• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It had to happen eventually

Craig

World Traveller
At this rate they won't be playing any Test cricket at all.

The official reason is that it is a World Cup season so that they feel it could improve 'certain aspects' of their ODI game (or for more money then what the Test would bring in since the Test would be poorly attendend (sp is that right?) and therfore not enough revenue) and if the Test started on November 29, the unpredictible weather would be a factor. So just the standard two Tests for Sri Lanka and New Zealand.

After that their next Test series is not until the 07/08 tour by South Africa :mellow:

A certain pilot/photographer/South African cricket fan/anti Twenty20 member will just love this. :laugh: :p

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
New Zealand will now play two Tests in the next seventeen months.
Absolutely farcial isn't it? :@

Do they not want their Test status? I remember some years ago when I was just really getting into the sport (around the 98/99 season) someone I was speaking too, was of the opinion New ealand should give away Test cricket and just play ODI stuff, is now right about 7 and a half years on? :mellow: :blink:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be fair though Neil, they'd only been given 3 tests in the same 17 month period!

Seems a bit silly that in the same time, England have 16 Tests...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
NZ have cancelled a Test in order to play 2 Twenty20 games.
And to rest/practise whatever for another week. No way does one Test equate to two Twenty20 games in terms of scheduling, allowing rest periods etc.

Blaze

Banned
I'm pretty sure we lose money rather than make it, but couldn't be certain.

This sort of thing as a NZ fan turns me away from cricket and towards other sports...

archie mac

International Coach
Blaze said:
I'm pretty sure we lose money rather than make it, but couldn't be certain.

This sort of thing as a NZ fan turns me away from cricket and towards other sports...
I can understand that, I would not be happy if Aust. only played three Tests in 17 months, and then dropped one of those 3 :@

Especially since I refuse to watch 20/20 crap, unless James makes me cover it for CW :D

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Didn't it ever occur to reschedule so the third test starts on Boxing Day? When was the last time NZ had a Boxing Day test anyway? :(

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
If NZC care about the fans in this country, they would increase our test load rather than cram more one-dayers in. But Twenty20?

It smacks of a) anxiety if we get more pre-Christmas test matches which are over quickly due to the dodginess of our pitches and b) an over-emphasis on the World Cup.

To me it is rather short-sighted of Mr Sneddon. As it is we have a one-day series against Australia and England right before the World Cup as well as the Champions Trophy in November. So its quality and adequate preparation.

If New Zealand are to increase their credibility in the eyes of the Indias, Englands and Australias of the cricket world, getting better at test cricket is the only way. Winning a World Cup, full of mismatches until the quarter-finals anyway, will simply increase the disparity between New Zealand's one-day and test fortunes.

In saying that, having only three tests scheduled was a joke to start with.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
To be fair though Neil, they'd only been given 3 tests in the same 17 month period!

Seems a bit silly that in the same time, England have 16 Tests...
Did NZ Cricket refuse tests with likes of Bangladesh etc (countries they do not want to play Tests with) while countries like India shunned touring NZ for fear of how it might affect their players confidance before a World Cup ?

I can understand countries with packed Test schedules playing shorter version of the game instead of Tests just prior to a World Cup, but does not make sense if your Test calendar only has 3 Tests for 18 months and you decide to cut it down to 2 , even if it were against us (SL):D .

Craig

World Traveller
JASON said:
Did NZ Cricket refuse tests with likes of Bangladesh etc (countries they do not want to play Tests with) while countries like India shunned touring NZ for fear of how it might affect their players confidance before a World Cup ?

I can understand countries with packed Test schedules playing shorter version of the game instead of Tests just prior to a World Cup, but does not make sense if your Test calendar only has 3 Tests for 18 months and you decide to cut it down to 2 , even if it were against us (SL):D .
Shhhhhhhhhh! It was a mutual arguement.