• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite Ashes Memory

howardj

International Coach
I love the Ashes because it's so pure. It's Test cricket, played by the two countries whose populations most love the longer form of the game generally, and this Series in particular.

Anyway, my favourite Ashes memory is Mick Slater at Lords in 1993. It was straight out of a Boys Own Manual - a greenhorn opener, in the grandest theatre of all, peeling off a chanceless hundred on his first tour...a mere 12 months after making his FC debut.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
So many great moments, players, memories are evoked when thinking of great Ashes contests.

For mine, 1998, MCG, 4th Test and a certain Dean Headley running through the Australian lineup in the 2nd innings. One of the more inspired spells of bowling I have ever witnessed, the emotion of the contest, the quality of the bowling. As an Australia fan it was crushing, but a pure fantastic experience to watch.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I love the Ashes because it's so pure. It's Test cricket, played by the two countries whose populations most love the longer form of the game generally, and this Series in particular.
Spot on. Really well put.

The rivalry is also absolutely perfect because it's fierce, long-standing, yet friendly and with no nuclear weapons or religion involved.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I am going to exclude the 1980s and 2005.

Edgbaston 1997, the first day in particular: an amazing, intense, joyful occasion and the climax to weeks and weeks of build-up.

One Australian moment which stands out for me is Adam Gilchrist in 2001 reaching his first Ashes century which a shot which (IIRC) was a sort of backhand overhead tennis smash, and a shout of triumph at the moment he hit it. A brilliant moment even if he had just broken my heart by destroying the England attack.

Agree with howardj about Slater also. He was a terrific player to watch and he played the game in such a great way. He was superb in 1993.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
- England losing 5-0
- Hayden scoring 300 runs in a match at Brisbane, 2002
- Ponting's 156 at Old Trafford, 2005
- Entire last day at Old Trafford, 2005
- Michael Vaughan batting in 2002 series
- Warne, Lee, Kasprowicz almost stealing a victory off England at Edgbaston, 2005
- England choking at last day of Adelaide Test, 2006
- Hayden's career saving 138 at the Oval
- Ricky Ponting getting Michael Vaughan out
- Shane Warne's massive leg spinner to Andrew Strauss
- Glenn McGrath's spell at Lords, 2005
- Adam Gilchrist's 2nd fastest 100 of alltime at Perth, 2006
- Michael Slater's 17 runs off Darren Gough's first over in 2001 series

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Despite the momentous events of 2005 I can't see beyond the far off days of Headingley '81 - just wish I'd been one of the 634,784 who were actually in the ground

pietersenrocks

U19 Vice-Captain
-- Pietersen's 158 to win the Ashes 2005.
-- 2-run win at Edgbaston, 2005
-- Entire last day at Old Trafford, 2005
-- Last Test of The Ashes '97

Matt79

Global Moderator
Warne's Gatting ball was pretty good. :dry:

But I'll actually go with Steve Waugh's first ton during the 1989 series...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thommo and Lillee cracking heads, 74-75, especially the Gabba test when Edrich (I think) had his ribs broken, and Thommo was walking back to his mark and eyeing off the next bloke in, mouthing "You're next" to them.

G Chappell's ton at Perth 82-83.

M Waugh 100 on debut Adelaide 91.

Tuffers taking a catch at fine leg in Adelaide 95 in a game England actually won. Wasn't a great catch, but the miracle was Tuffers actually caught it.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, right up there for me. Was definitely the most exciting moment for me of the best Test series I'd ever watched bar none. Flintoff's 70'odd a couple of hours earlier was a bit of alright too. Ballsy. Was very manly cricket.

Aside from that, Gilchrist's 152 in England was an unbelievable knock. I was dumbfounded that someone could bat that way in a Test. Mark Butcher's 173 was top-shelf and I saw most of it (Hussain's support innings distinctly under-rated, for mine) and McGrath's bowling any time at Lords was special to watch. Personally special was seeing Greg Blewett's 100's in Adelaide and Perth, was the first time SA had seen a world-class player in the Test side for some time. Obv, Warne's ball to Gatt was okay too. :D

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Thommo and Lillee cracking heads, 74-75, especially the Gabba test when Edrich (I think) had his ribs broken, and Thommo was walking back to his mark and eyeing off the next bloke in, mouthing "You're next" to them.
Good to see the Aussies celebrating the spirit of cricket following the infamous "Dummy-Spitting" series of 1932/3