• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It had to happen eventually

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Craig said:
Shhhhhhhhhh! It was a mutual arguement.
I would love to know how you would have fitted in a tour to NZ given that India will be in RSA till January and WC starts in March and the players made it clear that they need at least 3 weeks with their families before the big event.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Scrap the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy.

(also: what's wrong with a Test in late November? That's like late May in England, or am I missing something about NZ climate?)

Blaze

Banned
Samuel_Vimes said:
Scrap the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy.

(also: what's wrong with a Test in late November? That's like late May in England, or am I missing something about NZ climate?)
Pitches wouldn't be ready in late November..

I like the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy, so far it has been great.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why are people mad?

If 1000 people show up for tests and 25,000 for ODI or Twenty20, why should the administrators schedule test matches?

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Blaze said:
I agree - barring Auckland's match, the rest have been right down to the wire, a rarity in ODI's.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
silentstriker said:
Why are people mad?

If 1000 people show up for tests and 25,000 for ODI or Twenty20, why should the administrators schedule test matches?
At the moment in England, there is still a post-Ashes euphoria, and just about any Test, ODI or Twenty20 match is going to sell out - owing to the success of England's test cricket team only.

If the only diet on offer is Twenty20 or ODI's, I'm afraid that interest in the game over here will be gone as quickly as you can say 'Who gives a toss about cricket where you require the attention span of a goldfish?'

I can't speak for the rest of the world though, but I hope your suggestion leaves them as cold as it leaves me.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Blaze said:
Pitches wouldn't be ready in late November..

Even after 7 ODIs in Australia immediately preceding it?

Honestly, India and Pakistan get slated for scheduling meaningless ODI series, but that one surely takes the cake.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
silentstriker said:
Why are people mad?

Are those actual official figures or just made up by you?

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Are those actual official figures or just made up by you?
I'm pretty sure the Basin will get 3-5,000 over 4 days against Sri Lanka and about 16,000 at most for an ODI against the same opposition at the Westpac stadium.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
silentstriker said:
Why are people mad?

That's a ridiculous post. Why are people mad?

Fair enough, you can have your own opinion as to ODIs over tests and what not, but many cricket fans, including NZers, enjoy watching test cricket and for their country to only have 2 tests in 17 months would make many people 'very mad'.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
At least with this light schedule, one can expect Shane Bond to be fit and playing all of New Zealand's games and not just some as has been the case so far.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Firstly if they ain't going to play tests, shouldn't ICC do something about it.. like getting rid of them from the ICC Test Championship or whatever... I for on think thats its very disappointing to see Test Match cricket slowly fading away...

2 Test matches in next 17 months is just disgraceful to the game..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
alternative said:
Firstly if they ain't going to play tests, shouldn't ICC do something about it.
Well, seeing as the schedule came from the ICC, wouldn't the best thing the ICC could do be to prepare a fairer schedule?!

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
^ well that then.. Its just not fair that they get test status, when they dont play that many games..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That does't make sense.

It is not their fault the ICC schedule them 1 series in 17 months, so why should they be penalised by being removed from Test status?!