• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst dropped catch in the history of the game

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Wade Seccombe dropping Stuart MacGill when NSW had one wicket remaining in the Pura Cup Final. It won't be the worst one ever but it's one of the more significant ones in my lifetime and one which certainly lost Queensland the game.

As far as sitters go, Langeveldt dropping Lee at Perth was just dire. And that one where the English player dropped the ball from a lob over the stumps for a run out. There's a classic video on Youtube.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
  1. Any of Dravid's drops as keeper can come, but in a Test match in Sharjah in 2002, there was one drop that takes the cake- mid-on, a Pakistani batsman offers a catch to Pedro Collins, who drops it. Can't get worse than that.
  2. Guyana, 2002. Hooper on zero. Srinath gets a good edge to Deep Dasgupta. Drop. Two hundred and thirty three. Not to mention, there are three hundred and nine reasons you don't even drop Sehwag once, let alone five times as the Pakistanis did in Multan in 2004.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Sean's mention of Fred Tate forgot to include one thing - "I have a boy at home who will put all that right for me". And Maurice did indeed.
Romantic though it may be to record that Fred thenceforth devoted every possible moment to nurturing his son into the cricketer who would one day amend the escutcheon, young Maurice was in fact allowed to grow up in perfect normality, without any of the coercive pressures that other, more preponderant fathers would've applied. Certainly, M.W. Tate didn't become great owing to any paternal teachings; it was, as we know, quite by accident.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, no, I certainly wasn't intending to suggest such.

Just that Fred had some consolation in Maurice.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It looked fairly friendly to me when I was in my relatively early CW days too. I soon found-out - as they all do - the perils of The Terrible Rolleyes.

Thanks for the to-make-it-up. :)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
  1. Any of Dravid's drops as keeper can come, but in a Test match in Sharjah in 2002, there was one drop that takes the cake- mid-on, a Pakistani batsman offers a catch to Pedro Collins, who drops it. Can't get worse than that.
  2. Guyana, 2002. Hooper on zero. Srinath gets a good edge to Deep Dasgupta. Drop. Two hundred and thirty three. Not to mention, there are three hundred and nine reasons you don't even drop Sehwag once, let alone five times as the Pakistanis did in Multan in 2004.
Collins is an atrocious fielder though so.......

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Collins is an atrocious fielder though so.......
"This could have been early jitters for the Indian opening pair. Luckily for them, Pedro doesn't catch much" - Christy Simson, ESPN/STAR

Sehwag scooped one over third-man and Collins was standing there, for the catch. He dropped it.

There was one embarassing drop later, in the infield, by Cuffy. "This is embarassing! You have 40,000 people watching you!"- Sidhu.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, Graham Thorpe off Richard Dawson (Sanjay Bangar being the batsman) is impossible to beat IMO. Never seen a simpler one put down, even on Sunday (or Wednesday) at Exeter CC.

Just a leading-edge, dolly's pace, straight to him, nice easy chest height, could have gone with up or down hands, but somehow missed it.

Might have had something to do with the same circumstances that meant the poor bloke had to fly home at the end of the Test. :(
Indeed mate, I should have mentioned that - well spotted. :)

Incidentally, Fred Tate's figures in the second innings of "his" Test match were: 5-3-7-2. No one ever remembers that, sadly.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Paul Reiffel palming Klusener's straight drive over the boundary for six in the 1999 semi-final could have been one of the most significant drops ever, but we all know what happened soon after...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Paul Reiffel palming Klusener's straight drive over the boundary for six in the 1999 semi-final could have been one of the most significant drops ever, but we all know what happened soon after...
was abt to mention that...

Also Healy's drop of Lara in that 1999 test at Barbados. Not easy or simple, but what an effect it would have had.....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Also Healy's drop of Lara in that 1999 test at Barbados. Not easy or simple, but what an effect it would have had.....
... not easy or simple, but catchable beyond doubt.

I have little doubt, TBH, that had that catch been taken those who claim Lara > Tendulkar would have no leg to stand on.