• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warm up Matches Discussion

uvelocity

International Coach
reckon its down to rogers v cowans and warner will play. smitteh 6 (hallelujah)

warner
watson
rogers
clarke
hughes
smith
haddin
siddle
pattinson
harris
lyon

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Khawaja a very notable omission from tomorrow's team sheet. Missed the boat or done enough?

Also, if Agar's just there as a proverbial cricketing intern why's he there in place of Siddle? The man needs overs.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sid doesn't need overs does he? Hasn't he been in England for quite a while playing for Aus A?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm very surprised Australia left out Siddle for the warm-up game; it implies that they are going to pick him in the first Test. He has not picked up more than a 1-fer in 6 innings on the tour. Unless he is purposefully taking it easy, that is serious cause for concern. Scotland, Ireland and Somerset should be childsplay for any bowler looking to threaten the England batting line-up. Pattinson, Lyon and Starc have all bowled with success, I'm unsure why Siddle has not had to do the same. I think a good performance by Bird or Harris should fine them in the starting XI but think that the way the teams have been selected seem to imply that Australia have already selected their bowling line-up (Pattinson, Starc, Siddle, Lyon).

Also is interesting to see the veracity of the speed gun proven somewhat by it showing Finn at 85mph and Onions at 80mph. It does not seem to be 'reading high' (though I highly doubt that is ever an actual occurrence) and would seem that Mills was genuinely working up steam when he bowled at 90mph+. It reminds me of Brett Lee destroying England Lions in 2009 with a spell of only marginally quicker stuff (up to 95mph). I think that series would have gone completely differently if Lee was fit and firing there but I digress.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Interesting to see Onions pace ~80mph mark. I know a couple of journalists have written that one of the reasons why Onions hasn't played more in the last year is the belief that he has lost a yard of pace and the speed gun here does little to disprove that notion.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting to see Onions pace ~80mph mark. I know a couple of journalists have written that one of the reasons why Onions hasn't played more in the last year is the belief that he has lost a yard of pace and the speed gun here does little to disprove that notion.
I don't follow much county cricket but there was talk of a severe back injury and sometimes bowlers just don't recover the pace that they had before bad back injuries.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't follow much county cricket but there was talk of a severe back injury and sometimes bowlers just don't recover the pace that they had before bad back injuries.
Yeah he had a major one, bit of a miracle he got back to the level he has to be honest. Scaly to fume and say he should play more tests etc...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah he had a major one, bit of a miracle he got back to the level he has to be honest. Scaly to fume and say he should play more tests etc...
Yep, not the same bowler, and getting older, time to put a line through him and look at younger options for me.

theegyptian

lol bresnan firing them down at less than 80mph. Finn the best of a bad bunch. Whoever wanted to drop Broad for Bresnan are off their head.

theegyptian

It's a worry. I wouldn't back Bresnan to take more than about 2 wickets per test match now. Even if he got the ball reversing, at 80mph it ain't going to be that hard to play. Yes he's a better batsman than all the other options (Finn, Tremlett, Rankin, Onions) but that isn't too significant if you've got Swann and Broad in there as well. Bresnan just looks innocous.

None of them have bowled badly today and it is a flat wicket but Bresnan and Onions to a lesser extent look like they'd have to bowl a lot of overs to take a good haul of wickets. From what I saw I thought Finn has bowled better today than he has done recently without looking particularly brilliant.