• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's gonna win?

Who will win the series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Really GIMH? Thanks for clearing that up. Never knew.

We're done for now that he's made his unbiased summary
What's biased about agreeing with the world rankings :cool:

Funny how they meant more than who held the urn a couple of months ago...

Spark

Global Moderator
IMO we're just a sharp selection or two away from being considerably better than England. Right now, though, not so sure.

centurymaker

International Captain
Australia are getting very under-rated very quickly. People are forgetting how good they are in home conditions. I'm pretty much neutral as to who I'm supporting these days but I'm definitely tipping Australia. It won't be a blowout of 2006/07 proportions but it will be pretty comfortable IMO.
You're forgetting how they performed last summer against the weak sides........
1st test - comfortably won
2nd - Drew- Windies had the upper hand
3rd- won a close match
4th- won
5th- was gifted
6th- won

so 3 close games out of 6 against the low ranked sides. Doesn't sound too promising

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I doubt there'll be more than a test in it either way. My natural pessimism means I'm leaning towards yer crims, but I do cling to it like a security blanket (a pessimist is never disappointed, etc) so it probably colours my opinion.

Interestingly this is the first Ashes series since forever we seem to have a more settled XI than Oz. Barring injury or a miraculous run in the warm ups from Tremmers I'd say our team for the Gabba is inked in.

Spark

Global Moderator
2nd - Drew- Windies had the upper hand
3rd- won a close match
People often mistakenly say these were close games, in both cases I say the final scoreline flatters the Windies. In Adelaide, virtually everyone who got out threw their wicket away going for the win. Once Clarke/Haddin realised there was no point going for it any more, it was a rather obvious draw. I'd say had we gotten another session to bat we'd have won that in a canter.

In Perth - the scoreline definitely flatters the Windies, as it was extremely obvious long once Nash and Deonarine had left what the result would be. They just scored a few more runs than we'd have liked in getting there.

pasag

RTDAS
We're not at our best right now, but England will find a way to stumble over their own mediocrity. It's in their genes, there's no fighting it.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The key question to ask is, who is the better team?

I believe it's England.

Are we better by enough to counter Australian conditions? Given how untested the bowlers are in Australia, it's hard for me to say. But I am confident in them. The batsmen are more of a concern than the attack for me, but I just have a feeling that Pietersen will have his best ever series.
Problem is, even if England adjust perfectly, Australia are so, soooo much better at home than they are anywhere else. England will have to do a fair bit more than sustain the quality of their cricket over the last two years to come out on top, they'll need a pretty big improvement, a lot of stuff has to come together.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah if Australia play like they did against WI and Pakistan last year, they'll lose.

If England play like they have recently, then Aust have to improve from their home performances. Sure they won 5 out of 6 tests (which is obviously excellent), but considering the opposition, they still need to lift a bit.

Ftr, like pasag, I just think England will underperform rather than Australia need to lift their game much.

Last edited:

Burgey

We're not at our best right now, but England will find a way to stumble over their own mediocrity. It's in their genes, there's no fighting it.
Nah if Australia play like they did against WI and Pakistan last year, they'll lose.

If England play like they have recently, then Aust have to improve from their home performances. Sure they won 5 out of 6 tests (which is obviously excellent), but considering the opposition, they still need to lift a bit.

Ftr, like pasag, I just think England will underperform rather than Australia need to lift their game much.
This. England can always be counted on to falter when they tour here.

Sachin doesn't always hear things right. He probably mis-heard the question :ph34r:

Ruckus

International Captain
People often mistakenly say these were close games, in both cases I say the final scoreline flatters the Windies. In Adelaide, virtually everyone who got out threw their wicket away going for the win. Once Clarke/Haddin realised there was no point going for it any more, it was a rather obvious draw. I'd say had we gotten another session to bat we'd have won that in a canter.

In Perth - the scoreline definitely flatters the Windies, as it was extremely obvious long once Nash and Deonarine had left what the result would be. They just scored a few more runs than we'd have liked in getting there.
I don't think people are mistaken at all for thinking that. Reasons like "virtually everyone who got out threw their wicket away going for the win" are such cop-outs. In Adelaide, Australia chose to go for the win, and risked losing the game in doing so. Just because Clarke/Haddin managed to play out a draw, doesn't mean Australia's position was comfortable. If either/both Clarke or Haddin were dismissed, then the tail could have quite easily been removed and the WI would have won. In Perth, there is absolutely no way you can say a win by 35 runs flatters the WI. Once again, saying "They just scored a few more runs than we'd have liked in getting there" is a cop-out. What if they scored a few more runs than that? They would have won. Just like Ishant/Laxman did in Mohali.

The bottom line is, both of those results were far closer than they should have been given the difference in potential strength of the Aus and WI teams. If there are any flattering results, it is the what the series scorecard read in favour of Australia.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't think people are mistaken at all for thinking that. Reasons like "virtually everyone who got out threw their wicket away going for the win" are such cop-outs. In Adelaide, Australia chose to go for the win, and risked losing the game in doing so. Just because Clarke/Haddin managed to play out a draw, doesn't mean Australia's position was comfortable. If either/both Clarke or Haddin were dismissed, then the tail could have quite easily been removed and the WI would have won. In Perth, there is absolutely no way you can say a win by 35 runs flatters the WI. Once again, saying "They just scored a few more runs than we'd have liked in getting there" is a cop-out. What if they scored a few more runs than that? They would have won. Just like Ishant/Laxman did in Mohali.

The bottom line is, both of those results were far closer than they should have been given the difference in potential strength of the Aus and WI teams. If there are any flattering results, it is the what the series scorecard read in favour of Australia.
Excellent post.

Burgey

Lovely little precursor to the Ashes on channel nine right now with us vs the filth in the RL Four Nations.

Scoreline proving as one-sided as the cricket no doubt will be.

smash84

The Tiger King
Problem is, even if England adjust perfectly, Australia are so, soooo much better at home than they are anywhere else. England will have to do a fair bit more than sustain the quality of their cricket over the last two years to come out on top, they'll need a pretty big improvement, a lot of stuff has to come together.
Well said...........

morgieb

England also won 5 from 6 and Bangladesh & Pakistan < West Indies & Pakistan. Plus, it's on our turf.

Really the only rubber we've lost in the past 15 years was against South Africa, and that required a couple of superhuman efforts to do so. Don't see us losing, and even if the season starts off rocky, then I imagine the selectors will be far harsher than usual.....

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Gah, was going to write my bit on the Ashes Blog about how Australia don't seem to be winning the crucial moments of games (esp. Tests), a characteristic that was the opposite of the teams before McGrath and Warne retired. Now I'm just going to be stating the obvious. :dry: