Cricket Player Manager
Page 122 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172 ... LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Valer View Post

How do you get only 3? Watson Hughes Cowan Rogers Warner. Less Cowan in yours.
    Can only work with whats been selected. If you have a worry about 3 openers in the team then you'll be concerned with any side picked. After all the side has up to 5 openers and as many as 4 picked.

Still the worry abt so many openers is a non issue. Hughes is being set for a career in the middle order. Rogers is as good a candidate as any at 3. So why not give him the chance there? They claim Watson does his best work as opener. Ok then prove it. I'm ok with punting on his attitude change after his stuff up in India and relinquishing the vc. He should be motivated. So pick him in his best spot. Plus his bowling...

So we have a lot of openers but in reality most are being groomed for other roles. Its about as good a batting side as we can muster atm.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Watson and Warner opening together in England would be a massive mistake IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Watson and Warner opening together in England would be a massive mistake IMO.
    Yeah it would be sure, given the makeup of our squad. Cowan or Rogers has to open every Test.

One thing I am confident about is that whoever opens will be better than one of our openers in our very last Test innings - Glenn ****ing Maxwell.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

International Debutant
    Just not seeing what Cowan's 32 average offers tbf.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Just not seeing what Cowan's 32 average offers tbf.
    33. The best average for a (non retired) batsman outside Smith 40.25 (2 tests not on tour) Warner 37.0 and Clarke 79.7 since his debut.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
    As others mentioned Smith has hard done by to not make the tour.
    Last edited by Valer; 12-05-2013 at 01:09 AM.

Looking at those averages makes me slightly concerned that we will think about playing both Wade and Haddin in our XI.

Cowan offers time at the crease which is definitely beneficial for us. If you aren't a fan of his, I just think it would be ridiculous to then not name Rogers as opener.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Looking at those averages makes me slightly concerned that we will think about playing both Wade and Haddin in our XI.

Cowan offers time at the crease which is definitely beneficial for us. If you aren't a fan of his, I just think it would be ridiculous to then not name Rogers as opener.
    Wade as an allrounder. Haddin to keep. .

Not to put words in his mouth but my problem with Rogers opening is wanting Twatto there. You either remove our second best batsman from his position and get 2 fresh openers OR you don't get one of Rogers / Watson there.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post

Yes. One would think either Cowan or Rogers will open, with both potentially being in the team.

Could make the case for Watson not playing all together if has has a couple of poor tests initially and the bowlers remain potent.

Quote Originally Posted by Valer View Post
    Wade as an allrounder. Haddin to keep. .

Not to put words in his mouth but my problem with Rogers opening is wanting Twatto there. You either remove our second best batsman from his position and get 2 fresh openers OR you don't get one of Rogers / Watson there.
    If Watson still chooses not to bowl that could be an option. The selectors picked Quiney partly for his so called bowling despite the fact he only had 3 wickets.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    IPL is the only live cricket we've had on FTA tv since 2005 though.
    Didn't ITV3/4 also show a series between Sri Lanka and Australia or was that Eurosport?

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Didn't ITV3/4 also show a series between Sri Lanka and Australia or was that Eurosport?
    Would've been Eurosport. Think you might be able to get that on freeview though, which is good.

International Debutant
    We have a bad batting side and in that context I have nothing against Cowan. Except I think he's the worst of a bad bunch. Occupancy without runs isn't much of a recommendation and there's no guarantee he can occupy anyway.

Watson is a better player. He offers more than Cowan. So I'm willing to give him a go to prove if he can get his mojo back. So where to play him? I don't think he can bat at six. All the other spots are taken. His best spot is opener. Who goes; Waner or Cowan?

See ya later Ed.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    If Watson is the better player then he really needs to start showing it.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Bambi, what makes you think all the other positions are taken? Who has the number 4 spot sewn up (Watson's position in the last series).

If you drop Cowan which would seem drastic now, you'd have to be an Australian selector to play Watson opening ahead of Rogers, given the nature of the squad we have picked.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    I'd be going in with something resembling this top 7:

1. Ed Cowan
    2. David Warner
    3. Phil Hughes
    4. Chris Rogers
    5. Michael Clarke
    6. Shane Watson (if he bowls)
    7. Brad Haddin

Watson isn't worth his place if he isn't bowling. He's been **** for far too long, and in this form he has no place dealing with a new ball. His front pad is way too big to deal with Broad if he gets it right, and I see Jimmeh finding his edge on a regular basis.

At 6 he'll struggle running between the wickets with the tail, but given they can all bat it shouldn't be that much of an issue. Only concern is him starting against Swanneh. Is Swann better against left handers though? I can't recall.

Cowan occupies the crease, which is what we need. Rogers does the same and is in form - even if he isn't the great white hope the media makes him out to be, odds are he does a better job than Ussie at 4. Hughes gets 3 to start him against pace in the event of an early wicket - and for continuity. Really irrelevant if Warner/Cowan put together some decent partnerships though.

If we get stuck in a situation where Rogers really can't deal with not opening, we shove him up with Warner and chuck Cowan at 3. Did it at NSW a bit, from vague memories. Screws up the continuity but there isn't much else that can be done.

Number 6 if Watson doesn't bowl, though, could go to either Khawaja or Wade. I don't really care, tbh.

Thread Information