• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Monty Panesar

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Admittidly a full strength England Tail would look like this (With Panesar instead of Gilo):

8) Hoggard
9) Harmison
10) Jones
11) Panesar

Harmison at nine. Hmm... an interesting one. Hoggard wont score many. But Harmi is capeable of the odd twenty. It does look alot safer with Giles

8) Giles
9) Hoggard
10) Harmison
11) Jones

While Jones isn't playing though:

8) Plunkett
9) Hoggard
10) Harmison
11) Panesar

If Panesar is doing it with the ball which he is. Does his current batting really matter. The full strength side (the first tail i listed). This then brings the whole Read/Jones issue into the frey. Assuming Jones improves his current batting for the winter series in Australia. How does this look...

7) Read
8) Hoggard
9) Harmison
10) Jones
11) Panesar

have a think

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Bob Bamber said:
How does this look...

7) Read
8) Hoggard
9) Harmison
10) Jones
11) Panesar
It looks like we'd better get used to 290-5 becoming 295 all out!

Whereabouts in Devon are you, by the way?

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Neil Pickup said:
It looks like we'd better get used to 290-5 becoming 295 all out!

Whereabouts in Devon are you, by the way?
I'm In Torbay. I play for my local side.

The Read Jones arguement is an interesting one. Not for this thread but I may set a separate one on the subject. But with Read in the side. If we are to agree that his batting is worse than Jones. Then a tail with Harmison , S Jones and Monty P as 9 , 10 , Jack may be one that Duncan Fletcher avoids. So its Monty thats keeping Read out of the side. Not Jones!

Langeveldt

Soutie
What is the most worrying thing about Monty Panasar is the fact that people seem to be carping on about his inability to bat, rather than the fact that he is a very good spin bowler..

In a couple of decades, will we have cricket teams made up entirely of mediocre all rounders? Keepers need to bat, at the expense of better glovemen, so surely its only a matter of time before better bowlers are cast aside in favour of moderate ones who can hold a bat..

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Langeveldt said:
What is the most worrying thing about Monty Panasar is the fact that people seem to be carping on about his inability to bat, rather than the fact that he is a very good spin bowler..

In a couple of decades, will we have cricket teams made up entirely of mediocre all rounders? Keepers need to bat, at the expense of better glovemen, so surely its only a matter of time before better bowlers are cast aside in favour of moderate ones who can hold a bat..
A very good point. I think we're more worried about his fielding though.

Langeveldt

Soutie
superkingdave said:
Lancashire, Debyshire, Devon?
Incorrect

1. Somerset (obviously)
2. Worcestershire (because its really nice)
3. Devon (because theres lots to do)
4. Cornwall (I'm from East Cornwall)
5. Wiltshire
6. Berkshire
7. Kent
8. Dorset
9. Derbyshire
10. East Riding of Yorkshire

The rest I'm impartial about depending if I'm in a nice open space or a grotty chav ridden hole..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Bob Bamber said:
I'm In Torbay. I play for my local side.

The Read Jones arguement is an interesting one. Not for this thread but I may set a separate one on the subject. But with Read in the side. If we are to agree that his batting is worse than Jones. Then a tail with Harmison , S Jones and Monty P as 9 , 10 , Jack may be one that Duncan Fletcher avoids. So its Monty thats keeping Read out of the side. Not Jones!
Which club side?

Read ended up batting below Gareth Batty in Sri Lanka last time around, I would seriously consider Giles at seven if Read was in the team.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
In a couple of decades, will we have cricket teams made up entirely of mediocre all rounders?.
Well its happened already. It was called the 1990s.
Ealham, Hollioake x2, Lewis, Capel, Reeve, etc + many others and thats just England

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
dontcloseyoureyes said:
To be honest, if the #7 spot wasn't so good at brain explosions it wouldn't matter that much.
No, it would still matter.

A rabbit at 8 leads to 5-5 collapses.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
No, the best side has 1 spinner in it.
Pietersen? :p

Seriously tho, Gilo is straight back in when fit for mine. & Big Dunc's too, judging by his "Monty must improve his fielding" comments. He's notoriously loathe to criticise his players in public, so that qualifies as a stinging rebuke.

It's nice the cricket watching public has clutched Monty to our collective breast & there is something very endearing about his obvious joy when he takes a wicket, but his fielding is pretty shocking. I wonder if he'd be quite so popular if his pratfalls had taken place in the last test to be played at Edgbaston which had, as all will doubtless recall, a somewhat closer denouement.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I wonder if he'd be quite so popular if his pratfalls had taken place in the last test to be played at Edgbaston which had, as all will doubtless recall, a somewhat closer denouement.
If you'd have turned against him, I'd fight you ...and I'd win.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
fortunately i have seen all of Panesar's test to date & he has been really impressive. His accuracy seems to be very good, he turns the ball when conditions suite & isn't afraid to flight the ball which is always a good sign in a young spinner. But i still am not convinced that having him in the team would make the right balance for the england test side, since i strongly believe at present, when at full-strenght, the 4-man pace attack would be enough in just about every condition.

But once Panesar keeps improving on his bowling & his batting & fielding can reach some standard of solidity he would be an automatic pick.

Craig

World Traveller
Drag Monty Panesar out of his bed at 6am, then take him down to the ground and spend the next 2-3 hours praticing his fielding, then have his usual net stuff when his team-mates arrive for training, then any fielding they do he also does, and do more work afterwards. If it is raining then take him inside and keep working. Sounds hard, but then doing the work will only make him better at fielding.

If anybody has a better idea then I would like to hear it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sometimes, it doesn't matter how much work you do on your fielding, you've just got no confidence in yourself to field a ball that comes at you. You misfield one in front of everyone, and the lack of confidence multiplies, again and again each time you stuff up.

Then when you have people giving you ironic cheers every time you go near the ball, it's not really going to help. The best way for Monty to build up that confidence is to have an off-season working on his fielding heaps, where he doesn't have to put it into a game situation for ages, and then raise his confidence AND technique away from the high pressure situation of Test match, or even FC, cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
But once Panesar keeps improving on his bowling & his batting & fielding can reach some standard of solidity he would be an automatic pick.
Isn't that the same of any person in the world?

I mean I'd be an International Cricketer if I copuld get my batting, bowling and fielding up to some standard!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:
Isn't that the same of any person in the world?

I mean I'd be an International Cricketer if I copuld get my batting, bowling and fielding up to some standard!

Well, by 'standard' I don't think he means field like Jonty and bat like Tendulkar. If he could be an 'average' no. 10-11, and a servicable fielder, he'd be an automatic pick. He just can't be a liability in the field.

No one expects him to become amazing in the field or with the bat. He just has to improve so he is no longer the worst fielder to ever play for England in the professional era.