• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst dropped catch in the history of the game

archie mac

International Coach
At least it wasn't on his debut. And it didn't cost England the Test. And he had plenty more opportunities to redeem himself.

Oh... :ph34r:
:laugh: When I read the first line of your reply I thought you had stuffed up!

I read where one of the other pros (can't remember which one) said to Fred 'Don't worry Fred they will forget all about it in a couple of days, it's only a game, go up and get your money'

pup11

International Coach
I think Gibbs dropping Steve Waugh in the Super 6 game in the 99 WC and Bracken dropping Gibbs in the 434 run-chase game are probably two of the most significant drops in the history of the game.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
One I saw on ESPN Classic last year which was funny. During the Lord's test in the 1985 Ashes Mike Gatting caught the ball (bat pad off one of Edmonds and Emburey) threw it in the air to celebrate and it fell on to the ground. The umpire (Dickie Bird I think) deemed he hadn't maintained control of the ball and gave the batsman not out. Unfortunately the batsman was Border, he went on to make 196, and it probably cost England their first win over Australia at Lord's since you know when (in that 1985 series it was usually a case of "Border out, Australia out")

Days of Grace

International Captain
Jimmy Franklin dropped a sitter off Clarke when Aussie were already in trouble in the tri-nations series this year. Of course, aussie go on to win the game, ffs.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Ian Healy missing the stumping in Pakistan which would have been Australias first series win in Pakistan in a long time.

I'm confident if he had of caught the ball he would have wipped off the bails in time.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
IIRC, Gooch was dropped on the way to his triple ton V India in 90
Yeah, the keeper dropped him when he'd made about 30.

Another biggie was Thorpe dropping Elliott (I think) at Leeds in 1997. Aus would have been struggling at 60odd for 5, instead Elliott & Ponting added hundreds to set up Aus going ahead in the series.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
hameed dropping dravid in rawalpindi in 2004.
dravid went onto make 270.
he was in single figures and won india a first test series in pakistan

pup11

International Coach
Atleast South Africa would have made it into the finals of an ICC tournament then...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Didn't the Durham keeper drop Lara on 29 or something, on his way to 501? Must be the most expensive miss ever.

Reputedly he said "I bet he ges on to get a hundred now."
didnt hussain drop smith on nought after forgeting his name and then smith went on to make a double hundred
Herschelle Gibbs did drop the World Cup in 99.
Warne dropping Kp, 2005 ashes.
Courtney Browne dropped a couple costly cathces. Can't remember details but I think the second one was on Australia's last tour of WI and he dropped Waugh IIRC.
Courtney Browne dropped Steve Waugh at an incredibly crucial moment. Many folks in the Caribbean think that he basically dropped the Frank Worrell Trophy.

More recently he dropped Inzi 1st ball against Pakistan. Inzi made a hundred and Pakistan won a tight victory to tie the series 1-1. That was the epitome of dropping a series win and it was the last test he ever played.
The most famous would still be that of poor old Fred Tate:ph34r:
Yeah, the keeper (More) dropped him (Gooch) when he'd made about 30.

Another biggie was Thorpe dropping Elliott (I think) at Leeds in 1997. Aus would have been struggling at 60odd for 5, instead Elliott & Ponting added hundreds to set up Aus going ahead in the series.
hameed dropping dravid in rawalpindi in 2004.
dravid went onto make 270.
he was in single figures and won india a first test series in pakistan
Agree with all of these. Impossible to say that any one was worse than the other - they were all awful. Makes you wish catching catches wasn't a neccessity to get batsmen out, really.

Sean's mention of Fred Tate forgot to include one thing - "I have a boy at home who will put all that right for me". And Maurice did indeed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How about the easiest clanger you've ever seen shelled?

Surely KP's effort the other day would be hard to beat?
Nah, Graham Thorpe off Richard Dawson (Sanjay Bangar being the batsman) is impossible to beat IMO. Never seen a simpler one put down, even on Sunday (or Wednesday) at Exeter CC.

Just a leading-edge, dolly's pace, straight to him, nice easy chest height, could have gone with up or down hands, but somehow missed it.

Might have had something to do with the same circumstances that meant the poor bloke had to fly home at the end of the Test. :(