• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team's alltime XI is best?

Which alltime XI would enjoy the most success against its counterparts?

• Total voters

short shorts

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pakistan's batting doesn't measure up. And saying Laker would have struggled in the 80s while Qadir would have flourished in Lakers time is highly ridiculous in the degree of bias. I can only hope the all-time Pakistan batting doesn't run into Muralitharan or Warne on a sticky uncovered wicket in that case.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Could an all-time New Zealand XI beat an all-time Sri Lankan XI??
I think so. It would depend on what type of pitches they play on. I would give the edge to New Zealand on pitches outside the subcontinent. Hadlee was a class apart, but Murali would do some damage against NZ batsman, especially at home.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Australia, but readily admit I'm biased.

Would be extremely close between Aus & WI imo. I just can't get over the Bradman factor tbh. If it's a 3 or 5 test series, he might fail in 1 or at most 2 tests, but his influence would be huge.

Warne would also be a factor imo, especially if a large number of the WI side were batsmen from their golden era in the 80s.

Having said all that, the 4 WI quicks (if they went that way) would be amazing to watch.

bagapath

International Captain
Didnt know warne and Murali are picked up for All time Eng 11???:-O 8-)

Laker> Qadir.......veery very debatable...Laker was Bowler who played on un-convered wickets....not to bring the level of partiality among umpire (not that Qadir had HAwk Eye for an umpire).

Qadir on other hand played when Leg spin was dead and revived the art again in era where wickets were covered and that took the sting out of alot of bowlers(specially spinner)....Lakers stat look impressive but still if he had to bowl in 80's on covered wickets against the batsmen who had better facilities (interms of TV replay's, Video tapes) to look at bowler before they face him.....and bowling in era where (for sure) Umpires had to be more more impartial than in 50's and 60's....all these factors considered i highly doubt that he would have matched qadir's figures............on the flip side you put qadir in Laker Era, where someone with the variety that qadir had and un covered wickets, he is more likely of doing as good as Laker interms of # of wickets.....maybe even better than him.
a lot of these points are just speculations. the argument can go on endlessly. so i am going to stick to what the numbers are. qadir averaged 11 runs - ELEVEN RUNS - more per wicket than Laker. and took 2 overs - TWO OVERS - more to take each wicket. please... dont insult laker by comparing him with qadir. in fact, qadir played his cricket immediately after bedi and chandra and prasanna retired. all of them were better than him - check their stats, please. laker was better than that trio. qadir will have to come much much below in the ranks of post war spinners. warne>murali>laker>tayfield>benaud>bedi>underwood>chandra>kumble>gibbs>saqlain>prasanna and then qadir. after that would be harbhajan and mushtaq.

as far qadir keeping the traditions of leg spin alive, a point his fans usually make, i dont care much. he could bowl leg spin so he bowled it to stay in the team. it was the only thing he could do and has got nothing to do with preserving a historical art alive! in fact, he should be lucky there was no competition for him. would he have played 60 odd tests otherwise?

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
pakistani bowling attack is as strong as anybody

in the batting department the team would struggle - against pacers

spinners - no problem

Engle

State Vice-Captain
An old BBC tape (pre-Warne) showed amazing footage of all the great bowlers. It concluded by the author listing his top 3 : Lindwall, Barnes and Qadir.
Numbers are to be considered, but so too the reports. Gooch listed Qadir as more difficult to read than Warne. Benaud rated him highly. Warne inspired by him.
And history will record him as the one who kept the spinners torch alight at a time when the quickies ran rampant.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So Qadir not a World class spinner??
Qadir was not a World Class legspinner,

U Do Surprise me with your lack of knowledge/understanding of game called cricket......over and over again.
Yeah and I can bet you know all about Derek Underwood, Tony Lock, Jim Laker, Headley Verity, Wilfre Rhodes, Bobby Peel, Johnny Briggs etc.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Laker> Qadir.......veery very debatable...Laker was Bowler who played on un-convered wickets....not to bring the level of partiality among umpire (not that Qadir had HAwk Eye for an umpire).
Partiality among Umpires ? Did you really watch Cricket and umpiring in Pakistan in the 80s ?

