• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Channel 9 Commentary Is Hurting Brain" Thread

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It was hard for me to distinguish that England had just achieved a 415-run lead..

And Healy/Chappell at it again 'your prediction of 500 might come true Ian'. Score? 50-0.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warne's comments on the field settings and the mindsets of current day bowlers are ****ing the awesome. This fear of going for runs over attacking is a common thing these days in tests.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why have you posted this in the hurting my brain thread :ph34r: :p

Agreed though. He's been awesome in the box.

Burgey

Why have you posted this in the hurting my brain thread :ph34r: :p

Agreed though. He's been awesome in the box.
Cos I'm sick of ****s making it sound as though a pack of tragics on laptops have more cricketing nous than a group of men who have led their countries for nearly half the time test cricket has been played.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So you disagree that at least half of the C9 commentary box are clueless often enough?

Stop bring The Sofa into this, it has barely got a mention this Ashes. There is no doubt that ABC Grandstand **** on these ****s. They didn't even know the rules regarding referring no-balls, despite it occurring in test cricket plenty of times... INCLUDING against Australia (Michael Clarke)!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Warne's comments on the field settings and the mindsets of current day bowlers are ****ing the awesome. This fear of going for runs over attacking is a common thing these days in tests.
At the same time, Warne's solution to everything is "attack." I like listening to him on Sky (him and Bumble taking the piss out of Bill Lawry was absolute gold) but his comments are repetetive and one dimensional at times.

Burgey

Maybe it's because they're catering for an Aussie audience, but Warne and Slater (two comms I rate highly) do seem to be a lot more jingoistic on 9 than when they've had gigs for Sky or Ch4 respectively up here.

I guess because the natural English position is reflective, mildly resigned self-criticism, our comms don't tend to bang the drum quite as loudly, with one or two exceptions (Botham and Bumble principally, and even Bumble's pro-Englishness is usually playfully ironic too).
Yeah I think that's a fair point. Slater I used to rate when he started, Healy too had interesting insights, especially with regard to keeping and being close to the dressing room for player insights.
So you disagree that at least half of the C9 commentary box are clueless often enough?

Stop bring The Sofa into this, it has barely got a mention this Ashes. There is no doubt that ABC Grandstand **** on these ****s. They didn't even know the rules regarding referring no-balls, despite it occurring in test cricket plenty of times... INCLUDING against Australia (Michael Clarke)!
Was referring to the tragics on CW tbh.

At the same time, Warne's solution to everything is "attack." I like listening to him on Sky (him and Bumble taking the piss out of Bill Lawry was absolute gold) but his comments are repetetive and one dimensional at times.
. Yeah you can tell he's been heavily influenced by chappelli.

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
True quite optimistic that this mode of thinking will turn things around.Beefy can be a bit similar, always wanting attack, it's not a bad idea when you were an all time great but not always the answer.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's another good point. Sky seems to have Nasser, Athers, Holding... not tragics with laptops... yet they produce much better quality.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol @ Lawry not understanding that the keeper can take the ball in front of the stumps if the batsman has already played the ball.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
True quite optimistic that this mode of thinking will turn things around.Beefy can be a bit similar, always wanting attack, it's not a bad idea when you were an all time great but not always the answer.
Beefy's main gripe has been the lack of slips, which is fair enough given that Ponting was at the crease.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
I found it quite funny when they went to Mark Nicholas for an interview and he was at the wrong part of the ground. The camera then changed to Mark Taylor who was caught by suprise and was confused for a second before he called Trott over for an interview, in the backround you could hear Mark Nicholas saying " We will take a break and be back shortly " but Taylor just kept going on with the interview.

Morons :laugh:.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
How did they not know that answer? :/
That trivia question to which the answer was Dennis Lillee? Yeah, a shocker - I was sitting at work watching the game, and that was the first name that sprung to mind. Unless they were stretching it out just to fill in some airtime... :blink:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I found it quite funny when they went to Mark Nicholas for an interview and he was at the wrong part of the ground. The camera then changed to Mark Taylor who was caught by suprise and was confused for a second before he called Trott over for an interview, in the backround you could hear Mark Nicholas saying " We will take a break and be back shortly " but Taylor just kept going on with the interview.

Morons :laugh:.
That's not necessarily their fault - blame the director or producer, or perhaps their comms went down.

Craig

World Traveller
I'm sick of Bill Lawry going gaga for the members section and how much they appreciate good bowling etc., and what those who are not don't? Seriously, why does he do this? So if I go to the game, and because I don't have my name on a 15 year waiting list, I can't appreciate or enjoy good cricket?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
That trivia question to which the answer was Dennis Lillee? Yeah, a shocker - I was sitting at work watching the game, and that was the first name that sprung to mind. Unless they were stretching it out just to fill in some airtime... :blink:
You'd have to hope so. I was shocked Tony Greig didn't know. What a ****ing spacer.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yeah, that was a shocker.

"Bruce Reid?" :wacko:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Warne, although from time to time a bit of a loose cannon, has proved himself already the best commentator on Sky. Whenever he offers analysis about the game, which is very often, he gives you something interesting, insightful and usually spot-on. He's also generous and even-handed with his praise. These things really shouldn't strike one as being noteworthy in commentators, but they're surprisingly rare.