• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ's squad

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Somehow i doubt both Vettori and NMac would be selected in the same attack, with Williamson turning into a very handy bowling option its just too much spin.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
NMacs figures from the England series

10 0/42
10 0/46
7 0/39
economy rate = 4.7

Kane's

2.2 0/12
8 1/39
1 0/9

economy = 5.29

So Nmac had better figures (even though Kane got a wicket) and I don't think you should factor Kane's recent test match into account.

here's what a team would like with all three

Watling
Guppers
Kane
RT
Elliot
Baz
Dan
Nmac
Mills
Southee
Mitch

Those three seamers are probably bankers to get through 30 and then just 20 overs split between two front line spinners and one part time spinner.

If one seamer did get injured part way through and you had to have 25 overs of spin I don't think it would be a disaster as i reckon NMac could bowl between the 40th and 45th over and do ok as he travels ok in T20 matches.

Finally if we replaced NMac it would be with Butler and I reckon NMacs bowling will go for less (and this ignores that NMac is the better bat of the two).

I am not sold on this idea by any stretch and Dan could turn out to be crap on his comeback as well.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Imo the question is whether the benefit of sharing 10 overs between the batting allrounders (Kane, Franklin, Elliot) and strengthening the batting is a better option, than going for a bowling allrounder.
Its pretty 50/50 because it means we might concede 10-20 runs more, and the improved batting, would only add a similar amount, but it means that if say KP takes a liking to our spinners on unhelpful pitches, we won't have to scramble for options.

Im guessing here, but i think Henry has probably jumped Butler in the pecking order and Henry > NMac. Sure he might not even get included in the squad, but surely the selectors cannot ignore results like he has had when he looks so good doing it. It's probably too soon before the champions trophy to integrate him into the side, but Butler isn't exactly established.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
So we have the squad. Quite like it actually.

ODI and ICC Champions Trophy squad:
Brendon McCullum (c)
Trent Boult
Grant Elliott
Andrew Ellis
James Franklin
Martin Guptill
Mitchell McClenaghan
Nathan McCullum
Kyle Mills
Colin Munro
Luke Ronchi
Tim Southee
Ross Taylor
Daniel Vettori
Kane Williamson

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
As noted elsewhere, the lack of Watling is curious.

Guptill, Ronchi, Williamson, Taylor, Elliot, McCullum, Franklin, Vettori, Mills, Southee, McC

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
my line-up from the squad if I had my way:

McCullum (c)
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
Elliot
Ronchi (wk)
Vettori
Mills
Southee
Boult
McGleneghan

Would actually want 7 batsmen (i.e. Watling) but we haven't picked anyone else that I'd want to have in the team. Maybe Franklin.

Definitely not Ellis or Munro.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah it's a shame for him that he's injured but it's actually a positive for New Zealand IMO as long as they don't decide to replace him with Wagner.

BeeGee

International Captain
Ronchi (wk)
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
Elliot
Franklin
McCullum (c)
Vettori
Mills
Southee