• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Arthur sacked

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Must admit I'm surprised Arthur's contract wasn't paid in full. I'd assumed that's why he seemed so jovial at the presser in the aftermath.

In the UK when a sports team's coach/manager is awarded the order of the Spanish archer the remainder of their contracted tenure is stumped up by the employer, save those rare cases of gross misconduct.

howardj

International Coach
Must admit I'm surprised Arthur's contract wasn't paid in full. I'd assumed that's why he seemed so jovial at the presser in the aftermath.

In the UK when a sports team's coach/manager is awarded the order of the Spanish archer the remainder of their contracted tenure is stumped up by the employer, save those rare cases of gross misconduct.
I agree - I was stunned that he wasn't paid out in full like most sacked coaches of professional teams are

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Absolutely ridiculous to pay someone out in full. That's what, another 2 full years of salary?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At the level we're talking about, someone like Arthur would have management of his own to insist on certain clauses you'd imagine, including a big payout on early termination.

The other thing is, these allegations of racial vilification bring in the Penalty provisions of the FW Act. The Court can order penalties against the employer, but order them be paid to the aggrieved employee.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Absolutely ridiculous to pay someone out in full. That's what, another 2 full years of salary?
Well if you hire someone on a long-term contract, and they don't breach any provisions which trigger a termination right, it is purely on the organisation isn't it? If the hired employee hasn't breached the agreed triggers (bringing the game/team/organisation into disrepute, misconduct etc.) and its not a redundancy (as he is being replaced)... well why shouldn't he be paid out in full?

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Different countries do different things - that said it's still very interesting decision by CA. Executive level positions generally pay out in full for exactly this reason (media).

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dont offer it then or include some performance based clauses.
Apparently there were performance hurdles in his contract that haven't been met but Arthur's lawyers are arguing that:

a. he was given insufficient (i.e. none) notice of dismissal; and

b. insufficient support by CA to enable him to achieve the required hurdles

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbf, we all said Lawyers Weekly would fail with a name like that and look where they're at

howardj

International Coach
I would defer to the lawyer in that article's superior knowledge, and also Burgey's, but would have thought Sutherland's "scapegoat" admission was pretty damning at least in establishing unfair dismissal

I think the racism thing is a long shot though, although I've got no doubt that as things started to go sour this year, his status as an outsider didn't help

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I would defer to the lawyer in that article's superior knowledge, and also Burgey's, but would have thought Sutherland's "scapegoat" admission was pretty damning at least in establishing unfair dismissal

I think the racism thing is a long shot though, although I've got no doubt that as things started to go sour this year, his status as an outsider didn't help
I think (although it wasn't clear!) that Tim Fuller was only referring to the racial discrimination aspect of the case when he said it was likely to fail. The "regular" unfair dismissal aspect probably has more legs. Particularly if they didn't use any termination provision to end the agreement.

the big bambino

International Captain
Lost all respect for Arthur when he pulled that racism bull****. Well I lost it over homeworkgate then I manufactured some so I could lose respect for him again.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
This is really big. With the coach getting sacked before the second test, I am interested to see what happnes to the team moral. On the top of that, the current Australia team also has rifts between their strong players. The Engalnd team will definitely be scheming to take full advantage of this chaos!
He got sacked a bit before the first test actually,team performances suddenly got better.