Page 112 of 180 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 2691
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: *Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Talk about his management trying to get him some English league cricket in the second half of their summer.

Some poor sod could die on a wet one.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    The Ashes 2013 : Faulkner prepared for extra batting responsibility | Cricket News | Australia in England - The Ashes | ESPN Cricinfo

Faulkner certainly seems to have a good technique and his temperament seems OK too, I'd love to see him succeed at 7 which allows us to play 4 frontline seamers along with a spinner.
    If that means batting Haddin @ 6 I strongly dislike that idea.
    'It is hard to recall a batsman quite so serene, so unrushed, so unflappable.' Chris Ryan on ... look to the left. Ahhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by burr View Post
    If that means batting Haddin @ 6 I strongly dislike that idea.
    I've got more beef with the idea of Faulkner batting 7 itself than Haddin at 6.

If we want to play five bowlers for some reason (and I really don't think it'd be right tactic at many of the Ashes venues, especially given our relative strengths) then we should just man up and actually play five bowlers. I'd much rather see a 7-11 of something like Pattinson-Starc-Siddle-Harris-Lyon than having Faulkner there who is neither good enough to bat 7 or a Test standard bowler.

Picking six batsmen and bowling Watson a bit is of course my first preference though.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    like i said before, I don't get the point of Faulkner's selection. McDonald, Agar or Hilf would have made more sense. Faulkner batting @ 7 in an attack with 5 bowlers does not make sense
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

I wasn't saying I think Faulkner would do well, I just hope if given the chance he would somehow prosper. He did average 20 with the ball and was more than handy with the bat though.

I don't see Faulkner coming into the team batting above number 8, but then he isn't really a frontline bowler either so I share the concerns we all have about him. Invers has labelled him the bowling all-rounder though, so maybe he is meant to be a number 8?
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    like i said before, I don't get the point of Faulkner's selection. McDonald, Agar or Hilf would have made more sense. Faulkner batting @ 7 in an attack with 5 bowlers does not make sense
    Pretty sure Hilf is injured.

Would've much preferred Henriques or Butterworth to Faulkner if they wanted someone in that role, although that will no doubt surprise absolutely no-one.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    probably be fit by the tour won't he? (and i mean why not give him the chance of being fit?)

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Faulkner there as the 2nd left armer. You know you have to play a left armer for variety, when Strac gets injured.

I think non selection of a 2nd spinner was good and bold move. Basically stating no one is good enough outside Ahmed. But they miss a trick when they selected a 2nd all rounder for the sake it. When none have been good enough with both bat and bowl. I say Faulkner not far off with the ball.

No doubt Faulkner talented but playing someone at 7 who does have FC century to his name would be a really poor call. The Ashes isn't a tour you blood someone just for experience.

They should have picked another batsmen or no one at all.
    Last edited by chaminda_00; 26-04-2013 at 02:38 AM.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Faulkner there as the 2nd left armer. You know you have to play a left armer for variety, when Strac gets injured.

I think non selection of a 2nd spinner was good and bold move. Basically stating no one is good enough outside Ahmed. But they miss a trick when they selected a 2nd all rounder for the sake it. When none have been good enough with both bat and bowl. I say Faulkner not far off with the ball..
    I don't think Lyon is far ahead of anyone, although his international stats are decent and he plays well against non sub-continent teams he didn't make an impact at FC level last season at all. I think both Agar and O'Keeffe are really close to him, and Ahmed has the potential to be much more dangerous. Our spin bowling stocks aren't as bare as everyone says, our selectors simply got it horribly wrong in India and Agar/Ahmed are a little lacking in experience.

Lots of discussion about Oz but not much about England yet

Anyway, some good and some bad for them

The good is that Tremlett and Bresnan are back playing

Whilst I dont really rate Bresnan, Tremlett is IMO the second best English pace bowler when fit so this will come as a huge boost

Bad is that KP is out of the CT and there must be question marks as to whether he will be ready for the first test

His absence/lack of match fitness could cause big problems as the potential replacements arent a patch on him at this stage

England have tried some different young batsmen with limited success, I've been disappointed with Bairstow but I though James Taylor looked OK against SA. Root is obviously the pick of them and Compton seems to be able to hold his own. Their bowling is very settled and very good, but they struggled in NZ at times, It's hard to predict much about England before the home series against NZ, so we'll soon see...

I don't think Lyon is far ahead of anyone, although his international stats are decent and he plays well against non sub-continent teams he didn't make an impact at FC level last season at all. I think both Agar and O'Keeffe are really close to him, and Ahmed has the potential to be much more dangerous. Our spin bowling stocks aren't as bare as everyone says, our selectors simply got it horribly wrong in India and Agar/Ahmed are a little lacking in experience.
    Surely the fact that we have to rush Ahmed's citizenship process speaks volumes about how bare our spin stocks really are.

And Agar should not play a Test yet. No way.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Lots of discussion about Oz but not much about England yet

Anyway, some good and some bad for them

The good is that Tremlett and Bresnan are back playing

Whilst I dont really rate Bresnan, Tremlett is IMO the second best English pace bowler when fit so this will come as a huge boost

Bad is that KP is out of the CT and there must be question marks as to whether he will be ready for the first test

His absence/lack of match fitness could cause big problems as the potential replacements arent a patch on him at this stage
    That discussion will come once the side is selected for the NZ series.

Good to see that Swann is bowling in the nets again and he looked to be bowling it rather than just putting it there like he had on a few occasions pre op. Obviously very difficult to tell off just a couple of pictures on news but certainly looked ok.

KP is the only worry really, you wonder if he should have had an op earlier as he obviously has a serious problem and the way they are trying to manage it isn't working. Time will tell if they have this one right though.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    I don't think Lyon that far ahead of rest, personally would have O'Keefe ahead of him. But the spinners are a long way behind the Aussie quicks. It really just a case of one spinner or none.

The same as it should be for the all rounders, Watson or an extra batsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Surely the fact that we have to rush Ahmed's citizenship process speaks volumes about how bare our spin stocks really are.

And Agar should not play a Test yet. No way.
    I think it actually speaks volumes of how good Ahmed is, and yes I agree that Agar shouldn't be playing tests, he needs 2 more domestic seasons I fancy.

Thread Information