• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That sound fantastic, thank you very much. Will let you know how things progress with it, obviously I need to get aproval from the course supervisor but I can see no reason why I could not go ahead with something along these lines.

Would be quite interested in looking at the life of Bernard Bosanquet I am sure their must be quite a bit of stuff written on him but not sure if he wrote much himself (think I read somewhere that he wrote a book). Ideally I would want the career of someone lke him with that of a professional of similar ability (obviously Bosanquets' career is very unusual) looking at the stark differences of their economic conditions but also their attitudes towards the game.

fredfertang

You may be backing the wrong horse there - there isn't really very much on Bosanquet - of that sort of ilk you might find Kortright easier to do although there is no contemporary autobiography (but there is a decent biography written in the early 1980's) - of the professionals there's only Bobby Abel who I can think of off hand who had a contemporary biography published and that really is scarce

There is a book on the history of the professional cricketer by Ric Sissons which is described as "scholarly" so ideal source material for an academic exercise

Pothas

Will try and have a look at that then, will have a good think about it over the next couple of weeks, the book of interviews sounds like it might be an excellent source. Will message you if I have any more ideas if that is ok?

Last edited:

Pothas

thanks, will look to peruse this particular topic but if their is not enough primary material then I can always shift my time period forward somewhat, would expect there would be more on the period between the wars?

fredfertang

There is but there really is loads of material on the Golden Age - you'll have no trouble finding enough as long as you know where to look - or know someone who does :)

Pothas

excellent, never though cricketweb would actually help me pass my degree rather than hinder it but looks like is going to. The whole point of this module that it you have to improve your methods of historical research so it is probably better to do a period where a little bit less material is available. I also have acess to most libraries in the univeristy of london as as well as the British Library which I believe has loads of cricket writing in it.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
As promised these are a list of cricket books up for sale. CW has first dibs then I'll put them on ebay. No set price, happy for anything reasonable. Also happy to ship o/s.

200 Seasons of Australian Cricket - Various
1882 - 1982 The Ashes Centenary Series - Various
The Joy of Cricket - edited by John Bright-Holmes
A Majestic Innings - CLR James
Farewell to Cricket - Don Bradman
Days in the Sun - Neville Cardus
Autobiography - Neville Cardus
Out of My Comfort Zone - Steve Waugh
Test Team of the Century - edited by Garrie Huchinson
The Complete Who's Who of Test Cricketers - Christopher Martin Jenkins
Bradman's Best - Roland Perry
The Summer Game - Gideon Haigh
Game for Anything - Gideon Haigh
Cricket's Colosseum, 125 years of cricket at the MCG - Ken Piesse
Caps, Hats and Helmets - Max Walker
All Out, the Ashes 2006/07 - Gideon Haigh
Peter the Lord's Cat and other unexpected obituraries - Gideon Haigh
The Don - Roland Perry
The Big Ship - Gideon Haigh
The Great Captains - AA Thomson
Endless Summer, 140 years of cricket in Wisden - Edited by Gideon Haigh
A Pictoral History of Australian Cricket - Jack Pollard
The Ashes, a celebration - Roland Perry
The Game is Not The Same - Alan McGilvray
Close of Play - Neville Cardus
Cricket All The Year - Neville Cardus
Cricket Gallery - edited by David Firth
Neville Cardus - English Cricket
WG Grace - Simon Rae
Beyond a Boundary - CLR James
Captain's Diary 2007 - Ricky Ponting
Wearing the Baggy Green, Australian Cricket Encyclopedia - Ian Ferguson
Match of My Life, The Ashes, 12 legends reveal their favourite Tests - various
An Australian Summer, The Story of the 1989/1990 Ashes Series - Christopher Martin Jenkins & Charles de Lise
A Fair Field and No Favour, The Ashes 2005 - Gideon Haigh
The Greatest Ashes Players - Murray McPherson
Pocket Wisden 2002/03
Flying Stumps - Ray Lindwall
According to Skull - Kerry O'Keefe
A History of Australian Cricket - Chris Harte
Cricket Kings - WIlliam McInnes
Miller's Luck - Roland Perry
Captain's Diary 2002 - Steve Waugh
On Ya Wanie - Ken Piesse
One Day Magic - Dean Jones (signed)
The Lion Bay, How Australia Defended the Ashes 1990-1991 - Phillip Derriman
World Cup Diary 1996 - Steve Waugh

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
A lot of really good books there, it would be great for anyone wanting to start a cricket book collection:)

Did you read them all?

archie mac

International Coach
I have just started an MA in History and we need to write an essay on anything we like which includes some kind of method of historical research, thought I would take the oportunity to write something about cricket, my first idea was to compare the lives, careers and attitudes of gentlemen and professionals in the so called golden age of English, cricket. ideally through the lives of two players. Would be a huge help if anyone (probably SJS or archie mac) would be able to recomend books in general about the Golden age and more importantly any diaries or autobiographies written by players during this era?

