• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** World XI v Asia XI

Langeveldt

Soutie
sledger said:
everyone has overlooked flintoff for the world eleven, odd.....
Because he is in South Africa playing a test series..

Don't think the teams, or the result matter at all here tbh! Brilliant gesture by world cricket

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I have heard today that there is a very likely possibility that 1-2 England players not involved in the Test series may be flown from England for next Mondays game at MCG.

I guess it would be one of Darren Gough, Alex Wharf, Kabir Ali, Ian Bell or Vikram Solanki.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
JASON said:
I have heard today that there is a very likely possibility that 1-2 England players not involved in the Test series may be flown from England for next Mondays game at MCG.

I guess it would be one of Darren Gough, Alex Wharf, Kabir Ali, Ian Bell or Vikram Solanki.
Thats stupid. There are players from WI Aus or NZ all better than that lot. Just select them

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard Rash said:
Thats stupid. There are players from WI Aus or NZ all better than that lot. Just select them
You may be correct, but the intention of this game is to raise funds as well as be inclusive of all countries . TV rights etc. to UK, North America etc. would also do better if the team is inclusive of English players too.

No one would argue that a fit Darren Gough is a quality player worthy of any side and some of the England Test players were they available would fit in easily like Andrew Flintoff etc.

But since the England Test players are unavailable, it wouldn't be too bad if Goughy or one other player is included !!

I think the return game in Asia (? location in February-possibly India or Sharjah) will have different players, since Australia and NZ may not be available (I suspect) . Therefore that World XI is very likely to be largely England, SA combination . (Particularly because Aus,Pak, WI will also be involved in the VB series).

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Warne is a certainty, according to a report in today's paper. It'll be an ICC XI v Asian XI, with first game at MCG and second in India. 5 other aussies plus 5 from NZ and WI. Asian XI will, of course, have players from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was there anything to say that the ICC XI would not include any Asian players, obviously there wouldn't be many, but if Murali, Turbanator and Kumble wanted to play for instance you could have one playing for the ICC XI to balance it out.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:

What a great choice that is (!)

Only 1 of them should be in the England squad IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I sincerely hope these games are treated as the fundraisers that they are and not as anything of any cricketing importance.

Sehwag309

Banned
My Choice for ROW XII -

Ponting
Gilchrist
Hayden
Fleming
Brian Lara
Gayle
Cairns
Warne
McGrath
Dwayne Bravo
Gough
Vettori

Last edited:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sehwag309 said:
My Choice for ROW XII -

Ponting
Gilchrist
Hayden
Fleming
Brian Lara
Gayle
Cairns
Warne
McGrath
Dwayne Bravo
Dough
Vettori
well thats what it is, so its hardly a choice...

bryce

International Regular
disappointing that sarwan wasn't picked - much better ODI player than hayden, strange that gillespie isn't there but that's probaly to even out the balance a bit more, otherwise i don't think you can complain

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
I sincerely hope these games are treated as the fundraisers that they are and not as anything of any cricketing importance.
Yeah, it'd be good to see the players with microphones on etc to add a bit of fun - like they've done in some of the testimonial matches.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
The Team as selected is a pretty good one. In fact it is not dissimilar to my selection. (only Martyn and Symmonds/Oram from my selection have been replaced by Hayden and Goughy).

As I had previously suggested, Darren Gough does come in as he was not playing in the Eng V SA test series, and is worthy of any top ODI teams in the world.

I am not sure that Dwayne Bravo was a better selection than Oram or symmonds, but I have no issue with that, as the purpose of this game is fund raising and showing unity of the Cricket World in aiding the victims of the Tsunami. (and as such it is important that it shows inclusiveness more than any thing!! Good on Sir Richard and Stevie Waugh !!)

Last edited: