• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do Neutrals want to win?

Who do neutrals want to win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BeeGee

International Captain
I'd like a zero-all draw, with plenty of on and off field incidents/controversies and hundreds of CW pages filled with bile, vitriol, tears, jerking off and general ****e.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I'd like a zero-all draw, with plenty of on and off field incidents/controversies and hundreds of CW pages filled with bile, vitriol, tears, jerking off and general ****e.
I would like a feud to start between the Australian and English posters over their contrasting senses of humour. The Australians can crack right into their memes on Day 1 of the first test, and English can be bemused and respond with dry send ups of the memes, along with cutting remarks about why Pietersen hasn't been selected after day 3. Finally by Day 5 both sides will be sick of reading each others jokes and turn on each other, only for benchmark to appear and play peace keeper.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Captain Grumpy used up the yearly quota for the site in the NZ tour thread. The ****.

Stapel

International Regular
England. Since the 2005 summer, there is no other way.

Normally I pick my favourites based on individuals. This can lead to the somewhat ludicrous situation that I can change my favourite within an over.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I usually supported England because they were so **** and underdogs and generally self deprecating, and had strange players you just loved despite their mediocrity (Hick, Giles etc.). But probably for the first time ever I can't bring myself to support them, nor Australia really since they won it back at home in triumphant fashion.

Insert standard line about 'wanting competitive cricketing spectacle and supporting certain players on both sides' here.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Really interesting reading through the match thread and seeing some of the most anti-England posts coming from neutrals. (Can't think of anyone who's hugely anti-Aus but that's probably there too.)

Anyway, on with the point, clearly we have some posters who are so passionately against certain teams or players that they pop up just to root against them, regardless of who they're playing. How many of you can actually relate to that? It's quite foreign to me, as watching something in the hope certain people/teams fail seems kinda odd. If I'm a neutral I watch sport to see good performances generally - why would I watch something I have no vested interest in if I'm hoping it's poor?

So where does that come from? Is it schadenfreude? Bitterness over past results? A desire to watch the world burn?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
England.

So many reasons. Lived in both countries, enjoyed the experience and people from Blighty much, much more. I feel like when Australia play us, English folk will 100% be on us. When we play England, Australians would generally be of the opinion 'who cares, we'd wipe the floor with both of you. Who is Kane Williams? Bet he won't score runs against us.'

For all the neutrals who said Australia, try living in Melbourne and watching the national side go through a dominant period via CH9. Enough to make you want to pick a new sport, or holiday at the North Pole for a few months.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Primarily because a team with Lillee and Hadlee taking the new rock together would have been ***.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England.

So many reasons. Lived in both countries, enjoyed the experience and people from Blighty much, much more. I feel like when Australia play us, English folk will 100% be on us. When we play England, Australians would generally be of the opinion 'who cares, we'd wipe the floor with both of you. Who is Kane Williams? Bet he won't score runs against us.'

For all the neutrals who said Australia, try living in Melbourne and watching the national side go through a dominant period via CH9. Enough to make you want to pick a new sport, or holiday at the North Pole for a few months.
no offence but at least aussie commentators get excited for other teams doing well, see - Bill Lawry.

the NZ commentators are the most bias commentators on planet earth, in cricket and rugby league

Riggins

International Captain
Look buddy I don't care where you're from, we don't defend the ch9 commentary on here under any circumstances.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
no offence but at least aussie commentators get excited for other teams doing well, see - Bill Lawry.

the NZ commentators are the most bias commentators on planet earth, in cricket and rugby league
I never say this sort of thing but I'm sorry, you're wrong.

Honestly, I know it's hard to pick apart when you're comfortable with the sycophantic commentary being towards your own team, a lean you're probably already on yourself. But to the neutral or the opponent, it is ****ing nauseating. It still makes me ill thinking about watching a day's play on 9.

Look, I probably just never recovered from Ian Healy telling me with England at 600-1 (that's 600-1, not 1-600 as the only country in the world to adopt that scoring method would see it) that a double hat-trick (6 in 6 balls so Ian told us) would completely change the complexity of the game. Or the time the comm box had a World XI with about 5-6 Australians in it, including Nathan Lyon.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Never met an Australian cricket fan who actually liked the channel 9 commentary team in the Healy/Brayshaw area. They are the worst commentary team I've ever come across for any sport.

TNT

Banned
England.

You chose to listen to CH9, you just didn't make the most of your resources. Most people listen to ABC commentary while watching CH9.

It would be like me going to NZ on holidays in winter and complaining that its to cold to go to the beach.

dfrinku

U19 Debutant
It's nauseating to anyone with half a cricketing brain and anyone who watches the game not just for nationalist pride. I'm not sure it even needs to be discussed on CW. I've only been here for one Australian summer and the CH9 commentary was probably the most talked about topic for that period. It's rubbish and everyone knows that.