I have already bought The Golden Age of Cricket, 1890-1914 by David Frith and Great Characters from Cricket's Golden Age by Jeremy Malies and am awaiting their delivery but any recomendations would be fantastic.
Sorry mate, I only just noticed this8-)

Fred has given you some good advice. There is a book called The Players, it will be a great help and the Bib. would have all the titles you would need:)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As promised these are a list of cricket books up for sale. CW has first dibs then I'll put them on ebay. No set price, happy for anything reasonable. Also happy to ship o/s.

200 Seasons of Australian Cricket - Various
1882 - 1982 The Ashes Centenary Series - Various
The Joy of Cricket - edited by John Bright-Holmes
A Majestic Innings - CLR James
Farewell to Cricket - Don Bradman
Days in the Sun - Neville Cardus
Autobiography - Neville Cardus
Out of My Comfort Zone - Steve Waugh
Test Team of the Century - edited by Garrie Huchinson
The Complete Who's Who of Test Cricketers - Christopher Martin Jenkins
Bradman's Best - Roland Perry
The Summer Game - Gideon Haigh
Game for Anything - Gideon Haigh
Cricket's Colosseum, 125 years of cricket at the MCG - Ken Piesse
Caps, Hats and Helmets - Max Walker
All Out, the Ashes 2006/07 - Gideon Haigh
Peter the Lord's Cat and other unexpected obituraries - Gideon Haigh
The Don - Roland Perry
The Big Ship - Gideon Haigh
The Great Captains - AA Thomson
Endless Summer, 140 years of cricket in Wisden - Edited by Gideon Haigh
A Pictoral History of Australian Cricket - Jack Pollard
The Ashes, a celebration - Roland Perry
The Game is Not The Same - Alan McGilvray
Close of Play - Neville Cardus
Cricket All The Year - Neville Cardus
Cricket Gallery - edited by David Firth
Neville Cardus - English Cricket
WG Grace - Simon Rae
Beyond a Boundary - CLR James
Captain's Diary 2007 - Ricky Ponting
Wearing the Baggy Green, Australian Cricket Encyclopedia - Ian Ferguson
Match of My Life, The Ashes, 12 legends reveal their favourite Tests - various
An Australian Summer, The Story of the 1989/1990 Ashes Series - Christopher Martin Jenkins & Charles de Lise
A Fair Field and No Favour, The Ashes 2005 - Gideon Haigh
The Greatest Ashes Players - Murray McPherson
Pocket Wisden 2002/03
Flying Stumps - Ray Lindwall
According to Skull - Kerry O'Keefe
A History of Australian Cricket - Chris Harte
Cricket Kings - WIlliam McInnes
Miller's Luck - Roland Perry
Captain's Diary 2002 - Steve Waugh
On Ya Wanie - Ken Piesse
One Day Magic - Dean Jones (signed)
The Lion Bay, How Australia Defended the Ashes 1990-1991 - Phillip Derriman
World Cup Diary 1996 - Steve Waugh
I'll take Beyond a Boundary and the two Gideon Haigh books on the '05 and '06/07 Ashes. The distance postal factor might make it not worth our while but catch me on MSN anyway :).

Last edited:

Pothas

Sorry mate, I only just noticed this8-)

Fred has given you some good advice. There is a book called The Players, it will be a great help and the Bib. would have all the titles you would need:)
Thanks, sounds good. Do you know who the author is?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
How many years of AUS cricket history does the "A Pictoral History of Australian Cricket - Jack Pollard" cover?

Pothas

That's the Ric Sissons one
Ah yes, found that on amazon for about 10 pounds so think I will invest.

Reading, ;Cricket and England cultural and social history of the inter-war years' by Jack Williams which is proving very usefull in building up a general picture and demonstrating how to combine cricket and wider history.

Pothas

Thought I would take the oportunity to combine two things that I really enjoy, most of all I want to look at how cricket reflected the massive division in British society but also the massive cultural significance and myhtihcal status is had (and in some ways still does) amoungst the upper class. There seems to be enough written about the subject without it being too obvious which is the sort of thing we have to look for when choosing what to study. Studying history at school was always very restrictive and it was still to a certain extent at undergraduate level but this year I can write at least two essays on pretty much anything I want, no contraint on time period or subject matter. Will certainly pursue it for this 5,000 word essay and half thinking about doing my dissertation (no idea if i will be able to write anything decent or not) on something to similar. (between that and something on Russia at the moment)

Last edited:

fredfertang

I haven't read that Jack Williams book but I do have another one written by him called "Cricket and Race" which, well its obvious what it's about - it has got the lomgest bibliography I've ever seen in a cricket book

chasingthedon

International Regular
The Noblest Game (Cardus, Arlott)

Came across a copy while browsing in Shakespeare & Co, a bookshop on the left bank of the Seine. Shouldn't have been too surprised really - all of the books are English language.