Bouncer

State Regular
An old BBC tape (pre-Warne) showed amazing footage of all the great bowlers. It concluded by the author listing his top 3 : Lindwall, Barnes and Qadir.
Numbers are to be considered, but so too the reports. Gooch listed Qadir as more difficult to read than Warne. Benaud rated him highly. Warne inspired by him.
And history will record him as the one who kept the spinners torch alight at a time when the quickies ran rampant.
Thank You for knowing what you are talking about.

Bouncer

State Regular
Partiality among Umpires ? Did you really watch Cricket and umpiring in Pakistan in the 80s ?
Did u read my post completely, i said not that Qadir had Hawk Eye as umpire and that means that not all of qadir's decision are fair

Qadir was not a World Class legspinner.
U people surprise me how your personal inferiority complex for losing to Pak over generations results in coming up with such statements....read below

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1267333&postcount=67

Last edited:

Bouncer

State Regular
I think so. It would depend on what type of pitches they play on. I would give the edge to New Zealand on pitches outside the subcontinent. Hadlee was a class apart, but Murali would do some damage against NZ batsman, especially at home.

That would be heck of a contest...Murali would still get NZ batsmen in alot of trouble on NZ pitches...but if the game is in SL, how are we going to make Hadlee to go and play in SL????
Not sure hadlee is even going to waana tour tour SL or anywhere in subcontinent...and that is one of the reason i rate MArshall higher than Hadell and botham as he didnt mind touring Subcontinent and still took wickets.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
George Headley, Why do people repeatedly forget George Headley? The man only averaged 61 in test cricket.
The man only played 22 tests. Australia may as well count Hussey in there, then.

sachin asked the don at his 90th birthday party how he much he would have averaged against the west indian pace battery of the 80s. the don had said "may be around 70". sachin asked if he thought they were too good that they would have brought his average down by 30 runs?. the don is supposed to have said 'son, i would have been over 70 years old. do you expect me to do better than that?"
LOL

I went with Australia. They have the best batsman of all time (Bradman) and probably the most balanced bowling attack as well (with two of the best fast bowlers of all time and arguably the greatest spinner of all time). I would place the WI second for their superb middle order which includes IMO the best allrounder of all time (Sobers) and their pace attack. Third would go to either England or SA. After that I would have:
5. Pakistan
6. India
7. SL
8. NZ
Yeah, I'd have to agree with this. McGrath Warne and Lillee are more balanced and trump the quartet for me. I also think Warne would have had something on the Windies batsmen. And the batting talent is by no means just the Don. In Langer and Hayden you have an opening partnership that rivals the greatest - even the Windies. The middle order is quite easily Australia again, Bradman, Ponting, Chappell, Gilchrist (the best keeper of all time - yes I am factoring in his batting), Waugh...take your pick. Without Bradman, I'd say they're slightly less stronger than the Windies, but then again, it'd be like me saying let's leave out Sobers.

P.S. I am biased, but it shouldn't take away from anything I've said here. :D

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
U people surprise me how your personal inferiority complex for losing to Pak over generations results in coming up with such statements....read below

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1267333&postcount=67
What Nonsense. First you question my knowledge and then question my intent. This is not Gupshup or Pakistanimedia and you will not be applauded for this sort of response.

If Qadir were world Class I would have said so. England have produced much better spinners than Qadir and have very clear advantage in that department with lot of options as opposed Pakistan having only Qadir.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
A very important question would be, if it were between Australia and West Indies: which pitch would they play on? Even in regards to era... and so on.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Did u read my post completely, i said not that Qadir had Hawk Eye as umpire and that means that not all of qadir's decision are fair
Then why bring the umpiring part ? If there was one generation of bowlers that had clear advantage of biased Umpring at home then it was the Qadir's generation of Pakistani bowlers. The guy has an average of 26 @ home and away average of 47. That's worse than Ashley Giles.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A very important question would be, if it were between Australia and West Indies: which pitch would they play on? Even in regards to era... and so on.
I'd prefer to look at it as to who would have the better overall team to tackle all conditions, rather than who would win a one-off match.

Bouncer

State Regular
Yeah thats an interesting Qs to ask...

Reminds me of time when both Pak and WI were touring together in AUS in 1981 i belive.......now both team captains had complaints about where both teams were given opening test matches, Pak got their first game at WACA (and got bowled out for 60 odd)and they were complaining Why did we get WACA..:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Where as WI were complaining WHY MAAAN! Why didnt we get WACA:cool: :cool: