• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Getting Out LBW playing around front pad

struggling

Cricket Spectator
I am getting out lb a lot at the moment when a ball that is straight I get my front foot too far across the stumps and can't always get my bat to the ball and get trapped plum in front.

I stopped using a trigger movement a few years ago as it got me in problems so I stand perfectly still and just before the bowler bowls I raise my bat to waist height and slightly bend my knees. My left foot is about 2 inches more to the leg side in my stance ( I am right handed) to try and open myself up more and I bat on middle and leg.

I generally can play shots both front foot and back foot off and leg side. The problem is sometimes I get my front foot to far across my stumps and then if the ball is straight I struggle to hit it.

What is the best way to stop doing this?? It seems to be more of a reflex reaction than a deliberate one I am making. I don’t think right I am getting across my stumps and working this to leg it just seems to happen.

What can I do to help stop this???

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Take a leg stump guard, therefore, you won't be as far across your stumps and the umpire may give you the benefit of the doubt that the ball is slipping down leg when it hits your pad.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Taking a leg stump Guard will probably make it worse. You'll be more likely to be infront of the stumps. Take a Guard on middle or bring back your trigger movement and work on that. What was your movement before you got rid of it?

struggling

Cricket Spectator
It used to be back and across but it got me in alot of trouble and it never felt 100% natural.

The middle stump guard is an option that I mght try. I assume to hopefully get me outside of the line if i move the front leg too far across.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sounds as though you're falling across your crease. Try and work on your balance; keeping your head upright rather than having it fall across to the off side. Plenty of throwdowns (even starting with just underarms, to get your body used to it) with focus on playing between mid off and mid on.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It sounds like you are planting your front foot too early and are a little off balance and lacking in agility.

From what you describe (and its only a little detail) I picked up on this.

"I stopped using a trigger movement a few years ago as it got me in problems so I stand perfectly still and just before the bowler bowls I raise my bat to waist height and slightly bend my knees. My left foot is about 2 inches more to the leg side in my stance ( I am right handed) to try and open myself up more and I bat on middle and leg. "

The slightly bending of the knees is something I would look at if I had the chance. Its possible that the bending of the knees places extra the weight forward onto the front foot and makes you slow footed and plants the foot.

Just have a feel where the weight distribution goes when you bend the legs. If it is going disproportionately on the front foot then think about addressing that. If you do it will improve your agility

bryce

International Regular
i changed my guard to middle & leg after i got out lbw a couple of times and haven't had a problem since, but yeah as someone above said possibly the knee bending affecting your balance maybe stand a bit taller and just work on getting in line with the ball and playing straight balls ever so slightly toward the mid-on region