Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Did South Africa choke?

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady Slim View Post
    i reckon if it didn't rain SA would win
    Can't say for sure, but I'm certain it took a fair amount of wind out of their sails. Lost faf quickly afterwards, and AB didn't get his eye back in - considering he'd started to really gun it in the last 10 balls he faced before the rain, there's a fair shout he'd have scored heavily. Something D/L doesn't factor is how much an impact certain players can make when they get in the zone as AB had just done.

I think those calling it a choke need to factor the rain in too, it stopped the momentum of the SA innings (OK Miller kept the speed of runs up, but if he'd have come in on over 46/50 rather than 39/43 he'd have done the same)
    Shady Slim likes this.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

International Debutant YorksLanka's Avatar
    i cant see how anyone can say that SA choked, they played as well as they could , NZ just played a little bit better !! I have to say I wish my team showed the passion that the Proteas showed and the disappointment to be going out of the competition..shows how much they really wanted it..really felt for them(even though I wanted the black caps to win)..
    jcas0167 likes this.
    "Play Hard but play fair..."

Dan
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiviktor81 View Post
    Yes. Bizarre all round, firstly that it wasn't really appealed for, second that it wasn't given, and third that it wasn't reviewed.
    Was given as runs, ftr. Possible inside edge that the TV replays never checked for.
    kiwiviktor81 likes this.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.

Cricket Spectator
    This was the most obvious choke ever, don't know how some people are not calling it a choke.

The thing about Devillier's run out miss was that he had so much time to run him out, if he had slowed himself down in terms of calmly collecting the ball he should have done fine, Its not a criticism per say as the adrenaline and instincts just take over but it was a pretty bad miss.\

anyways this game was nowhere close to being called a choke.
    Last edited by Contra; 24-03-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Dan
    Duminy running into Berhardien was a complete and utter brain fade, pure and simple. I can forgive not hearing the call of 'mine' in that Eden Park setting, but FMD know where your other fielders are. If JP genuinely didn't know Berhardien was there, then he wasn't paying nearly enough attention to the game. 9 times out of 10, Berhardien takes that easily with Duminy never getting within 15 metres of him.

The run out stuff is all pretty superfluous to the discussion IMO. If ABdV/QdK is a choker for failing to collect a poor throw and get it back onto the stumps quickly, then so are half the cricketers in the world. Everybody has done it, and it's a difficult skill to execute at the best of times, let alone in a Semi-Final context. Nothing major there. Same with QdK's underarms failing to hit the pegs. Most of them miss; it's nothing specific to RSA in World Cup semi finals.

The only way you can even remotely consider this a choke is because of Duminy running into Berhardien. Nothing else is relevant. New Zealand batted brilliantly and won that game, far more so than South Africa cracking under pressure and losing it.
    R_D and zorax like this.

Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    The thing about Devillier's run out miss was that he had so much time to run him out, if he had slowed himself down in terms of calmly collecting the ball he should have done fine, Its not a criticism per say as the adrenaline and instincts just take over but it was a pretty bad miss.\

anyways this game was nowhere close to being called a choke.

If de Villiers choked that run out, then this was the ultimate choke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Show me where I said De villiers choked that run out?

Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    Show me where I said De villiers choked that run out?
    Was referring to the hypothetical straw man that everyone saying "this isn't a choke" have constructed to pre-empt anyone saying "RSA choked because ABdV run out". Quoted your post because you were speaking about the run out specifically.

EDIT:
    Plus it gave me a reason to post that video because, let's face it, Shane Watson getting hit in the knee by Clarke never gets old.
    Last edited by Dan; 24-03-2015 at 08:02 PM.

Dan

And this one. And Moises Henriques in the BBL final.

To construct the same straw man and pre-empt anyone saying the run out was a choke, my answer is nah, everyone does it.

Was referring to the hypothetical straw man that everyone saying "this isn't a choke" have constructed to pre-empt anyone saying "RSA choked because ABdV run out". Quoted your post because you were speaking about the run out specifically.

EDIT:
    Plus it gave me a reason to post that video because, let's face it, Shane Watson getting hit in the knee by Clarke never gets old.
    Yeah but at no point did I claim that I considering AB's run out miss choking, or that I agree with people who do, I was just making a comment based on my observation. Anyways yeah those vids are hilarious.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    People condescendingly shouting down the mere suggestion is getting on my nerves. At least hear out other opinions ffs. No it was obviously not a choke but you should also be willing to see how others might look at it that way(fielding errors at important points in the game maybe if I were to play the devil's advocate). Correct them rudely before putting them down. Or you look like an idiot with his fingers in his ears and his nose upturned.
    It's literally impossible to shout down an opinion when no one here is capable of doing anything other than typing.

Sian Beilock, a University of Chicago psychologist and author of Choke, has dedicated her career to studying epic screw-ups. “Choking isn’t just poor performance. It is worse performance than you are capable of precisely because there is a lot on the line.”
    I think it's simplistic and misleading to say one side "choked". By the definition above you could point to numerous chokes through the game by both sides. NZ's dropped catches, the Taylor/Guptill run out, arguably the dismissals of McCullum & Anderson after a few dot balls built up pressure etc.
    Last edited by jcas0167; 24-03-2015 at 08:39 PM.

R_D
    Calling this a choke would be being too harsh on the players and being disrespectful.
    They gave it their all. Two evenly matched teams and a great contest and there has to be one winner.
    Can't fault South African players commitment in the match, they were brilliant in the field.

International Regular

I like to believe that this was deliberate.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information