Cricket Player Manager
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Graeme Swann

can only hope his retirement is exceeded in dirge by andreson's
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    If I was going to put money on the reasons for his pulling the plug, I'd say this was up there in the possibility stakes. The selectorial fig-leaf of publicly announcing that one's going of one's own volition whilst they shove you under the train seems to be the way a lot of distinguished test careers end.

Moreover, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that Prior is missing from Melbourne having had a similar convo with the panel but probably, at 31, fancies his chances of fighting his way back in.
    Paying that, tbh.
    Jono likes this.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Yep.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot View Post
    I don't really know what to think about his retirement, really. On the one hand, I think the decision to retire mid-series was on the softer decide, but at the same time, if he didn't think he could contribute (and I'm not sure he could), it was probably the right time to go. Whatever - it's his career. I just think that as far as cricketing retirements go, it has certainly been one of the more undignified ones. Certainly, part of that is probably the spirit that this series has been played in and also the way the media has responded. But you can't really help but contrasting the manner of Swann's exit and the way that the likes of Ponting, Tendulkar and Kallis exited the game. In the latter cases, the focus has been on their achievements in the game, and not them lobbing bombs at unnamed teammates. It's a matter for him, but I think he'll probably end up regretting the way his retirement has gone. Furthermore, I don't think it has at all helped a team that is already knee deep in horse manure as it is.
    How were the retirements of Ponting and Tendulkar, who clung on until the bitter end, more dignified than Swann's?Tendulkar's retirement was the most horrible, contrived piece of nonsense I've seen.
    ​63*

Nah let's not be silly here. They at least got a chance to celebrate their careers. Whatever you think of the timing, Swann's retirement and the hullabaloo that followed is just about the most undignified way it could have gone.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    How were the retirements of Ponting and Tendulkar, who clung on until the bitter end, more dignified than Swann's?Tendulkar's retirement was the most horrible, contrived piece of nonsense I've seen.
    You said you were drunk in the Boxing Day match thread, and its showing. That or England being piss weak this Ashes series has fried your brain

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Nah let's not be silly here. They at least got a chance to celebrate their careers. Whatever you think of the timing, Swann's retirement and the hullabaloo that followed is just about the most undignified way it could have gone.
    My favourite part of CW is seeing words I have only heard before written down for the first time. Nice use of hullabaloo
    Last edited by Hurricane; 29-12-2013 at 11:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Swann should have gone and kept his gob shut till after the series was over seeing as he was going mid series. Been a farce he has badmouthed people (Warner) during the series but there you go, what's done is done and can't be taken back. I bet if you asked him now he'd have done it differently though.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    They didn't jump ship mid-series when they were getting smashed and the team was losing, and they didn't bag people on the way out mate. It's not difficult to see the difference.

In Ponting's case, he was recognised as offering a lot to the team environment, and if he'd have done what Swann did then he would've also copped it. You can kind of get away with it if the team has won (ala Martyn - but it was still seen as strange), but when you duck out mid-series after you've been hammered it just looks piss poor. Puts your replacements in a tough position too, they have to come into a team that is struggling and try to perform when morale is probably pretty low and many are looking at the series as done and dusted.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 31-12-2013 at 06:10 AM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread Information