• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stuart Law granted British citizenship

MattO

Cricket Spectator
If given the opportunity Law would play for England in no time. He certainly has more chips on his shoulder than any other Cricketer presently or before him. He should be lucky he played in 54 ODI's.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
I do think there's a difference between being an English player & an English-qualified player. That’s all.
But why?
You're playing in the same team, for the same purposes, so what's the difference?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
But why?
You're playing in the same team, for the same purposes, so what's the difference?
At the risk of repeating myself, I think one's nationality (or sense thereof) comes from one's upbringing. The shared experiences of an English (or Australian, South African or whatever) upbringing; be it HP sauce, warm bitter, maiden aunts on bicycles, losing to Germany on penalties, pick your own cliche!

If you allow that "nationality" is passed via blood you quickly stray into some very dodgy areas indeed. We're a mongrel nation, based on centuries of various waves of immigration &, to this Englishman at least, all the richer culturally for it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And if we allow that playing cricket for a country has anything to do with anything but playing cricket we're on very dodgy ground too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Now, he's told you how he hates being called that. :p Still amazes me, too, that people still write :P :wacko: :wacko:
But yeah, I thought that too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Neil Pickup said:
Good spot. How about the last time we consistently picked 11 English-borns? :)

Dale, you're straying a little close to the mudblood line for my liking :P
I apologise, but you'll have to tell me what the "mudblood" line is! :D

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I will. It's one of Neil's Harry Potter quotes.

Basicly in Potter's world if you're a wizard or witch but you have muggle(non-wizard) parents or ancestors a very insulting term that can be used is mudblood.

It makes sence and fits in with your's if you think about it.

Right Neil?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jamee999 said:
I will. It's one of Neil's Harry Potter quotes.

Basicly in Potter's world if you're a wizard or witch but you have muggle(non-wizard) parents or ancestors a very insulting term that can be used is mudblood.

It makes sence and fits in with your's if you think about it.

Right Neil?
You're right. Geek :D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
England couldn't do worse than pick Stuart Law, as it would not really be a step forward for the future, but if he was picked, I'm sure he would do an outstanding job.
Agree his age must count against him . Otherwise a brilliant player, who unfortunately payed a heavy price for dropping an important catch in the World Cup Final in 1996 (either Gurusingha or De Silva).

The Aussie selectors made sure they never forgot that !!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There have also been suggestions of "attitude problems" to justify his exclusion from the Oz team for so long. My impression is that he was considered to be a bit "up himself".

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Also, when at Essex he didn't participate in the usual team activites (cruising around in their ******s at night)