• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Attendances

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
How are ticket sales for Adelaide and the remaining grounds?

It was weird, and a bit worrying, to see basically zero Aussie fans bothering to turn up to support their team on Monday at the Gabba. As one fan reportedly remarked to Michael Slater, "Is it fancy dress day? It looks like all the Aussies have come as empty plastic seats". It can only have made the prolonged failure of the Australian bowlers and fielders even more humiliating when it was played out in front of a crowd consisting entirely of baying England fans.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Thought the attendance was not that bad ...but i didn't care much for the last day...plus the road that Gabba had become ...people knew it was a draw.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Thing about Adelaide is that there's always a load more people at the ground than are actually seated. There's hundreds of people that just wander around the bars and entertainment areas behind the members stand (I know I've done that for an entire day once)

Adelaide Fri-Sat-Sun will be chockers. Mon-Tues not so sure.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
How are ticket sales for Adelaide and the remaining grounds?

It was weird, and a bit worrying, to see basically zero Aussie fans bothering to turn up to support their team on Monday at the Gabba. As one fan reportedly remarked to Michael Slater, "Is it fancy dress day? It looks like all the Aussies have come as empty plastic seats". It can only have made the prolonged failure of the Australian bowlers and fielders even more humiliating when it was played out in front of a crowd consisting entirely of baying England fans.
Australian fans don't come to matches to see us getting butt raped in what is inevitably going to be draw.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Fair weather fans? Highly disappointing.

I hope and don't think that's true, but I'm certainly not an expert.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Not necessarily but it didn't help that:

Pitch was flat
Result unlikely
England destroying Australia
A monday following four strong days of attendance

Australian fans typically don't come to matches with little chance of a result

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, it is. Fifth day crowds for obvious draws just don't happen.
Mmm I thought the 4th day crowd was a bit disappointing though. Considering where the match was at the start of play, the fact that it was a Sunday and the weather was pleasant (not too warm, no real threat of rain) I thought a few more would have shown up. The ground looked about half full from where I was sitting.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
They still got 140k for the test match. Down on last Ashes though but that's to be expected

It's an odd thing, but attendance seems to be dictated by the day rather than the state of play

pasag

RTDAS
We're spoilt for cricket (and sport in general) here, so if the game looks boring people won't show up. It's not like England where you paid $400 for a ticket a year back.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
They don't sell fifth day tickets ahead of the game, so they'll all be walk-ups in general. Less people will always go unless the match is on tenderhooks; people feel obliged to go when they already have a ticket.

biased indian

International Coach
They don't sell fifth day tickets ahead of the game, so they'll all be walk-ups in general. Less people will always go unless the match is on tenderhooks; people feel obliged to go when they already have a ticket.
so do they sell 5 day ticket or are all on day to day basis

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, it was a working day; yes the pitch was flat; yes people won't have bought tickets in advance. I realise all that. But blimey, even allowing for all those factors it was a desperately poor turn-out. It's not as though the result was a foregone conclusion either - England effectively 88-1, and a few quick wickets could have really opened up an interesting last day.

Pasag, is Boxing Day at the MCG looking like a sell-out? That's pretty good news.

Edit: Sorry, mate, I do appreciate it's less good news for people hoping for tickets and who now can't get them...

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Yes, it was a working day; yes the pitch was flat; yes people won't have bought tickets in advance. I realise all that. But blimey, even allowing for all those factors it was a desperately poor turn-out. It's not as though the result was a foregone conclusion either - England effectively 88-1, and a few quick wickets could have really opened up an interesting last day.

Pasag, is Boxing Day at the MCG looking like a sell-out? That's pretty good news.
Yeah, can't get tickets. Won't be 100,000 people obv, but might come close to the 89,000 from the last Ashes if the contest is still alive.

I'll get them somehow, from a member or worst case scenario, off one of the vultures on ebay.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
How come you can't get tickets if it's not yet sold out?
Well there are MCC member tickets and AFL member tickets then there are general public tickets which aren't available anymore, though there might be some more released later in the week so fingers crossed.

btw 118,000 over the five days at the Gabba which is the second most ever for a Test at the venue, apparently.