• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Semi Final - Australia v India (26th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I thought the 1999 WC semifinal between Australia and SA was better TBH.

Edit: FFS Ankit!
Definitely. This was a great game in its own right but a lot of it had to do with the atmosphere in the stands and the emotion surrounding the two sides. But you look at the scores, and even while you were watching the game live, and it never seemed like NZ were completely out of it. The runs to get-balls left gap never exceeded 25-30 (?) after the initial blitz, and that's fairly doable in the modern game.

The peripherals raised the game to a different level, though, I agree with that.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
For all the talks of Aus dominating us ...one thing to note is we played only one ODI and it was not a one sided game
it wasn't a trashing but it wasn't exactly a :neither side backs down" close game either. In all honesty Australia were cruising until Smith played the most random stupid shot and then Australia decided to half choke until the penultimate over where they decided to go ahead with the original plan and win it instead. Until about the 44th over (iirc), and especially during the middle overs, India actually let the game drift so much that Australia should have won it comfortably.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it wasn't a trashing but it wasn't exactly a :neither side backs down" close game either. In all honesty Australia were cruising until Smith played the most random stupid shot and then Australia decided to half choke until the penultimate over where they decided to go ahead with the original plan and win it instead.
HoW DARE YOU SAY THAT???!!!! GIVE SOMECREDIT TO INDIA YOU *****!

z

Swingpanzee

International Regular
actually pretty ****ing nervous for this one, think it's too close to call. Obviously I think Australia should win this but an Indian win is a strong possibility as well and it just comes down to which team has a better day tomorrow. Would love to see us bat first and pile on tons of runs, that would be sweet.

Praying Johnson clicks tomorrow.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
There's no way they should so heavily outnumber Australian born Aussie is my point.
...but they are Australian-born Aussies. They just so happen to support India because they have some form of Indian heritage.

Look, I know it'd be nice to say "nah they aren't Aussie born Aussies if they support India" for the sake of deporting Jono, but it's really not the case at all.

OverratedSanity

...but they are Australian-born Aussies. They just so happen to support India because they have some form of Indian heritage.

Look, I know it'd be nice to say "nah they aren't Aussie born Aussies if they support India" for the sake of deporting Jono, but it's really not the case at all.
I didn't mean it in that way at all.

Surely you can understand my point that regardless of how many Indian expats/Aussie born Aussie of Indian descent are there to support India, I naturally thought they should be outnumbered quite comfortably by Aussie born Aussies of Australian descent supporting Australia, right? But it's not happening.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think OS's point is that for Indian fans to outnumber Australian fans at the game, a much bigger percentage of India fans in Sydney would have to decide to go the game than Australia fans in Sydney, because there are a lot more of the latter.

You'd probably be surprised by the percentage of cricket fans living in Australia who don't support Australia though OS. It's not just a few people. I'm sure there are more Australia fans living in Sydney than there are India fans.. but you'd probably be surprised by the actual statistics if we had any IMO.

It's also worth taking into account that Australian residents who follow Australia have lots of opportunities to watch Australia play cricket live every summer, while Indian fans in Australia don't, and are more likely to view it as a must-see event. I also think India supporters on average probably see a World Cup semi final as a bigger deal than Australia fans.

All that said I definitely do expect Australia fans to be the majority anyway.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't mean it in that way at all.

Surely you can understand my point that regardless of how many Indian expats/Aussie born Aussie of Indian descent are there to support India, I naturally thought they should be outnumbered quite comfortably by Aussie born Aussies of Australian descent supporting Australia, right? But it's not happening.
Don't worry, I didn't think you meant it that way at all -- the 'deporting Jono' joke was too good to pass up though.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think OS's point is that for Indian fans to outnumber Australian fans at the game, a much bigger percentage of India fans in Melbourne would have to decide to go the game than Australia fans in Melbourne, because there are a lot more of the latter.

You'd probably be surprised by the percentage of cricket fans living in Australia who don't support Australia though OS. It's not just a few people. I'm sure there are more Australia fans living in Melbourne than there are India fans.. but you'd probably be surprised by the actual statistics if we had any IMO.

It's also worth taking into account that Australian residents who follow Australia have lots of opportunities to watch Australia play cricket live every summer, while Indian fans in Australia don't, and are more likely to view it as a must-see event. I also think India supporters on average probably see a World Cup semi final as a bigger deal than Australia fans.

That, and I think people overrate how many Australians actually care about ODI cricket enough to go watch it live, rather than just on TV. Especially when you're booking months in advance for a game that Australia aren't even guaranteed to make -- I think Indian fans, by virtue of having to follow cricket that doesn't happen in Australia, would be more likely to pay up and show up for a game that might not involve their team.

From what I've seen, Australian-supporting Australian cricket fans tend to think about other teams in 1990s tropes because they simply don't care about anything that happens outside of Australia (see also: Channel 9 commentators).

OverratedSanity

I think OS's point is that for Indian fans to outnumber Australian fans at the game, a much bigger percentage of India fans in Melbourne would have to decide to go the game than Australia fans in Melbourne, because there are a lot more of the latter.

You'd probably be surprised by the percentage of cricket fans living in Australia who don't support Australia though OS. It's not just a few people. I'm sure there are more Australia fans living in Melbourne than there are India fans.. but you'd probably be surprised by the actual statistics if we had any IMO.

Yeah, that is what I meant... shame it had to be spoonfed in a big paragraph for Jono and Dan to get it (****s :ph34r:)

I don't agree with the last bit though. It's a WC semi... surely whatever cricket fans are there who support Australia would view that as a must see event. Especially, I would have thought, with Phil Hughes' passing giving the India tour and the WC a bigger emotional edge than probably any WC campaign ever. As far as I know, it must have put the sport and the World Cup in the spotlight in a very big way.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It's also worth taking into account that Australian residents who follow Australia have lots of opportunities to watch Australia play cricket live every summer, while Indian fans in Australia don't, and are more likely to view it as a must-see event. I also think India supporters on average probably see a World Cup semi final as a bigger deal than Australia fans..
yep definitely a huge huge factor. Until recent times used to see them ever 4 years. Now I just fly to wherever they play :ph34r:

Spikey

only a small thing but i work with someone who hasn't gone to any of the WC matches coz their membership card doesnt work