• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"But the little brother, Twenty20, isn't little any more. He's grown up, he's now market leader and yelling from the mountain. Twenty20 is fuelling change.''

King Pietersen

International Captain
Who are England going to go with then? Who will replace Bresnan? Woakes or Tremlett? Or will we drop Bairstow for Woakes, play Woakes at 7 and stick Tremlett in for Bresnan? Will Kerrigan get a go for the rested Swann? Looking forward to finding out the side tomorrow. I'd probably go for giving Bairstow one last go, and put Tremlett in for Bresnan, but we'll see.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For me, Woakes only plays if they're picking 2 spinners so it's Woakes & Kerrigan for Bairstow & Bresnan OR it's Tremlett for Bresnan.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Bit worried by the potential 11th man for England.

Tremlett has hardly taken a wicket at the oval all year and if the wicket is as predicted a slow turner with little bounce it doesn't make much sense playing him. On the other hand England wouldn't mind seeing him bowl to try and decide whether he goes to Australia.
Finn just doesn't really fit in with the holding 3rd seamer job and presumably Australia will target him again.
I just can't see Woakes playing as an allrounder batting at 6. I just don't think he is good enough. He averages 37 in first class cricket but he has batted most of his career at 8. He hasn't looked comfortable against medium fast stuff at ODI level.
If the wicket is as predicted a slow turner two spinners + Broad and Anderson is the way I would go. Unfortunately Monty was the better bet to partner Swann. Whilst he isn't as good as Kerrigan at bowling teams out later on in the game he bowls better in the first innings' and gives away less bad balls. Both Kerrigan and Swann are always attacking and give away bad balls- in the first innings if the ball isn't turning much this is a problem with two seamers as it's hard to limit the runflow (somthing monty does well). Of course you can play Woakes as the third seamer with the two spinners but as described above I have doubts about his batting - and Prior's terrible form with the bat makes this even less viable.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I do quite like the idea of Woakes at 7, and playing Kerrigan for Bresnan, especially if the pitch is as dry as people are suggesting. We'll have to see how they go. I reckon they'll go conservative and just bring Tremlett in for Bresnan as the only change though.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Is Monty still a conceivable selection at the moment? If he hadn't voided himself on someone's head I'd pick him reflexively for this Test.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
How about Australia? Agar and Lyon? Not sure I'd want a fast bowling attack of just Harris/Siddle/Watson - especially if we lose the toss

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I do quite like the idea of Woakes at 7, and playing Kerrigan for Bresnan, especially if the pitch is as dry as people are suggesting. We'll have to see how they go. I reckon they'll go conservative and just bring Tremlett in for Bresnan as the only change though.
Yeah let's move Prior up the order, great idea.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Cricket Australia ‏@CricketAus 19s

James Faulkner will make his Test debut tomorrow at The Oval, replacing Usman Khawaja. Starc in for Bird the only other change #Ashes

Baby doll.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Looks like Watson's not fit to bowl then. If Watson bowls a lot and Faulkner plays anyway I will throw so many things.