• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket on YouTube

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I was really surprised by Bedser. He looks about as quick as Paul Collingwood. Must have been a special bowler to take all those wickets at that pace.
I see cricinfo lists Bedser as medium-fast. That surprised me. Growing up, everything I read put him firmly in the medium camp. - nothing more. I don't think anyone put him much quicker than Gooch or Butcher.

On that note. Rob, do you have many of Gooch's Test wickets on vid? I'd love to see a compilation.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I see cricinfo lists Bedser as medium-fast. That surprised me. Growing up, everything I read put him firmly in the medium camp. - nothing more. I don't think anyone put him much quicker than Gooch or Butcher.

On that note. Rob, do you have many of Gooch's Test wickets on vid? I'd love to see a compilation.
So how did he take over 200 test wickets?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
So how did he take over 200 test wickets?
By being a good bowler, simple as that, imo. I think it is a mistake to think that the modern bowlers who bowl 70mph (Collingwood, Ganguly, Pollard etc) are the most skilled at doing so, most are part-timers. If you look at Chaminda Vaas at the end of his career, he bowled spells at approximately 70mph in Test cricket and batsmen genuinely struggled.

I think it was a lower standard of cricket back then, but I also think Bedser would have made a fair few (at the very least) Test batsmen struggle if he'd played these days.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Virender Shewag is right up there with Adam Gilchurch in the all time ranks I hear.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Butbutbut, McGrath doesn't swing the ball! He's only straight up-and-down!!

(apparently)

But seriously, where's the yorker he castled Sohail with at The Gabba? The **** was on 99, hitting them well and had his off-stump removed by a reverse-swinging nightmare ball.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How good the lead-up to the second one, though? Just got progressively fuller with balls that went away/in/away/in and you could see Smith getting toey as McGrath's line got tigher. Then rather than going away again, threw in the in-swinger when, by Smith's shot, looked like he was feeling for the one going the other way.

Just so good. Shows you how much more important it is to have a plan and build pressure than to go for the magic ball all the time.

Last edited: