• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Group A Discussion

smash84

The Tiger King
I saw them in 85 so can just about claim it though if Clarke is seriously injured then this is worse as he is the Border and the rest are as poor as 85.
wow.....IT has taken the Aussies about 30 years to field such a bad bunch......most other teams do it much more frequently

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Also really glad Bresnan did well today. I worried that his international career was over after the Nagpur test but this is the second match I've seen him in this summer, and he's impressed me in both.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wow.....IT has taken the Aussies about 30 years to field such a bad bunch......most other teams do it much more frequently
Not disagreeing but lets face it we didn't have the tv coverage of the 86/87 series so that lot may have been worse. Shows the standards they have set for so long though as even though they were piss poor in the last ashes this lot look weaker in batting (bowling looks stronger on paper but they may not reach the park) and fielding.

Remind me of England of the 90's. Decent attack and no batting.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Guess you don't consider India or South Africa to be decent one day batting line ups?

Tredwell will get smashed and soon as he is basically a right-handed Doherty so he doesn't even have the advantage of spinning the ball away from the bat

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Its funny how everyone is going on about Australia being terrible but they will probably still somehow make the semi-finals of this tournament.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, Ponting was still quite good then and hadn't become mortal.
Cameron White scored runs back then too, and Callum Ferguson was looking like a great one day prospect. And of course Watson was there. Funilly enough Ferguson's been given about three games since he got injured in the 2009 tournament. Really odd if you ask me.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
They still won the Champions Trophy in 2009 tbf. Couldn't have been that bad.
Lost the Ashes with 2 terrible batting collapses and also collapsed ridiculously to the West Indies at home (I want to say in Brisbane but I'm not 100% on that) to nearly lose a Test they closed the first innings 250 odd in front.

It was the start of their decline to the pathetic unit we see today.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Lost the Ashes with 2 terrible batting collapses and also collapsed ridiculously to the West Indies at home (I want to say in Brisbane but I'm not 100% on that) to nearly lose a Test they closed the first innings 250 odd in front.

It was the start of their decline to the pathetic unit we see today.
Ah, I thought the conversation being in the Champions Trophy subbie meant we were talking about one day cricket. Silly me.

theegyptian

match and thread cliffs from today? Bopara masterclass?

Saw the first 20 overs of England's innings. Man, Aus must have been bad to only make 220-9.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Saw the first 20 overs of England's innings. Man, Aus must have been bad to only make 220-9.
England should have scored a few more, slightly, and I do mean slightly disappointing run chasing in the early stages, but hugely wrong in the latter stages, mainly Morgan and buttler, bop did well to salvage it, a decent innings. oz bowling not really all it's cracked up to be.

Oz just awful in reply, but some very decent bowling from us, best as a unit for a while. Bresnan really good.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I'd say that is his best innings for England, looked composed and at ease throughout and picked the right ball to hit. Bowling wasn't as good as he has previously shown but can't complain.

theegyptian

thanks grecian and flibber. good win then. puts us in a good posn to make the semis.

Kinda glad i didn't have to follow most of the England batting. Does tend to dry me crazy.

Happy for Ravi. Infuriating player and not really good enough but he does take a fair bit of stick (mostly correctly) so nice for him to have a good day.