• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I reckon there's no way that Ryan Harris will play after the way that he's supposedly recovered from the Shield Match that he played. The selectors will pick a team for the First Test that they want to get through the whole series, and there is no way that Harris can manage that. Harris may come in when someone else gets injured, but he won't start, IMO.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I reckon there's no way that Ryan Harris will play after the way that he's supposedly recovered from the Shield Match that he played. The selectors will pick a team for the First Test that they want to get through the whole series, and there is no way that Harris can manage that. Harris may come in when someone else gets injured, but he won't start, IMO.
Rules out Bollinger as well IMO

You need at least 6 weeks to recover from a normal side strain and the guy still hasnt bowled a ball in anger

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

You need at least 6 weeks to recover from a normal side strain and the guy still hasnt bowled a ball in anger
Personally, I don't disagree with you.

But, Harris has had his injury, and has recovered badly from it. The selectors won't risk him. I think that they see Bollinger as a vital instrument, and are prepared to play him on the back of little games. They will just hope for the best on him, not for any particular reason but because they feel that they need to and that he's the incumbent.

The question is how he goes in the game for NSW this week; if he pulls up reasonably, and can "hide" his pain (which he'll have) from the selectors, then he'll play. If it's obvious he's in pain, then he'll miss out.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Totally agree with this.I am a big advocate of bowlers being fully fit and having proved their fitness by playing games before they go into a test.Part of me hopes he will play as i expect he will take a test to get going but as a rule i hate bowlers being rushed back in.

I am just pleased that Anderson has shown he is fit after his injury for us and isn't being rushed in.

pup11

International Coach
And North has about as good a record as Hauritz. Why not just use him?
First thing first... North is nothing but a part-timer so there is no question of him playing out the role of a spinner in the team unless the game is gonna be played on a seamers paradise.
The second thing is, I don't think any of the top 6 batsmen should be bowling too many overs as its something that can effect their batting.

social said:
You need at least 6 weeks to recover from anormal side strain and the guy still hasnt bowled a ball in anger.
Well that's a concern in regard to Bollinger, but for a fast bowler a knee injury is far worse and after an age its almost impossible to recover from an injury of this kind.
Nathan Bracken had a similar knee injury and it has taken him forever to recover from it, hope things aren't as bad with Rhino.

Sylvester

State Captain
I'd love to have Harris for the Gabba test but if Bollinger pulls through then we have him and Siddle as the 4 pace options which gives Harris another Test to recover if one of the quicks have a shocker in Brisbane.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'd love to have Harris for the Gabba test but if Bollinger pulls through then we have him and Siddle as the 4 pace options which gives Harris another Test to recover if one of the quicks have a shocker in Brisbane.
That makes sense to me. No real need to risk a bowler who isn't at full strength. I'd say Sid is pretty underrated anyway.

Woodster

International Captain
Katich says his thumb is fine, and he's not worried about it getting hit, and will be good to go for the opening Test.

Top_Cat

Yeah, just read his knee didn't pull up well. Fair enough, no way you'd risk him.

Burgey

Agreed. I can't believe they would pick Siddle ahead of Bollinger or Harris, seemingly just on the basis that he 'runs in all day, has a big heart blah blah'.
TBF, I'll run in all day and have a big heart too.

Pick me!!

Burgey

So good to see the wheel of mediocrity return.

One of the great avatars. I'd pick you just for that.

Top_Cat

Hussey out for a blog against Vic, caught by his brother at 2nd.

Boxing Day is going to be awkwarrrrd.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ATM Oz's likely X1 includes:

1 batsman in form but injured (Clarke)

5 out of form batsmen (insert names at your leisure)

Haddin

1 spinner who is either out of form (Hauritz) or a massive punt (Doherty)

1 fast bowler who hasnt hit the cut portion this season (Johnson)

1 fast bowler who will run in all day but hasnt taken any wickets for a year (Siddle)

1 reliable fast bowler (Hilf)

Things are looking good :laugh: