• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quarterfinal Scenarios

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well I knew they would play all games against non-hosts at home - obviously...they're the hosts after all - but this is interesting. I suppose they have to deal with host vs host situation one way or another. They could set pre-emptive venues which would remain if two hosts played each other, but would change to a team's home venue if it played a neutral.....or this way. It's a bit weird to decide that now though instead of ironing out these rules beforehand.

Blaze 18

Banned
I thought the Sri Lanka-New Zealand match was going to be in Sri Lanka. I was wrong; they're playing in Mumbai. I reckon it's anyone's game.

EDIT : Was replying to GGG's post.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I thought the Sri Lanka-New Zealand match was going to be in Sri Lanka. I was wrong; they're playing in Mumbai. I reckon it's anyone's game.
What? That makes no sense. Unless it's host vs host, every game that a host plays should be at home.

Blaze 18

Banned
What? That makes no sense. Unless it's host vs host, every game that a host plays should be at home.
Yeah I was a bit surprised when I saw the fixtures list. Maybe every host is supposed to play one game away from home (India played in Bangladesh) ? I dunno.

Mikey29

Banned
M Guptil - 37.04 81.27
B McCullum - 29.24 88.86
J Ryder - 35.38 95.23
Taylor - 36.78 82.39
S Styris - 32.62 79.48
J Oram - 24.51 85.67

U Tharanga - 35.48 73.77
T Dilshan - 35.88 87.90
K Sangakkara - 37.60 75.64
M Jayawardene - 32.69 77.50
T Perera - 14.63 115.00
A Mathews - 32.21 84.01

Look pretty even to me, the only difference I see is Malinga.
Murali and Mendis as well (if Mendis plays). Lanka are too experienced and solid to lose. They won't do a Pakistan. NZ will have to earn their win and play out of their skins. Their bowling attack will probably have to be on their game, because i don't see their batsman making a huge score against the likes of Malinga and Murali.

Quaggas

State Captain

EDIT : Was replying to GGG's post.
One of the commentators during last night's NZ-Can game said that the Lankans had requested Mumbai - to get practice there should they get to the final.

NZ doesn't mind either, of course.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Contrasting headlines on cricinfo for what was basically the same scenario in both matches:

cricinfo said:
Powerful NZ cruise into quarters
cricinfo said:
Australia labour to 60-run victory
Anecdotal evidence suggesting NZ no longer flying under radar, which is a vital part of our plan. "Powerful"? While Australia, the only undefeated team remaining in the comp, have their stroll in the park downplayed.

BeeGee

International Captain
Anecdotal evidence suggesting NZ no longer flying under radar, which is a vital part of our plan. "Powerful"? While Australia, the only undefeated team remaining in the comp, have their stroll in the park downplayed.
Yeah, it's crazy.
The question now is which would be better for NZ's chances in the WC:
Beat Sri Lanka and possibly get an easier QF opponent, but lose our underdog tag for good.
OR
Lose to Sri Lanka and fly back under the radar (NZ's traditional comfort zone).

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I thought we would struggle against SL in Colombo, so I was pleased to hear the match would be in India. SL will still be better suited than us to the conditions, of course, but at least the crowd won't be quite so parochial.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, it's crazy.
The question now is which would be better for NZ's chances in the WC:
Beat Sri Lanka and possibly get an easier QF opponent, but lose our underdog tag for good.
OR
Lose to Sri Lanka and fly back under the radar (NZ's traditional comfort zone).
Haha yes, win or lose against SL we can claim it's all 'strategic'.

smash84

The Tiger King
It makes sense now that somebody here posted that SL requested a match to be hosted in India lest they have to play there later in the tournament. Good planning by the lankans.

Blaze 18

Banned
One of the commentators during last night's NZ-Can game said that the Lankans had requested Mumbai - to get practice there should they get to the final.

NZ doesn't mind either, of course.
Oh, okay. That makes sense.

Yeah, I thought we would struggle against SL in Colombo, so I was pleased to hear the match would be in India. SL will still be better suited than us to the conditions, of course, but at least the crowd won't be quite so parochial.
Agree.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Things will get really tight in Group B if Bangladesh beats SA. No reason why they can't. Then If India loses against WI, It will be Ind and Eng struggling to get to the quarters. India atm have a better net run rate than England. Such a beautiful WC. Loving it.

Blaze 18

Banned
Yeah our group's been the more interesting one by far. It's hard to believe, but only one team in Group B doesn't have a chance to go through (Netherlands). Every other team - that includes Ireland and Bangladesh - have a chance of making the next round.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It looks like we're unlikely to get a result out of the Pakistan - Zimbabwe match. This definitively puts Pakistan through but means they now have a maximum of 9 points, even if they beat Australia, and so they can't top the group.

Yeah our group's been the more interesting one by far. It's hard to believe, but only one team in Group B doesn't have a chance to go through (Netherlands). Every other team - that includes Ireland and Bangladesh - have a chance of making the next round.
And, of course, it's still possible for any side to go out, including India and South Africa.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
It looks like we're unlikely to get a result out of the Pakistan - Zimbabwe match. This definitively puts Pakistan through but means they now have a maximum of 9 points, even if they beat Australia, and so they can't top the group.

And, of course, it's still possible for any side to go out, including India and South Africa.
No. I think there will be a result in the Pak Zim match