• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

archie mac

International Coach
I have Ian Peebles' autobiography somewhere. There isn't much controversy in it - he was very much an establishment figure, MCC committees and so on - but, for the time, he was quite revealing about his private life.
Yeah I have read it, quite amusing in places as well:)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How many biographies would you have all together?
I will answer this, and indeed can do so with some precision, the only reason for the delay is that that part of me that likes to think I am a normal rational human being with no OCD traits at all, doesn't want to know

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I will answer this, and indeed can do so with some precision, the only reason for the delay is that that part of me that likes to think I am a normal rational human being with no OCD traits at all, doesn't want to know
:laugh:

Half way thru 'ON WARNE' by Gideon Haigh.

I recommend it as suitable for anyone's cricket book addiction.
Got is for Xmas and read it fairly quickly. Really enjoyed it. Love Haigh's style.

archie mac

International Coach
Half way thru 'ON WARNE' by Gideon Haigh.

I recommend it as suitable for anyone's cricket book addiction.
Good to hear. I am yet to read it, one of the reasons is because Fred is cracking the whip and wants constant book reviews. As On Warne has already been reviewed on CW I am reluctant to peruse it, instead reading books yet to be reviewed:(:D

Just kidding Fred. I have read so many bios on Warne I am not even sure the great writer Haigh can offer too much new information. Have you previously read a bio on Warnie?

watson

Banned
Good to hear. I am yet to read it, one of the reasons is because Fred is cracking the whip and wants constant book reviews. As On Warne has already been reviewed on CW I am reluctant to peruse it, instead reading books yet to be reviewed:(:D

Just kidding Fred. I have read so many bios on Warne I am not even sure the great writer Haigh can offer too much new information. Have you previously read a bio on Warnie?
I haven't read any previous bio's on Warne. However, Haigh makes it clear from the start of his book that he's not offering any new information on Warne's life. It's not that sort of factual book, but more of a character assessment really.

archie mac

International Coach
I haven't read any previous bio's on Warne. However, Haigh makes it clear from the start of his book that he's not offering any new information on Warne's life. It's not that sort of factual book, but more of a character assessment really.
He has covered topics I thought I knew a lot about, WSC for instance, and his book on the subject is now the cannon.

Just had a look at the all time E & A teams, very impressive. I would perhaps have placed Border in front of Miller and 'we' consider an AR for England? Bit of a tail perhaps Botham or Rhodes instead of the poet:)

Last edited:

fredfertang

Actually I can't do it with any precision, well not with my limited grasp of the software I use to catalogue my books, but I'd estimate something between 1,500 and 2,000 :ph34r:

stumpski

International Captain
:-O @ Fred. A full set of Wisden as well, IIRC. Must have about 10 times as much shelf room as me!

Although, I was here yesterday, and I can heartily recommend it for its cricket section. I bought three titles (for £8) and could easily have grabbed another ten. I was out with new girlfriend though and so didn't want to seem too much of an obsessive (she'll find out soon enough!) and besides that takes the number looking for a permanent home into double figures.

fredfertang

:-O @ Fred. A full set of Wisden as well, IIRC. Must have about 10 times as much shelf room as me!
.... and then last week some bastard forced me to buy a bound run of The Cricketer from 1974-2002, so I'll be putting up more shelves as soon as I can find my spirit level

stumpski

International Captain
There must be a lot of duplication with your existing collection with that lot, isn't there? Or did you defect to Wisden Cricket Monthly when it started up (1979, I think it was). I used to flip-flop between the two but I rarely bought both unless for souvenir value - which seldom applied where England was concerned.

Last edited:

fredfertang

There must be a lot of duplication with your existing collection with that lot, isn't there? Or did you defect to Wisden Cricket Monthly when it started up (1979, I think it was). I used to flip-flop between the two but I rarely bought both unless for souvenir value - which seldom applied where England was concerned.
I always got WCM so while I do have a few loose copies of The Cricketer up in the loft there aren't many - I was actually never too bothered by The Cricketer until I had the opportunity a couple of years ago to buy the first 41 years of it, so now I have 1962-1974 to get and find room for

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Actually I can't do it with any precision, well not with my limited grasp of the software I use to catalogue my books, but I'd estimate something between 1,500 and 2,000 :ph34r:
Bloody nora.

They must take up a fair bit of space.

I've got approximately 1200 CDs and they fill up about 3/4 of one wall in me living room.

fredfertang

I have so far managed to avoid putting any bookcases in the room I describe as the kid's bedroom, even though the little gits seldom visit these days - but the rest of the house is full of the things - and with no Mrs Fertang to rein me in any more I can and do do as I please, however sad that may be

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I have so far managed to avoid putting any bookcases in the room I describe as the kid's bedroom, even though the little gits seldom visit these days - but the rest of the house is full of the things - and with no Mrs Fertang to rein me in any more I can and do do as I please, however sad that may be
I didn't buy cricket books till very late in my life. I read them from borrowed sources and a few that I had bought or were gifted by friends who knew me better till I was about fifty. Then I started buying them, many of which I had already read and discovered the pleasure of reading a second time. In the process I also bought some new books which I had not read before and some very old ones that I had only heard of. I could now afford to do so.

However, I stopped buying once I got into photography three years ago for I do not get much time to read nowaday. It has always been like that for me. One passion at a time is all I can and will indulge in and so it has been for half a century. Now that I have been writing on CW continuously for a few weeks, my photography has taken a back seat and that is not what I would like to do. . . so . . . .

I also don't know what I will do with my cricket books . . . My sons love the game too but not the reading of cricket books. By the way, I too buy a lot of DVD's of movies and must have around 1500 at this point in time. Again one tends to buy faster than one watches which is not such a bad thing because when I sit down to watch I always have a big choice. In any event it takes just one sitting of 2-3 hours to watch a movie with a cricket book it is a real investment in time of which I am more acutely conscious of not having a great deal of left :(

Thats why I do not mind quoting from cricket books because it forces me to read them again which is such a pleasure . . .

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Not a cricket book, but has anyone watched the "Calypso cricket" DVD about the famous 1960/61 West Indies tour of Australia?

That, and I am looking to purchase some classic series DVDs. What are some really good ones?

Midwinter

State Captain
If its the ABC one ?

It is worth it just to see, as well as hear, the Worrell and Benaud speeches at the end of the last test.

It is those moments that you then realise why test cricket is held in such high regard.

....also the Bradman " save your pennies" comment at the end.

(Unfortunately it is also with regret as the way public comments are stage-managed these days)

archie mac

International Coach
Not a cricket book, but has anyone watched the "Calypso cricket" DVD about the famous 1960/61 West Indies tour of Australia?

That, and I am looking to purchase some classic series DVDs. What are some really good ones?
Fire in Babylon. Also the series on Aust cricket in the 60s ,70s and 80s. The newest one on Bodyline is a good one.