Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loss of confidence

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar

Loss of confidence

Had a dire year with the bat last year, coming off the season before when I was leading run scorer.

Now into pre-season, and the signs just don't seem good again. Struggling to pick up the ball out of the hand - had my eyes checked, they're ok apparently. Not moving the feet.

I'm thinking it's confidence really, but with limited practice time owing to family commitments, what do you blokes think can be done? I'm thinking lots of throwdowns if I get the time, but are there any drills which act to focus the mind as I'm batting in the nets?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

I wouldnt know about drills. I think its a mental issue and something I have struggled with in the past far more than any technical area.

Ive never quite found the answer apart from taking a long break from the game.

Maybe adopting a mantra, or having a routine before every ball or, seriously, see a sports shrink that can help unclutter the mind of all the doubts.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Had a dire year with the bat last year, coming off the season before when I was leading run scorer.

Now into pre-season, and the signs just don't seem good again. Struggling to pick up the ball out of the hand - had my eyes checked, they're ok apparently. Not moving the feet.

I'm thinking it's confidence really, but with limited practice time owing to family commitments, what do you blokes think can be done? I'm thinking lots of throwdowns if I get the time, but are there any drills which act to focus the mind as I'm batting in the nets?
    It sounds like you need to re-build your self-belief. You know your capable of scoring the runs, and it sounds like your team mates know you can score big too so it must be equally frustrating for them to see you struggling. If you find yourself with any spare time outside of cricket and your in at least a semi-relaxed state spend moments visualising in your head yourself in the middle, at the crease watching the ball come out of the bowlers hand watching as closely as you possibly can, getting your feet moving etc so it almost feels as if the match is being played in your head. Just have total belief in all your abilities, get to the nets when you can and there is no reason why you cannot be amongst the runs in the future.
    ODI XI to match the best
    1.Ryder
    2.McCullum+
    3.Guptill
    4.Taylor
    5.Broom
    6.Oram
    7.Elliott
    8.Vettori*
    9.Mills
    10.Southee
    11.Bond
    ringaz_ride@hotmail.com
    To answer your question, yes
    Thanks?
    METEORIC RISE ?

Cheers fellas. I'll persist with it and try the visualisatin techniques as well.

Thanks for that.

Sounds bizarre, but pretend you're batting for your life, that of your family or your livelihood.

That way, you can really fight for something, rather than just batting for the hell of it.

It's amazing how batting for something focuses the mind.

Of course, you wouldn't need to tell anyone of this slightly twisted approach...

Ha, yea that's so true. I remember I was playing A grade one week and heard a guy in the B grade(who I thought was pretty average) scored a century that same week, when my highest score to date had only been 58. The next week I went down to B grade batted at four and scored 162* in a 45 over match. I just couldn't believe that guy had hit a century and I hadn't and it just made me want it real bad weird really

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Sounds bizarre, but pretend you're batting for your life, that of your family or your livelihood.

That way, you can really fight for something, rather than just batting for the hell of it.

It's amazing how batting for something focuses the mind.

Of course, you wouldn't need to tell anyone of this slightly twisted approach...
    Although, some prefer batting with no pressure (see Ramprakash, M). So maybe you'd actually bat better if it didn't matter much to you, and you didn't have to think. Everyone's different in that respect.

International Regular
    You need to set goals, and make more time for the nets. And make the goals small, pretend you are new to Cricket and you are going to start out low and build your way up.

Good luck.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    I tried listening to music while i was waiting to bat helped me to relax and play my natural game which helped me to get out of a rut.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Our first week was Saturday, and we batted. I came in in the second over and got out 3 and 3/4 hours later for a stodgy but confidence-building 55 on a deck which was ok to stay in on, but not easy to score on.

Very happy with the start. A bit of extra fitness and some renewed determination really helped.

Good stuff.
    I know what it's like batting on those sorta tracks, you have a mindset like "OK, if I play my shots, i'm gonna get myself out"
    Last edited by bryce; 14-09-2008 at 08:35 PM.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Burges! Well done.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

I was in the same position a few seasons back. I developed a routine for each ball and because my feet were stuck I made a conscious effort to move my back foot early. It has gotten out of hand at stages (ala. Simon Katich) but has definately worked for me.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Bit of the same here. Every time I throw a ball up, there's nothing on it and it gets dispatched. I can't figure out what's wrong technically, there's just a horrid shape out of the hand and I end up having to bowl dirty darts. Been dropped to the 2nds for the first time ever, which isn't the worst thing ever, but I don't know how I'm actually going to get any better.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    More topspin imo.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information