• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* - Final - India v Sri Lanka

Who will win the World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JBH001

International Regular
India strong favourites for mine. I think it's going to be a comfortable win for India, in the end. I'm also a little worried about Murali bowling on one leg to the Indian batsmen in his last game. He may have gotten away with it against England, and bowled well against NZ, but I fear a tonking in this final game - if he plays. If he does play, however, he must play the whole day even if he has to be protected in the field (as he was against NZ; although going off for a few overs for treatment during the game may be alright).

smash84

The Tiger King
India seem favorites tbh and they have had a far tougher road to the final so that goes in their favor too........SL bowling attack is good too though.....although not as good as Pakistan's but I don't expect them to drop 4 catches offered by Sachin and neither are their batsmen a bunch of pansies like our batsmen

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
India seem favorites tbh and they have had a far tougher road to the final so that goes in their favor too........SL bowling attack is good too though.....although not as good as Pakistan's but I don't expect them to drop 4 catches offered by Sachin and neither are their batsmen a bunch of pansies like our batsmen
They did drop a few off morgan. :laugh:

Woodster

International Captain
Agree with most posters suggesting Mathews is a big loss for SL. While he hasn't necessarily set the tournament alight, it is more the type of player he is that really compromises the natural balance of the side, rather than his overall performances in this WC. I like Mathews and also think he's a real talent, he is one of the few in the SL line-up capable of taking a score from looking like 230 into 280 with a few lusty blows. He's decent in the field and can be very useful with the ball on most pitches, using cutters wisely on the slower tracks.

Ashish Nehra did very well in the semi's, but is only a bit-part for India, and I don't think they'll have too many problems in replacing him. The addition of Ashwin will strengthen the side especially if there's going to be some assistance in the pitch for spinners.

Very much looking forward to the game now. Hope the top order for SL fires, because I do fear the worst if they lose a few early ones, more so than if the same happened to India. The majority of the competition's top performers are playing in tomorrow's final, we could be in for a treat if they all turn up with their imperious form.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah but I doubt they would drop a few off someone as good as Sachin............they know its a risk they can't take

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah but I doubt they would drop a few off someone as good as Sachin............they know its a risk they can't take
It was a one-off day where he kept playing soft shots in the air towards the two close-in fielders. Credit has to go to Ajmal for ruining his concentration and denting his confidence the other day in his very first over.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Anybody else is gonna watch the final online via ESPN Player?
I was wondering if there was a way to improve its performance somehow? Audio is fine but video lags quite often no matter what the settings. My hardware and connection (10 Mbit/s) meet the Player's requirements and I hate to hear a wicket taken without seeing it.

My 1st post here, hope its in the correct thread/subforum :)

Jan

Lostman

State Captain
In the SL vs NZ league game there was quite a bit of dew around during the chase, so that might be something that would come into play.

Despite this dont think both teams would want to chase:unsure:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I am not very familiar with that particular rule, but I'm sure there's a loophole somewhere that can be exploited (remember that infamous Ricky Ponting run-out in Ashes 2005?).
You mean when Simon Jones was in hospital with what was in effect a career ending injury?
Really exploiting the rules there...

Teja.

Global Moderator
FFS, If we play Sree instead of Ashwin, That'll be ********. Despite Munaf and Nehra bowling well, Their success also was due to the fact that Pakistan are weaker to L&L bowling than most other sides. SL are certainly not going to treat good but constant L&L bowling with not much variation in the death overs the same way.

A lot depends on the first 15 overs of our bowling Innings, TilDil can really exploit any **** served then and I'm really afraid about how Zaheer and Sree, if he plays, handles the pressure. Matthews will obv. be a huge loss(much bigger than Nehra, I daresay), but I rate Randiv as one of the most talented LO bowlers in the world tbh. Twas an absolute shocker that he wasn't picked in the first XV and however much I love Vass and hate that little ****, Randiv will be the better choice to play.

It's one of those days where I'd take a 60 (65) over a 40 (29) from Sehwag. One of Tendulkar/Gambhir has to step up and be the anchor for the Innings. We should continue played Raina obv., apart from his batting ability, His fielding along with Kohli's is certainly making a difference. I'm extremely scared about how Sanga will deal with our quicks apart from Zaheer. I rate our chances at about 50/50 and I'm hatin' the hilarious overconfidence of the Indian media.

Let's win it guys! (Y)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sorry Teja you were cheering on South Africa. Don't jump on the Indian bandwagon now.

Teja.

Global Moderator
:( I'm cheering for the team I want to win this game tbh.

Anyway, I might have been enthusiastic in support for SA and in one post, even said a final with SA would be better than one with India in it but through most of the time on the sub-forum, I've been cheering for India tbf and Even if I would be supporting SA in a final against India(which I doubt I'd be), Can't people have second teams? :p

* -Obv. talking about the ODI teams, I feel the need to repeat.

smash84

The Tiger King
FFS, If we play Sree instead of Ashwin, That'll be ********. Despite Munaf and Nehra bowling well, Their success also was due to the fact that Pakistan are weaker to L&L bowling than most other sides. SL are certainly not going to treat good but constant L&L bowling with not much variation in the death overs the same way.

A lot depends on the first 15 overs of our bowling Innings, TilDil can really exploit any **** served then and I'm really afraid about how Zaheer and Sree, if he plays, handles the pressure. Matthews will obv. be a huge loss(much bigger than Nehra, I daresay), but I rate Randiv as one of the most talented LO bowlers in the world tbh. Twas an absolute shocker that he wasn't picked in the first XV and however much I love Vass and hate that little ****, Randiv will be the better choice to play.

It's one of those days where I'd take a 60 (65) over a 40 (29) from Sehwag. One of Tendulkar/Gambhir has to step up and be the anchor for the Innings. We should continue played Raina obv., apart from his batting ability, His fielding along with Kohli's is certainly making a difference. I'm extremely scared about how Sanga will deal with our quicks apart from Zaheer. I rate our chances at about 50/50 and I'm hatin' the hilarious overconfidence of the Indian media.

Let's win it guys! (Y)
Top quality post

Sorry Teja you were cheering on South Africa. Don't jump on the Indian bandwagon now.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

smash84

The Tiger King
Anyway, I might have been enthusiastic in support for SA and in one post, even said a final with SA would be better than one with India in it but through most of the time on the sub-forum, I've been cheering for India tbf and Even if I would be supporting SA in a final against India(which I doubt I'd be), Can't people have second teams? :p
:laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
:( I'm cheering for the team I want to win this game tbh.

* -Obv. talking about the ODI teams, I feel the need to repeat.
You cheered on England vs. India as well tbh

Teja.

Global Moderator
For the last five overs tbf and if it is of any excuse, I'm a poor student and India lost me a lot of money that day. :p

Anyway, I'll agree with the assessment that I'm not the most loyal or passionate fan of the Indian ODI team though I won't call myself a bandwagon fan.