• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

archie mac

International Coach
Halfway through Paul Barry's Spun Out. Think Archie's review on the site has hit a number of the nails on their head. I'm enjoying it, but I automatically get annoyed when the author tells you his conclusions at the start and then unapologetically structures his book to make the case for that conclusion. Not disputing the things he's said about Warne to date, but its the tone that somewhat annoys me.

On the other hand, its nice to read a book about cricket not written by an 'insider' where they're prepared to call a spade a spade and not worry about trying to stay sweet with their mates.
Yes I quite enjoyed it:)

By the way a review of the Dizzy book is also on the site:happy:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Agree with that review as well. There's enough in Dizzy to make you feel there's a ripper autobiography to be had about the guy, but it falls well short of that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Larwood biography wins sports book of year

From The Guardian.

Congrats to Duncan Hamilton who scoops the William Hill Book of the Year award with his bio of the Notts paceman and sometime Bradman nemesis.

Might be having a word with Santa as I don't own it yet.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Not with McGrath out.
They had just bowled England out two sub 200 scores, basically seemingly knocking the wind out of the sales ENG pre-Ashes series hype. Plus Dizzy/Kasper hadn't hit rock bottom yet.

England should have been given credit from responding so brillaintly on day 1 & not folding to old Ashes scars like as the case was in 2001.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Dizzy had hit rock bottom. It was just that in that test, he started digging. He was massively out of form
in the lead up. It was hubris to not consider what McGrath being out meant.

Matt79

Global Moderator
There's a whole section on the websites frontpage with stacks of book reviews. Best such database on the web.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Dizzy had hit rock bottom. It was just that in that test, he started digging. He was massively out of form in the lead up.
His was out of form in the preceding ODIs yea, but there was always hope he could have gotten his mojo back. Unfortunately that never happened. If their was any attack Dizzy ATT could have been backed to bowl himself back into form againts was the seemingly mentally shattered ENG batting line-up.

It was hubris to not consider what McGrath being out meant.
Yes but as i said ATT, it was conceivable to think after the pumelling ENG got at lord's that they would have folded to old Ashes scars.

RemeMber just like how ENG entered the 2005 Ashes having had a fantastic 2004. England enter the 2001 under similar form & after they folded at Edgbaston 1st test they never recovered. Thats why ENG should be given full credit for responding that way on the 1st day of the 2nd test, instead of blaming Ponting.

Ponting batting first or second also wouldn't have made a difference or altered the course of the series either TBF. Since AUS batsmen still would have been exposed technically - which was the main reason why they lost the Ashes.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Has anyone got a copy of Peter May's The Rebel Tours - would be a fascinating read. I've come across virtually nothing about them.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has anyone got a copy of Peter May's The Rebel Tours - would be a fascinating read. I've come across virtually nothing about them.
Interesting point arises here Matt - as you'll have gathered from the CW review I rated this book - Martin Williamson (happen its something in the name!) on cricinfo seems to have thought just about exactly what I did and also gave it 4 out of 5

The erudite and learned Matthew Engel on the other hand, past editor of Wisden and highly respected, has produced a deeply critical and, frankly, condescending review of it in this months Wisden Cricketer and given it 1.5 out of 5

Each to their own I suppose but I really do think Mr Engel has got this one wrong

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Just wondering what was "Peter May's The Rebel Tours" all about?. Since hearing the term rebel tours i'm thinking about tours to SA