• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fast Bowler 1992-2007

Who is the best fast bowler according to you?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
just wait on..Bishop was a very very fine bowler, one of my faves in the last 20 years in fact. But lets not get too excited about him. I think that call about him possibly being superior to the likes of Garner, Holding, Roberts is maybe stretching it a little too far
Garner and Holding maybe more equals than superiors, but his talent, even after two horrific injuries, was sensational. He, a bit like Allan Donald and Malcolm Marshall, seemed to be the complete bowler. Everyone spoke highly of him, and in the short career he managed he achieved much of note.

I don't see why he couldn't be in the 2nd category behind Marshall and Ambrose. I've never found much to split Garner and Holding, for instance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Um, he bends his elbow. Whether it is more than 15 degrees, I cannot say. But I can see the bend (and not RP Singh hyper extension bend). I can also see the bend in Sreesanth, who is in a similar boat (I do not know if he exceeds 15 degrees either). RP Singh has a bend too, but it has hyper extension. Akhtar has hyper extention, but the bend is in addition to that.
Eh? I don't understand. So sometimes his arm bends backwards, sometimes forwards? :huh: If so, it's patent cheating, as it's a completely different action.

I've never heard anything suggesting his arm bends forwards at all. Mind, most bowlers' arms do, I suppose.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Eh? I don't understand. So sometimes his arm bends backwards, sometimes forwards? :huh: If so, it's patent cheating, as it's a completely different action.

I've never heard anything suggesting his arm bends forwards at all. Mind, most bowlers' arms do, I suppose.
Watch that youtube video when you are able. Akhtar's action combines both a negative bend (hyper-extension) initially and a positive bend (chucking, if over 15 degrees) later on.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
This is RP Singh's hyper extension:

Here is Shoaib's hyper extension:

Now, since the elbow is bent backwards, you should not be able to see that extention from front on view (since TV is two dimensional).

Here is RP Singh's action front on:

No noticable bend.

Look at Akhtar now:

See the difference? That is what Holding (and myself) are saying about his action. It is completely different from hyper extension, which Shoaib has and is perfectly OK. It is the positive bend that is not OK (or at least might not be OK if that bend is over 15 degrees).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That front-on of Shoaib still looks like it could perfectly possibly be backwards-bending to me. I don't see why you simply presume it's forwards-bending?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That front-on of Shoaib still looks like it could perfectly possibly be backwards-bending to me. I don't see why you simply presume it's forwards-bending?
Because it would be impossible to see hyper extension on a two dimensional screen with a front on angle. Look at the angle of the elbow, shoulder and wrist. They would be in line if it was hyper extension. The angular difference is what tells you that it is not hyper extension. Look at RP Singh's front on...that delivery has hyper extention but you cannot see it because front on (i.e the shoulder wrist and elbow are in line).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why? The angle of the shoulder, to me, says that it could perfectly conveivably be a backwards-bend.

Shoaib's chest-to-forearm angle is roughly 135deg; RP's is virtually 90.

open365

International Vice-Captain
:-O @ RP Singh's arm, i watched 7 overs of him today and his arm looks as straight as a gun, did the Sky broadcast point that out?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't quite understand what you are saying.
OK... Shoaib's forearm (ie, shoulder-to-elbow part) is much more horizontal than RP's (at least on that shot). Yes?

RP's is pretty much completely vertical. Shoaib's is not. Therefore, were his arm 180deg straight, it'd go out at (taking - in the photo - upwards as zero-degrees and Shoaib's left-hand side as 270) 45deg, yes?

This is kinda easy to get mixed-up when there are two sets of angles under discussion, but I hope you see what I mean?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Wasim Akram the most skilled, Ambrose the best overall, McGrath made the most of his talent, Donald my fave by a mile.

Wasim could do stuff with a ball most can only dream of. What he might have achieved with more attention-to-detail almost begats thinking about.

Oh yeah - Angus Fraser > one or two of the bowlers on the list too, IMO. And not sure Waqar really deserves too much of a mention as from 1995 onwards he wasn't that much of a bowler.
I can't really think of anything Donald might have done differently to become better, TBH, but I'm sure there must be something. :) He had the complete package more than anyone except Akram. And was quite possibly a better bowler than McGrath IMO.
True, not actually sure what inujury acutally declined Waqar as a bowler post 95, but i pretty sure what he did between 92-95 (though i'm not sure if this was the cut off point of that career decling injury) but its clear to see by these thats that even during this short period that he was as good as any of the bowlers from 92-2007.

Fusion

Global Moderator
See the difference? That is what Holding (and myself) are saying about his action. It is completely different from hyper extension, which Shoaib has and is perfectly OK. It is the positive bend that is not OK (or at least might not be OK if that bend is over 15 degrees).
Shoaib's hyperextension is the most extreme I've ever seen though. Take a look at this short video. It's truly mind-boggling.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
When you take wickets at the rate he does, there really is no need for bowling 10 over spells.
Yes, but there have also been times when after three overs, he's lost 10 or 15% and is a much easier proposition. That's not good enough.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
OK... Shoaib's forearm (ie, shoulder-to-elbow part) is much more horizontal than RP's (at least on that shot). Yes?

RP's is pretty much completely vertical. Shoaib's is not. Therefore, were his arm 180deg straight, it'd go out at (taking - in the photo - upwards as zero-degrees and Shoaib's left-hand side as 270) 45deg, yes?

This is kinda easy to get mixed-up when there are two sets of angles under discussion, but I hope you see what I mean?

Forearm is the part from the elbow to the wrists, not the shoulder to the elbow.