• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

pskov

International 12th Man
I'd rather have a few overs at the Aussie openers before lunch. If a wicket falls then Khawaja will have a couple of nervous overs to face before lunch.

I can't see the point in not declaring. What's an extra 20-30 runs when you already have a lead of 320 odd. Demoralising the opposition? Maybe, but I think having them face 4-5 overs before lunch, then having to come out and start again after the lunch break gives more advantage to England.
Making as sure as possible that you only have to bat once is a big advantage. Plus the longer we bat the older the pitch gets for Swann to bowl on it.

Spark

Global Moderator
Tactically I don't think anyone could reasonably argue anything other than Clarke >>>> Ponting. Far more aggressive, far more proactive. He's a bit hyperactive in using his bowlers, but that's probably because geez he wasn't given good ones.

The difference I feel is illustrated by the fields to the openers late Day 2 here vs. the fields at the top of Day 2 in Perth. As soon as the bowlers started dropping a bit short, Ponting's immediate response was to put a fielder back on the square leg fence. It was just horribly reactive, weak captaincy at a time we desperately needed to attack and take wickets. Clarke did not.

I don't think too many people haver ever really questioned that though, it's off-field where all the questions surrounding Clarke has been.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Johnson should bowl around the wicket here to Swann. He and Prior are both off side slappers. Should be giving them no room.

I realise it's only the fifth test though, and it can take a little while to work these things out.
To be fair, although it's the 5th Test they've not had many chances to bowl to our lower order and tail.

hazsa19

International Regular
I'd rather have a few overs at the Aussie openers before lunch. If a wicket falls then Khawaja will have a couple of nervous overs to face before lunch.

I can't see the point in not declaring. What's an extra 20-30 runs when you already have a lead of 320 odd. Demoralising the opposition? Maybe, but I think having them face 4-5 overs before lunch, then having to come out and start again after the lunch break gives more advantage to England.
Does it really matter? We'll have more than 4 sessions at them, every minute we bat on, they tire, the pitch wears, and they get demoralised.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Making as sure as possible that you only have to bat once is a big advantage. Plus the longer we bat the older the pitch gets for Swann to bowl on it.
Yep score all the runs we can, let pitch deteriorate, let opposition stay in the field with uncertainty about when they'll bat next, after one ball or an hour. Grind 'em.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Adelaide 2006, why?
Collingwood tribute. Notwithstanding my previous post I am going to see it through lunch. I don't really have to go to work tomorrow so if there are some early Aussie wickets then I might make it through the night.

Edit: Pizzorno, you're right. We need to remember the agony to enjoy the ecstasy.

hazsa19

International Regular
Collingwood tribute. Notwithstanding my previous post I am going to see it through lunch. I don't really have to go to work tomorrow so if there are some early Aussie wickets then I might make it through the night.

Edit: Pizzorno, you're right. We need to remember the agony to enjoy the ecstasy.
I'm nearing the end of my last christmas break as a student.

Think I might cap it off by staying up tonight and through the day to watch the SA/India conclusion :)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Christ, Ponting's only hit 6 tons since Adelaide 2006.

Incidentally, Ali Cook is the top runscorer in Tests in that time. :)

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
This loss is just as bad as England's 2006/07 showing if not worse because it's at home. I do take heart from the fact that if they were able to turn it around so well, then so may we.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
I want us to avenge our 2007 home defeat to India in the summer as well. Felt we were pretty unlucky to lose that series tbh; robbed by the rain at Lords and were beaten in the second Test because we lost the toss. For some reason that series still grinds my gears.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mate of mine got a late call up to a corporate box today. Tied Test team at the table next to them at the luncheon. Guest speakers Richie, Simmo, Davo and Meckiff. Have dared him to yell out "chucker" at Meckiff but I suspect he may not.

TumTum

Banned
Just looking at the ftp, are we going to play the series against BD and ZIM?

How the hell can we host Zimbabwe in the middle of winter?