• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I did start to read "Beyond a Boundary" when I was a teenager and far too young and ignorant to even begin to fully appreciate it - one day I will pick it up again but at the moment there always seems to be something more tempting waiting to be opened :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting seeing a number of people mention Frith. Im not a fan of his writing style at all. It always seems so disjointed.

The man knows how to pick interesting topics though.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Interesting choice there - I like that one a lot myself, but I wasn't expecting anyone to consider it the finest book ever on The Don.
Although he was, by all accounts, a complete ******, I have a very high regard for Irving Rosenwater's writing and as this was the only full length player biography he ever wrote it has to go on the list - he wrote a large number of short monographs on various, generally little known, individuals and aspects of the game and if you ever get the chance to read them I'd recommend them - his research, unlike at least one of The Don's biographers, is always faultless and thorough and I have never been made aware of any errors in his writings - differences of opinion, sometimes substantial, yes, but errors no

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
No worries, maybe SJS and yourself can give us a top 10:cool:
Impossible to chose really. There are so many.

I dont mind trying to list my favourite books without a number in mind :0 I will take them author-wise.

Neville Cardus
  • Good Days
  • The Summer Game
  • A Cricketer's Book
  • Days In The Sun

Having said that, pick up any book by Cardus and you will love it. I do :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Which are good bodyline books apart from Bodyline Autopsy and the Jardine memoir? I am looking at reading more indepth on the topic.

Also, on WG, there is the definitive biography by Simon Rae. How is the book WG has written himself? What other books do I need to go indepth on WG?

archie mac

International Coach
Which are good bodyline books apart from Bodyline Autopsy and the Jardine memoir? I am looking at reading more indepth on the topic.

Also, on WG, there is the definitive biography by Simon Rae. How is the book WG has written himself? What other books do I need to go indepth on WG?
Cricket Crisis by Jack Fingleton (Bodyline)

Cricket and Empire by Ric Sissons (Bodyline)

The books by WG are quite easy to read, but a little boring, and you do not learn a great deal

WG by Robert Low was quite good, written about the same time as the Rae Effort

And I quite enjoyed WGs Birthday Party by Kynaston (spelling)

fredfertang

In my opinion you don't really need to read anything else on the Bodyline series itself if you read Frith's book but "The Larwood Story" and Jack Fingleton's "Cricket Crisis" take the story a little further.

There is, however a book being published very soon called "Bodyline Hypocrisy" which claims

"Through conversations with Harold Larwood, the main proponent of leg theory bowling on that tour, and by examining closely the private letters, thoughts and statements of many of the main protagonists of this infamous series, Arnold re-examines widely held beliefs and shatters many preconceptions as to the truth behind that incredible series which almost led to Australia leaving the Commonwealth. In this controversial book Arnold will scotch the belief that fast, leg-pitched bowling was what won the series for England, and puts forward a new and astonishing proposal - that the Aussies bottled it, disguising their failures under the welter of abuse hurled at England captain Jardine"

It is written by Michael Arnold of whom Amazon says "Michael Arnold is a well-known (not sure about that one tbh) English cricket writer, who now lives in Australia. Uniquely (sounds a rash statement) qualified to see the Bodyline series in its historical context, he also writes for Australian newspapers and broadcasts on radio."

Later on this year a full biography of Larwood is due from Duncan Hamilton who recently wrote an acclaimed biography of that favourite adopted son of Nottingham, Brian Clough. I am looking forward to getting both although I have rather higher hopes of Hamilton than Arnold - but you never know - there may be some revelation there - can't see it myself though :unsure:

stumpski

International Captain
Can I have a go at naming my top 10? (in no particular order)

Bodyline Autopsy - David Frith

It's all been said.

Wally Hammond: The Reasons Why - David Foot

The only book by him I own, can anyone recommend another?

Runs in the Memory - Stephen Chalke

A big Chalke fan, and I'm still looking for the follow-up

Fifty Incredible Cricket Matches - Patrick Murphy

I always go on about this one, I don't know anyone else who's even read it though.

Playing With Fire - Nasser Hussain

The best autobiography I've read in the last 10 years. Knocks Stewart, Atherton et al into a ****ed hat (whatever that is)

The Joy of Cricket - Various

I'm allowed one compendium aren't I?

The Fast Men/The Slow Men - David Frith

Always consider them as two halves of the same book

Silence of the Heart - David Frith

Looks like I'm another fan doesn't it ...

Fatty Batter - Michael Simkins

The best I've read of its type. First half is better than the second though.

On and off the Field - Ed Smith

A very good 'diary' type book - will get round to reviewing it soon

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
At lunchtime today I picked up Derek Birley's A Social History of English Cricket, having been intending to do so for several years previously. Not sure how many on here have read it, but would be interested in the thoughts of those who have.

Will post my own review (if I get around to it - which is always debatable with me) when I've finished it.

stumpski

International Captain
A very well known and acclaimed book, but one which - like 'Beyond a Boundary' - I've never got round to reading. I always think that there isn't going to be 'enough cricket' in them, if you know what I mean.

But then I've never read 'the Art of Captaincy' either, so clearly my education is far from complete.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

One of the better books on WG is The Great Cricketer by A A Thomson

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Where can I find the great cricketer to buy? :) I want a book which breaks the myth behind the man and tells us why he is so great. We all know he is great but the why is not accounted for fully...

Last edited:

fredfertang

AA Thomson had a wonderfully evocative way with words and wrote many fine books about the game but he wasn't one for stripping his subjects down to the bare bones and trying to work out exactly what made them tick - Rae on the other hand did, as best a writer can with no living contemporaries to talk to, dissect the myths so I'd recommend that - it's not rare and I am sure ABE will throw up several copies

archie mac

International Coach
At lunchtime today I picked up Derek Birley's A Social History of English Cricket, having been intending to do so for several years previously. Not sure how many on here have read it, but would be interested in the thoughts of those who have.

Will post my own review (if I get around to it - which is always debatable with me) when I've finished it.
I really enjoyed it, but it can go into too much detail on some subjects, I would think 4 stars:)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

I've not read it but Birley's The Willow Wand is probably my favourite cricket book of all time.

archie mac

International Coach
Can I have a go at naming my top 10? (in no particular order)

Bodyline Autopsy - David Frith

It's all been said.

Wally Hammond: The Reasons Why - David Foot

The only book by him I own, can anyone recommend another?

Runs in the Memory - Stephen Chalke

A big Chalke fan, and I'm still looking for the follow-up

Fifty Incredible Cricket Matches - Patrick Murphy

I always go on about this one, I don't know anyone else who's even read it though.

Playing With Fire - Nasser Hussain

The best autobiography I've read in the last 10 years. Knocks Stewart, Atherton et al into a ****ed hat (whatever that is)

The Joy of Cricket - Various

I'm allowed one compendium aren't I?

The Fast Men/The Slow Men - David Frith

Always consider them as two halves of the same book

Silence of the Heart - David Frith

Looks like I'm another fan doesn't it ...

Fatty Batter - Michael Simkins

The best I've read of its type. First half is better than the second though.

On and off the Field - Ed Smith

A very good 'diary' type book - will get round to reviewing it soon
On Wally there are two that I know one by Ronald Mason (a little boring tbh) and one by Howat also a little long winded.

The Foot one is by far and away the best of the three imo:)