have noted, it's possible to discover vaguaries in any bowling-action if you look closely enough. In October 2004, we found-out why this is: there are vaguaries in every bowler's action. Some are more superficially apparent than others' - that particular piece of film makes that one Larwood ball look very suspicious, and you could do this for absolutely any bowler in history.

Fact of the matter is, the human eye is a poor judge of the matter. In those days, we'll never truly know, and can only wildly speculate - and in doing so risk throwing mud into places where it is absurdly unnecessary to throw it.

JBH001

International Regular
I did not see anything wrong in that action at all.

Actually I thought it quote fluid and lovely. Of course it is at the wrong action to judge.

On some old footage Lindwall also seems to have a slightly bent arm, but at the height of the chucking debate in the late 50s early 60s he was thought to have one of the most pure actions:ph34r:
But did not Lindwall model his action on Larwoods?
And one reason, I think, he did bowl slightly round arm was that he did not have the same wiry muscular strength as Larwood to deliver the ball in the same way that Larwood did.

BoyBrumby said:
I think archie posted something on here about a performance Bradman used to give when doing after-dinner speaking in the 60s. He'd show the crowd film of a left-handed bowler and, almost to a man, they agreed there was a distinct kink in the bowler's elbow. As you've probably already guessed it was actually reversed film of Larwood in action.
Also, jeez, that was unworthy of Bradman. Talk about being a sore loser!
Get over it already, Don.

lol!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It seems, to me, most out-of-character for Bradman, actually. It's almost mischevious, in its own way - something you'd never, ever associate with him normally.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Not least of all by himself: "I'm the last of the straight-arm bowlers."

neville cardus

International Debutant
Not legend; it really did happen -- in 1977, to be precise. According to Frithy (who viewed the footage with Ames), he cried out, "Well, I never!"

When Donald Trelford saw it, he took his suspicions to print -- only to be swept aside by a veritable tidal wave of chagrin. When he asked Bob Wyatt for his view, the old cricketer replied, in a manner so careful that it might well have been rehearsed, "I have no reason to believe that he was [a chucker], but he was very fast."

Larwood's action was never questioned during his playing days. "Chucking," reckons John Woodcock, "wasn't a subject in players' minds at that time".

Last edited: