• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's gonna win?

Who will win the series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Gah, was going to write my bit on the Ashes Blog about how Australia don't seem to be winning the crucial moments of games (esp. Tests), a characteristic that was the opposite of the teams before McGrath and Warne retired. Now I'm just going to be stating the obvious. :dry:
Yeah, no more Australianism. :(

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah Australianism was coming back from the dead right.

It's just no longer an Australian thing. It's Indianism and Sri Lankanism and Pakistanism now lol.

It's a common thing nowadays :ph34r:
Haha, I think it's just goodteamism. The better and more experienced a team is as a whole, the more likely its players - even the lesser ones - are to stand up in clutch moments or pull games out of the fire. It's all about confidence and self-belief which is generally created by a winning atmosphere, experienced heads and - shock horror - good players. That's why it happened so often with those Australian teams of the late nineties and early 2000s - they had experience, confidence and quality in high supply.

I'm going to keep calling it Australianism even when other teams do it though, just to piss Manan off. :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha I reckon rather than piss him off, he gets back at everyone else by calling it Australianism when they win tests that are fixed :ph34r:

Remember Pasag's reaction to his post :laugh:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I want my vote to be changed to England.
The worm is turning.:laugh:

In all honesty what Cricket Australia thought would be a nice confidence booster leading into the series is turning into a disaster and just piling on the pressure on the selectors and players.

A few weeks back there was a lot of talk on here about how it will all be fine once Siddle returns but he got smashed today.What next,pinning all hope on Bollinger and Harris who will surely be undercooked if picked for Brisbane.

Makes a refreshing change for you guys to be in the mess instead of us as we have had so many shambolic tours with injuries and selection issues in the last 20 years i have lost count.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A few weeks back there was a lot of talk on here about how it will all be fine once Siddle returns but he got smashed today.
Haha so much wrong with this post. Firstly, Siddle's unlikely to play in the Ashes unless someone gets injured or the spinner gets dropped, so he's not not going to be a big factor anyway. No-one was looking to him as the saviour. Secondly, he's always **** in ODIs and it's not really a good pointer to how he'd bowl if he played in Tests anyway.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
The worm is turning.:laugh:

In all honesty what Cricket Australia thought would be a nice confidence booster leading into the series is turning into a disaster and just piling on the pressure on the selectors and players.

A few weeks back there was a lot of talk on here about how it will all be fine once Siddle returns but he got smashed today.What next,pinning all hope on Bollinger and Harris who will surely be undercooked if picked for Brisbane.

Makes a refreshing change for you guys to be in the mess instead of us as we have had so many shambolic tours with injuries and selection issues in the last 20 years i have lost count.
Yeah, because we are all so worried about how Johnson, Hilfenhaus and Bollinger will perform in Australian bowling conditions 8-). We really need Siddle, even though 4 quicks might not even be played at the GABBA..

Siddle got smashed around today in an ODI ( A format he isn't even that good at in the first place ), so by your logic, Siddle is going to fail in the Ashes? I saw Siddle's return first class game and he looked very impressive.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, because we are all so worried about how Johnson, Hilfenhaus and Bollinger will perform in Australian bowling conditions 8-). We really need Siddle, even though 4 quicks might not even be played at the GABBA..

Siddle got smashed around today in an ODI ( A format he isn't even that good at in the first place ), so by your logic, Siddle is going to fail in the Ashes? I saw Siddle's return first class game and he looked very impressive.
Losing is a habit and bowling badly becomes a habit.I don't know how many games Siddle will have with the red ball before Brisbane and whether he could be playing one instead of being picked in the one day side but picking the wrong team and ending up losing is a common theme at present,who is to say the selectors will pick the right test side in a few weeks.

Not really followed Siddle much in ODI's but he could just be an Aussie version of Hoggard,great with a red ball and awful with a white one.Just seemed strange seeing him bowl such utter tripe today when he was supposedly firing on all cylinders.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
It would be really interesting if we can re-run this vote just before the series starts, and see if things have changed.

treamcast34

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
England should win and win well. All settled, confident, this is the big chance to do it. The convicts won't be this weak in four years' time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
England should win and win well. All settled, confident, this is the big chance to do it. The convicts won't be this weak in four years' time.
The lineup might be settled, but the batting isn't particularly firing or in form.

Since the last Ashes:

Strauss - 511 runs @ 31.93, 4 50s
Cook - 855 runs @ 42.75, 4 100s, 2 50s
Trott - 995 @ 52.36, 2 100s, 4 50s
Pietersen - 659 @ 36.91, 5 50s
Collingwood - 611 @ 40.73, 1 100, 4 50s
Bell - 719 @ 65.36, 3 100s, 2 50s
Prior - 570 @ 38.00, 1 100, 5 50s

vs

Katich - 1101 @ 55.05, 2 100s, 8 50s
Watson - 1021 @ 51.05, 2 100s, 7 50s
Ponting - 905 @ 43.09, 1 100, 7 50s
Clarke - 897 @ 47.21, 2 100s, 4 50s
Hussey - 763 @ 40.15, 1 100, 5 50s
North - 595 @ 31.31, 2 100s, 3 50s
Haddin - 366 @ 36.60, 2 50s

For every weakness in Australia's lineup, there's an equivelant in England's.

smash84

The Tiger King
big statement this. The Aussies will once again beat the **** out of England. They are no pushovers at home. Even in the mid to late 1980s when the Aussies were a reasonably ordinary side they were quite tough to beat at home.

England will eat **** once more. I can't see anyone other than Swann in their bowling attack who will trouble the Aussies.

pup11

International Coach
Australia to win, and that too fairly comfortably!!
Keeping my Aussie bias aside, I just think if Australia are to lose in Australia, and that too, to England, then we would have to play some seriously poor cricket, and still England, would have to play extremely well, in order to win, both are things, that I don't see happening.
The other thing is, some are saying this is England's best chance to beat Oz in Oz, all I want to ask these people is, how many test series has England, actually won outside England, in the last 4 years!?

pup11

International Coach
And what relevance does the performances of a side from 3-4 years ago have on today?
What I'm trying to say is, that English have been poor travellers, when you have a look, at their recent performances away from home.
So it would require a serious turnaround, on their part to come to Australia, and all of sudden, start performing away from home!!