• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Congrats RT Ponting

bagapath

International Captain
wish he had never become captain. despite so many test wins and two world cups, the two ashes defeats, the two series defeats in india and the home series loss against SA kind of overshadow his stunning batsmanship. people get confused between (the wonderful batsman + mostly successful captain) and (the big series losing skipper + struggler in India). somehow, sachin and lara with **** captaincy records seem to be judged purely as batsmen. if ponting were to be judged on batting alone he should be very close to them. with his great captaincy record in tests and ODIs and his stunning fielding he should be bunched along with them as an all-time legend. but somehow he is ranked below them everytime. i hope posterity is kinder to punter, though. he should not be a top 50 cricketer forever. he should be upgraded to the top 25.

congrats punter. keep going on and on..... and retire 500 runs and 5 centuries short of sachin.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I would be interested to fast forward 50 years into the future. I don't think future generations will appreciate the likes of Ponting and Dravid and what they achieved. The modern day is full of so many cricketers who average > 50, and I can already imagine the stats tweaking that will one day occur to degrade the greats of this era.

It makes me understand how those who watched Sobers play are so defensive about his record. Cricket is a numbers game, but for someone like Ponting there are so many stories and context behind the impressive numbers he has put up.

TumTum

Banned
It has been said that the last 2-3 years he has been out of form. But I don't agree with that, imo its just a phase in his career where things don't go right for him. There are players like Hussey who when out of form look all at sea and lose most of their strokes, but not Ponting. I have seen him in "good touch" so many times in the last 2 years that it simply cannot be bad form. He has a habit though of finding the fielders when he does get starts, which he did not do before. He still and always has gotten out for cheap scores, it's just his conversion rate that has hit a road-block in the last 2-3 years.

There are talks for example that he hits his pull strokes in the air and gets hit or mistimes pulls/hooks. Well the thing is he has always done that. You can find examples in the videos that robelinda posted that he has always hit the pull/hook shot in the air in some point in his innings, and many commentators have always said "He gives you a chance" when playing that shot. Those chances are coming much more frequently now though.

Because of his character and that seeming he rarely loses his shots makes me think that Ponting could still play for 5-10 more years and still be Australia's best batsmen. But the chances are he will quit for some other reason, but certainly he could bat till in his mid 40s if he wanted to.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His judgment of the single has become a recurrent problem in the last couple of years, as much as the much-scrutinized pull/hook shot.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I never want Ricky to retire. The last remaining cricketer from my childhood of watching Australia dominate. 150 Tests, and I can easily wheel out 50 or 60 great innings (today was one of them)
Same here. I will actually be devastated when he retires. He's the last link with all our great players from the 90s and 00s

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Congrads to Ricky...has been a great servant of Australian Cricket and always a pleasure to watch him play those pulls despite the problems recently...hope he carries on for many more games to come.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01505/ricky-ponting-****_1505354i.jpg

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Well done The Punter.
He's come a long way since his Kings Cross pugilist days

N0w 150 up in your 150th.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Great player/servant to cricket and, if possible, still underrated/under-appreciated. I hope he hits his stride again and plays for many more years. If you listen to his interviews this recent trough seems to have made him reconsider his future. I hope he improves on his 2010 form and turns those 50s into 100s. I hope he stays around long enough to break all the records his talent deserves. Not so much for the records themselves, but in the hope that it adds to his legacy enough for people to consistently rate him where he should be rated.

Bun

Banned
What a champion. Here's to him smashing a big hundred to mark the occassion and Australia to take lead.

Bloody Hell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I don't think he will ever go down as a great captain like Border and Waugh. I think he will always be remembered as a batsman first, and as a captain second. With Border and Waugh, I always consider them the other way around.

I do feel for Ponting, he has captained Australia through a period of dramatic change losing so many great players at once. A very similar situation to Border, but unlike Border, Ponting doesn't have a decade to mould the team into his own image and he has had to battle with his own decline in form with age.
We'll see. Seems to have really stepped up his captaincy in the first test. Always thought he wasn't too great in this department, but did extremely well.