• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

simmy

International Regular
can't help but feel the aussies are getting carried away with this pietersen weakness.

Surely the best option early on is the same to Punter or any other batsmen; get it in a good area early on.
Doherty shouldnt be selected just because he is SLA but should deffo be bowling now...

It is the standout weakness of any of the top International batsman.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Meh, I think they're pretty similar as bowlers. Hauritz has Doherty covered for batting though; at least he contributes when he goes wicketless.
I disagree. Hauritz bowls with more flight, gets more turn and is much more accurate. I presume Doherty's only been picked because he happens to bowl with his left arm.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hauritz gets more flight and drift for sure IMO.

I can't see what Doherty provides that O'Keefe doesn't.

hazsa19

International Regular
all they've achieved here is give pietersen a nice start to his innings and england a few easy runs.

Terrible captaincy, absolutely awful.

tridibans

Cricket Spectator
I disagree. Hauritz bowls with more flight, gets more turn and is much more accurate. I presume Doherty's only been picked because he happens to bowl with his left arm.
Exactly!!! and the reason he sucked in India was... well ... anyone's gues... The Indians are always solid against spinners.... Well I think we will very soon find out how much impact Doherty gets at SCG (doubtedly the most spinner friendly track in Aus).

King Pietersen

International Captain
:laugh: "If you're really unlucky you'll have to land in Paris, and spend some time with that lot." Some high class xenophobia from Sir Beefy.

Ruckus

International Captain
Seeing as though North is never going to be dropped he should be the main spinner, and add another batsmen. He is clearly as good as any of our other options atm.

pskov

International 12th Man
Exactly!!! and the reason he sucked in India was... well ... anyone's gues... The Indians are always solid against spinners.... Well I think we will very soon find out how much impact Doherty gets at SCG (doubtedly the most spinner friendly track in Aus).
I don't think he will get the chance. Unless there's a drastic turnaround in his fortunes I suspect Smith well be brought in for the next test. Both for his bowling and to bolster the batting.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another near perfect session for England, the 5th in a row in this match.

Be nice to watch KP smash a flagging attack to all parts in the last session.

tooextracool

International Coach
What is the logic behind picking a spinner at all? Just pick your best 4 bowlers. Honestly I dont think there was anyone who thought to themselves after the 3 pace bowlers failed to make the 2nd breakthrough this morning, 'lets test them against Doherty'. With North and Katich in the side, think they have that base covered, the majority of spin bowlers in Australia arent significantly better than these 2. Sad state of events I know but the mighty have fallen.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has Trott always been so poor against short bowling or this a recent phenomenon?

It's a shame it only took about 28 sessions to work out where to bowl him

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think he will get the chance. Unless there's a drastic turnaround in his fortunes I suspect Smith well be brought in for the next test. Both for his bowling and to bolster the batting.
Would only understand bringing in Smith if they were to play him at 6 and pick the extra pace bowler, as a spinner batting at 7 or 8 O'Keefe is obviously a better option.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
SCG hasnt spun all last decade. Road.

hazsa19

International Regular
gotta take my hat off to Cook, I thought he was lucky to be given so much time to regain his form, but hes batted beautifully.