• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hope chief cheateur remembered to put his mobility scooter on charge before he played today. To be fair though he had the shot of an above average Jeremy Kyle couch potato.

South Africa and Mexico through then /bob

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I imagine France will score goals against the other teams in the group and get through. Nobody was all that impressive tonight but they were clearly the best of the four teams on show.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
God that was pretty ****.

Only read an article yesterday about how Uruguay were going to throw of their image of being cynical and defensive.....

Still France more to blame, no ambition whatsoever

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
If it was a world cup finals game it would very likely be sold out imo. Hell, even if it was just a qualifier or a friendly it would probably sell out. The warm up game against Mexico a few weeks back was nearly a sell out as well iirc.

Two minnows playing...well, not so sure. But a world cup game, attendances should usually be very high no matter who is on show really.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hypothetically, if the WC were in England, would you completely sell out England vs. Algeria or something? What about two minnows?
An England WC game in England - would it sell out? Is that a real question?

As for two minnows, hmmm, I reckon it would. Can't remember many spare seats at Euro 96.

R_D

International Debutant
South Africa vs Mexico match pretty good to watch..... Not the precision passing etc of top players but still was exciting to watch.

France vs Urguay was pretty boring..... fell a sleep sometimes during the 2nd half....

Sir Alex

Banned
Hypothetically, if the WC were in England, would you completely sell out England vs. Algeria or something? What about two minnows?
Is free booze on offer or not?

Because otherwise I don't think a league minnow vs minnow match would ever fill in a neutral location.

Terrible matches all yesterday. If England fails to beat USA by atleast a margin of 3 goals, I will stop watching this WC till knockouts.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It would here I think, unless it was played at an 80-90K venue.

When the Olympics were here in 2000, the European Handball and Synchronised Swimming sold out ffs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Is free booze on offer or not?

Because otherwise I don't think a league minnow vs minnow match would ever fill in a neutral location.

Terrible matches all yesterday. If England fails to beat USA by atleast a margin of 3 goals, I will stop watching this WC till knockouts.
Don't be so sure. You can't drink in the seats at English footy anyway,

And there aren' really 'minnows' in the WC

Euro 96 didn't sell out everywhere, contrary to my earlier post, but I think if it was a World Cup they'd fill up, footy attendances are generally higher than they were in 1996 anyway.

Last edited:

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Domenech is just such a disgusting ****. Just resign already.
'...where Raymond Domenech,the French coach resembled a demented ship's captain who has not noticed a mutiny.'
from theguardian.co.uk
That guy lives to pîss people off.
Real life troll.
SA and Mexico to qualify for R16.

Protean

State Regular
The France Uruguay match was sold out, as is every match in Cape Town, not sure why the stadium wasn't full.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Would suck if those people missed the game because they left home late and encountering crazy traffic

shivfan

Banned
I imagine France will score goals against the other teams in the group and get through. Nobody was all that impressive tonight but they were clearly the best of the four teams on show.
I agree....

It was the kind of solid, cautious game against potentially dangerous opponents that you expect from a team that has a plan.

At least France showed a fairly solid defence in this game, which is what is needed to go far in the World Cup.