• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Next in line is Hughes and aussie tragic didn't mention him in the side, as he's in India.
Think who's next in line would depend on who gets dropped and the selectors willingness to shuffle the line-up around. At least, that's what common sense suggests, selectors on the other hand...

Craig

World Traveller
I would advise Andrew Strauss and the English team management to play close attention to the weather patterns between now and the 1st Test. The forecast is for some **** weather until the end of the year (it has rained heavily and some strong winds this weekend) in the SEQ region, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if this will be a 'win the toss and bowl first' pitch.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
KP scores 36 in his first innings for the Dolphins. Most depressingly he was caught trying to hit a spinner over mid-on. How very like him.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Johnson now averages nearly 30 in the fourth innings. I think one of the keys to us winning this is going to be getting him into pressure situations. If we can just keep him quiet for the first match...

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I won't edit again, that whole post is rubbish.

Johnson averages 30 in the 3rd/4th innings and this tour doesn't seem to be doing well under these run chase situations where he really needs to take wickets. So I think a key to us winning is getting some pressure on Johnson.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Uncanny how he cracks under pressure like Harmison did for us.Getting him under pressure early could be the key to the series.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Two things can cost AUS the Ashes, which should give ENG hope:

- The continuation of the batting collapses that have rocked AUS in this post McWarne era.

- Poor team selections

In a perfect world, once all are fit. This should be the AUS team appearing in Brisbane:

Watson
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Hussey
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

But of course stupidy will continue, North & Hauritz will be retained. SMFH..

Last edited:

vcs

Two things can cost AUS the Ashes, which should give ENG hope:

- The continuation of the batting collapses that have rocked AUS in this post McWarne era.

- Poor team selections

In a perfect world, once all are fit. This should be the AUS team appearing in Brisbane:

Watson
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Hussey
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

But of course stupidy will continue, North & Hauritz will be retained. SMFH..
TBF, I think even the mighty Australia would struggle if they could only put out ten men.

Eh, flibbertyjibber's got there before me but it's worth a quote anyway. :laugh:

social

I won't edit again, that whole post is rubbish.

Johnson averages 30 in the 3rd/4th innings and this tour doesn't seem to be doing well under these run chase situations where he really needs to take wickets. So I think a key to us winning is getting some pressure on Johnson.
Johnson averages 28 and a bit overall so I dont really get the significance - it's not as if he averages 20 in the first innings and 50 in the fourth

And, despite returning 0-52, he bowled superbly in the 4th innings of the first test and would've taken a bag on another day

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I cannot see 2 changes being made in the middle order and I would question whether Hussey deserves to play ahead of North so I suspect North will play.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I would choose a side like this

Shane Watson
Phil Hughes
Ricky Ponting
Michael Clarke
Usman Khawaja
Simon Katich
Tim Paine+
Mitchell Johnson
Ben Hilfenhaus
Doug Bollinger
Peter Siddle / Ryan Harris

flibbertyjibber

One thing,if the series was to start next week we would all be able to pick the England side and that won't change by November 25th unless there are injuries.We couldn't say the same for the Aussie side,many want one or two of the top six dropped and the bowling is up in the air also.

Makes a change for the Aussies to be in a quandary before the ashes as it is normally us.Maybe it will have a bearing on the result at the end of it,only time will tell.

Whoever is picked,bring it on and may the best team win.

social

I would choose a side like this

Shane Watson
Phil Hughes
Ricky Ponting
Michael Clarke
Usman Khawaja
Simon Katich
Tim Paine+
Mitchell Johnson
Ben Hilfenhaus
Doug Bollinger
Peter Siddle / Ryan Harris
Haddin is a much better keeper and batsman than Paine who is nothing more than a promising backup

Shri

Mr. Glass
Haddin is a much better keeper and batsman than Paine who is nothing more than a promising backup
Haddin is all about blasting a quick 50 or going bust. Paine seems like a proper lower order keeper bat who can shut one end up and stop a collapse.