• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's 29/9 or Pakistan's 100 off the last 5 : what was more shocking ?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan's was worse, because they let the psychological impact carry over to their chase, and lost it in the first 10-15 overs. At least we put it behind us and started off purposefully in the field.

Having said that, absolutely no excuse or justification for that collective fail on India's part. As I said at the time, disgraceful.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pakistan's. It put NZ in a dominant position.

India's collapse prevented themselves from being in a dominant position, but were still very much capable of winning the match.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just on India's collapse: twice it's happened now. Pretty much the same thing happened against us. 327 still looked a winning score, but 350 looked a bare minimum at one stage.

Other similarities too: in both instances Sachin scored a ton and him going precipitated the collapse and an opposition seamer (for Bresnan read Steyn) was inspired at the death and picked up a Michelle.

We're through the looking glass here, people. :unsure::ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah its awful.

Worse this time, India were 8 out all out. Because Munaf and Nehra are the definition of bunnies.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Just on India's collapse: twice it's happened now. Pretty much the same thing happened against us. 327 still looked a winning score, but 350 looked a bare minimum at one stage.

Other similarities too: in both instances Sachin scored a ton and him going precipitated the collapse and an opposition seamer (for Bresnan read Steyn) was inspired at the death and picked up a Michelle.

We're through the looking glass here, people. :unsure::ph34r:
Don't forget that the chasing side, facing a final over in which double figures were needed, had to rely on their #9, a fast-scoring lower order batsman who's in the team as an orthodox spinner to hit the final runs to avoid defeat.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah its awful.

Worse this time, India were 8 out all out. Because Munaf and Nehra are the definition of bunnies.
More evidence, surely, that Ashwin should be in the side? Regardless of tactics, Nehra has got to be miles, miles better as a bowler to make up for his batting and "fielding", and that's clearly not the case.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would say India myself. Surely there can't have been many collapses of that sort of proportion before? I mean 9(!) wickets for 29?
Taylor-like hitting has been seen before. Cameron White's 89* against India for example.

vcs

Would say India myself. Surely there can't have been many collapses of that sort of proportion before? I mean 9(!) wickets for 29?
Taylor-like hitting has been seen before. Cameron White's 89* against India for example.
Yeah I agree on that part. I only said Pakistan because India didn't let the momentum carry across the innings break.

angad

U19 12th Man
Pakistan's, because shame started right from start of 1st innings. It was not just Taylor's hitting, Kamran Akmal's poor performance adds lots of weight. Imagine how much demorolizing it was. Indian fans atleast got to see best batting display from top 3 in this WC so far and even after collapse they reached respectable target. And as usual with Graeme Smith/Zaheer Khan business, we didnt let SA momentum to carry.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
It all comes down to Akhtar and Razzaq vs. Indian batting

Akhtar and Razzaq are at the end of their careers. Both have been chucking pies at the depth for the last few games. So it isn't surprising if Taylor annihilated them.

But to expect the so called strongest batting line up (barring the top three) to collapse for 29 runs is very shocking.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Personally 9/29 was worse. "Strongest batting lineup in the world", home conditions, huge platform, not much pressure - and they do that?

centurymaker

International Captain
More evidence, surely, that Ashwin should be in the side? Regardless of tactics, Nehra has got to be miles, miles better as a bowler to make up for his batting and "fielding", and that's clearly not the case.
Dhoni seems to be hiding him for the knock-out games.

vcs

What was better Taylor and Oram's hitting or South Africa's bowling?
NZ's hitting without doubt. SA bowled well, but it was brainless stuff from some of the middle-order batsmen and tail.