• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's line-up

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The road to thread is very Aussiecentric so it seemed to me to make sense to start a new one for the England discussion

Main points of contention are who comes in for KP should he miss out, and who gets the third seamer spot if they are all fit.

Barstow and Finn you'd have thought?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Finn should be nowhere near the lineup if everyone's fit, he's rubbish.

Either if Bresnan or Tremlett. I'd go with Jimmeh-Broad-Bresnan personally if they're all fit.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bresnan's performances have definitely been affected by his injury but, by the same token, I also think that he over-performed massively in the early stages of his test career and they would have tapered off in any event e.g. has an early 30s fc bowling average and 27 fc batting average so you had to figure that his form was never going to be sustained

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Need to see if Bresnan has that nip back before we say he is an ashes contender. Would say that we also need to wait and see over Swann, yes he says he feels good but he needs to perform against NZ first and show he is back to form.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Bresnan's performances have definitely been affected by his injury but, by the same token, I also think that he over-performed massively in the early stages of his test career and they would have tapered off in any event e.g. has an early 30s fc bowling average and 27 fc batting average so you had to figure that his form was never going to be sustained
He did make his FC debut aged 18, although I'm not sure how much he would've played as a teenager, Cribb to confirm. Importantly though, I think all who saw him will agree that Bresnan improved massively throughout 2010. I'd like to see him really get stuck into the Championship before he's back for England though. Keep him in the county circuit until the Champions Trophy and then if he's been performing in the, what will be several games for Yorkshire by then, then he's a shout.

I'd definitely be considering Onions ahead of Finn for the NZ series, and even Woakes at 7. I just haven't been impressed by Finn in test cricket over the last couple of years. He's had his moments, Lords against the Saffa's and Kolkata the most obvious ones, but I just don't think he does enough with the ball to really cause issues in test cricket at the moment. And for all the talk about his pace, he's not bowling any quicker than Bresnan was pre elbow injury, and the latter could swing both the new and old nut. Finn doesn't even have the knack of picking up cheap wickets like he did in Australia anymore either.

Tremlett's Championship return this week was far from encouraging, but it was probably a typical flat Oval wicket. Nonetheless, I probably wouldn't really be looking at him for this summer unless he starts doing something spectacular. He's probably got to go to Australia, but I don't even think he's among the best three options when he's fully fit and at his best for games in England.

So long story shot, I'd want Bres as the 3rd seamer if he does well for Yorkshire in the first half of the summer; if not, Onions. Regarding the batting; see who's done better in the Championship by July.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Bresnan, if he's 100% fit and bowling with pace, is probably the third best seamer in the country.

How close would someone like Toby Roland-Jones be to England selection? He has a bloody good FC record and looks to be in some pretty decent form. Would he be better than Finn? If not, where would you rank him in the list of English seamers?

In terms of the batting, Joe Root has to retain his spot and bat 5, surely. 6 is still an issue though; Bairstow seems to be in pretty gash form at the moment. Taylor could be an option, 5 bowlers with Woakes and Bres providing a very solid tail, Ben Stokes or perhaps Gary Ballance could fill that spot.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
The problem with Onions is that he is a very attacking bowler and especially in the last couple of years he has become the fulcrum of the durham attack where he will go fullout attack on a poor durham wicket.

Put him in as the third seamer in a 4 man attack on a good wicket and he can be expensive and won't fulfil the role england need from him. I'd play him at Chester-Le-Street and open the bowling with him but the other games probably not.

Finn has the same problem and you couldn't play him if he continued to bowl the same way as in NZ.

Bresnan and Tremlett work best to compliment the rest of the attack and to bowl in pairs with Broad and Anderson but the attack has lost a bit of its cutting edge over the last year or two.

Anderson bowls well but no longer takes lots of wickets. Maybe it's just sample size and he's been playing on slow wickets or maybe he's just lost a bit of his pace.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Uve, you make a good point, this is a bad thread. Can a moderator please move all these posts into the thread the Aussies were using to discuss their team. :)

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
worst thread ever
Well this thread can hardly compete with the 113 pages in the other thread where you Aussies are desperately trying to work out out who the **** you can try next.

Have you got the call from Invers yet Uvo????

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
But yeah, one of the reasons Bresnan works well as a 3rd seamer is because he really dries up the runs when he's bowling well. Him coming in for Finn in the Ashes last year didn't just make an improvement to the bowling attack in that position, it also made an improvement to the rest of the attack, as the pressure wasn't being leaked every time the openers weren't bowling. I think that skill in a bowler is really underrated, and it's particularly important in a 4 man attack. It makes all the other bowlers more likely to get wickets if the runs aren't flowing freely from any bowler.

uvelocity

International Coach
yea addsy, he said it'd be a poor look for the series for an old overweight trundler to rip em a new one ;)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
My "assuming form and fitness" XI:

Cook*
Compton
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Root
Prior+
Broad
Swann
Tremlett
Anderson

If KP misses out I'd bring in Buttler. Yes, really. Been in the runs already and has both the game and the temperament for tests.

If Tremmers isn't fit, I'd bring back Bres (assuming his latest op has restored his powers to 10/11 levels).

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would be my side as well.

Root playing the innings he did yesterday is further encouragement that he is the real deal. Still have concerns over Compton I have to admit, but there is no way that dropping him would be at all justifiable at this stage.

Really need KP to be fit because Bairstow does not convince at all, if he does miss out then I would ideally like to see Stokes but he is just not making the runs. I am convinced (as I am every year) that this is going to be a breakthrough year for James Vince, am unashamedly biased but he could be a really special player, I would not go far enough to say he should actually be picked though. We need Pietersen to be fit basically.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anderson bowls well but no longer takes lots of wickets. Maybe it's just sample size and he's been playing on slow wickets or maybe he's just lost a bit of his pace.
Not really, I'm just amazed that no-one's noticed this.

It's not Anderson's MO to run through teams (unless he gets overhead conditions which allow him to bend the ball round corners), he's the closest thing England have got to a McGrath who bores batsmen out by bowling an immaculate line and length and moving the ball enough to worry the batsmen.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Anderson hasn't run through a side since Trent Bridge against Pakistan, nearly three years ago. He's still got a few decent hauls, but never ripped through a team in no time. Broad's much similar to the stereotype of old Anderson, in that he can be really average at times but he's awesome when he's in good rhythm and can rip through anyone.

I do see where theegyptian is coming from though. Anderson hasn't taken a five-fer for over a year, and his strike rate was 98.4 against South Africa last year, where he didn't appear to have the same zip he had against India the year before. That said, he was still able to ramp it up at Kolkata 2nd dig, so maybe he's just bowling within himself more often these days.