• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
USA will still go through. Neither Germany or US will have the need to go out and create a thrashing needed for Ghana or Portugal to get through.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
and they do.

Keeps the group interesting at least.
Realistically it's very unlikely that one of Germany or the US go out though. Quite apart from the fact that it's very possible they will just play out a draw, even if they don't Portugal will do very well to go through given their goal difference. I didn't see Ghana yesterday but I'm not sure they are particularly great either so I wouldn't bank on them beating Portugal.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
About 50 journos will be pissed off as they would have had "Ronaldo not great as hasn't performed at WC blah blah" articles ready to submit and now will have to dig something else up

Pothas

Realistically it's very unlikely that one of Germany or the US go out though. Quite apart from the fact that it's very possible they will just play out a draw, even if they don't Portugal will do very well to go through given their goal difference. I didn't see Ghana yesterday but I'm not sure they are particularly great either so I wouldn't bank on them beating Portugal.
Yeah I had kind of forgot about how badly Portugal lost their first game.

Germany will want to make sure they win their game though so I don't think it is impossible for Ghana.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The Germany/USA game is ripe for an intentional draw, amusingly. Assures qualification for both teams which is somewhat at risk with any other result. Though Germany would have to **** up pretty badly to miss out.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
About 50 journos will be pissed off as they would have had "Ronaldo not great as hasn't performed at WC blah blah" articles ready to submit and now will have to dig something else up
The articles will just be delayed. Portugal are going to be out unless by some miracle they make up the goal difference. Right now Ghana are in a far better position than Portugal. They had to win this one.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but I really can't see them playing for a draw. I know it was forever ago and all but there will be no repeat of 82.
They definitely won't play for 0-0, but if it's a draw with 80 minutes gone nobody will be too adventurous.

Pothas

Also, while I am sure they will not be anything other than cautious in their approach a win would be a big deal for USA, gives them a much easier second round group and I reckon Klinsmann would love to beat Germany. We will see a proper match.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Germany will probably make changes though. They have the squad for it, the first team looked a little tired yesterday, and Low just likes making changes.