Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuart Law granted British citizenship

Stuart Law granted British citizenship

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/C...07JAN2005.html

Stuart Law, who played in the 1996 World Cup final for Australia, has been granted British citizenship following his decision to move to England permanently. He can counts as a non-overseas player in county cricket.

Law, 36, was the first player to captain Queensland to victory in the Sheffield Shield, in 1994-95 - a title they won five more times before he retired from Australian domestic cricket in 2003-04.

He had played for Essex for six summers before joining Lancashire in 2002, and has been one of the most productive overseas players. With 1833 runs in 1999, he was the leading runscorer in English domestic cricket, and only once in the last nine years has he failed to pass 1000 runs in a season.

Speaking from his home in Cheshire, Law said, "I'm glad that it's happened quickly and with no problems. I can now start the New Year and new season as an English player and hopefully in the long run benefit Lancashire."

Now he has a British passport Law could, in theory, play for England. With over 23,000 first-class runs at an average above 50, stranger things have happened. It is nearly six years since he played the last of his 54 ODIs for Australia, and he scored an undefeated 54 in his only Test innings

Cricinfo
    Andrew Symonds 143*

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Alas why of these great players that never truely got into the teamm, would be strange having him playing for england if it actually happend!
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Making into the English team eh?

We'll see about that, unlikly of happening tho
    Jason Gillespie = Best Bowler and Batsman of South Australia
    CW Record Stats http://forum.cricketweb.net/showthread.php?t=23910

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    England couldn't do worse than pick Stuart Law, as it would not really be a step forward for the future, but if he was picked, I'm sure he would do an outstanding job.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    Only thing that would stop him playing for England is his age. Shame he didnt decide to move to England 10 years ago :P

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Should there be a huge injury crisis in the batting leaving all ouf our experienced men out, it wouldn't surprise me.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Should there be a huge injury crisis in the batting leaving all ouf our experienced men out, it wouldn't surprise me.
    If England played for today instead of tomorrow, Law would be in there.. Quality batsman..

I can't see it ever happening though, like Goodwin playing for Australia as well
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    If England played for today instead of tomorrow, Law would be in there.. Quality batsman..

I can't see it ever happening though, like Goodwin playing for Australia as well
    To be fair Goodwin is good four years younger than Law. &, of the regular Oz top 7, (which for the purposes of argument I'll assume to be Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Lehmann, Clarke & Gilchrist) only Clarke is below 30. I think (and admittedly this may just be because I have a birthday with a "3" at the start of it this year) that the Oz selectors are rightly more concerned with results in the here & now than building for a hypothetical future.

As for Stu Law, I'd have him as no 3 for the 4th test!
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby

As for Stu Law, I'd have him as no 3 for the 4th test!
    well anyone but butcher and key...but i cant believe a player that played for australia (although only once) has a UK passport.....and qualifies as a non oversees player...hes a class player...but how many more players that have played either country a matches or test matches be allowed UK passports and can qualify for playing for England......Pieterson....james Bryant and law are 3 of many...although they would be great players for England..the fact is they should play for there country of birth of long time origin..although old fashioned and a idea that wil be critised...is the idea of English players playing for england such a stupid idea?
    Supporting Somerset Cricket Club under South African leadership and supporting the fight vs the dictatorship of Zimbarbwe.
    Slog Leg Spinners at your peril...one day we shall rule the world
    JOIN ADAMS APPLES CC FOR 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus
    is the idea of English players playing for england such a stupid idea?
    Guess it depends how broadly you define "English". Obviously Stu Law is an Aussie, I wouldn't dare claim otherwise; but players like Nasser Hussain (India) & Andrew Srauss (South Africa) weren't English born, but I reckon qualify as "English" by virtue of their upbringing in the mother country!

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Yes, it is a stupid idea

For one, find the last England team without a foreign-born player. I'm buggered if I know what it was. For two, the UK is a hugely multicultural society and we should be proud of that!

[DA]Blond hair and blue eyes next?

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    England couldn't do worse than pick Stuart Law, as it would not really be a step forward for the future, but if he was picked, I'm sure he would do an outstanding job.

agree entirley, especially in those one dayers
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Yeah like it was mentioned before, he is way too old to resurect his Test career, shame

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    agree entirley, especially in those one dayers
    Erm, last I checked we'd had a good set of games in ODIs - lets face it, we beat Australia and not many sides do that!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

First time in how many games though?

Hey if Usman Afzaal (sp?) can play for the England, then you never know.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information