• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quarterfinal Scenarios

Blaze 18

Banned
so in group A quite a bit boils down to Aus Pak match. So who is gonna win that one?
Quite a lot depends on which Pakistan decides to turn up. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Australia. It's a World Cup match plus Pakistan's recent record against them is very ordinary.

Spark

Global Moderator
Our bowling's a worry in terms of consistency - probably Pakistan would look to target that.

Mind you I definitely would chase against us. We're far better chasers than defenders.

Blaze 18

Banned
Our bowling's a worry in terms of consistency - probably Pakistan would look to target that.

Mind you I definitely would chase against us. We're far better chasers than defenders.
It's the opposite in Pakistan's case : they are far better at setting a total than chasing one. Looks like both teams will get what they want on Saturday.

salman85

International Debutant
If this was a knockout game or a game that Pakistan needed to win to qualify for the QF,i have favored them.But since Pakistan have qualified for the QF,i think they might pull their foot off the pedal for this match.

Australia to prevail.Pakistan ending up on 4th place,thus meeting South Africa in the QF and avoiding India.Expect the 'should Pakistan deliberately under perform against Australia to avoid meeting India in the next round' topic to be discussed heavily in the next few days.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
If this was a knockout game or a game that Pakistan needed to win to qualify for the QF,i have favored them.But since Pakistan have qualified for the QF,i think they might pull their foot off the pedal for this match.

Australia to prevail.Pakistan ending up on 4th place,thus meeting South Africa in the QF and avoiding India.Expect the 'should Pakistan deliberately under perform against Australia to avoid meeting India in the next round' topic to be discussed heavily in the next few days.
I don't think so. Waqar really wants to win this match. The last time Aus were beaten in a WC match was in 1999 by Pakistan. In 2003 we had Aus in a spot of bother before Andrew Symonds blasted us away. If there is one team I would back to beat Aus, it is Pakistan. But Pak need to get up on the right side of the bed.

smash84

The Tiger King
It's the opposite in Pakistan's case : they are far better at setting a total than chasing one. Looks like both teams will get what they want on Saturday.
true. Although I think Ricky Ponting might bat first knowing just how terrible Pakistan are in chasing a total.

salman85

International Debutant
Ponting would be the last captain on the planet to put the opponent's weakness over his own team's strength though.

BeeGee

International Captain
true. Although I think Ricky Ponting might bat first knowing just how terrible Pakistan are in chasing a total.
Ponting would be the last captain on the planet to put the opponent's weakness over his own team's strength though.
Unless the pitch looks like a seamer's paradise, I'm pretty sure Ponting would bat first. I doubt his decision would have anything to do with the opposition's strengths or weaknesses. Batting first is the most positive, aggressive choice and I think that's what Ponting will be looking for.

smash84

The Tiger King
Unless the pitch looks like a seamer's paradise, I'm pretty sure Ponting would bat first. I doubt his decision would have anything to do with the opposition's strengths or weaknesses. Batting first is the most positive, aggressive choice and I think that's what Ponting will be looking for.
I don't know about that. I think playing to one's strength is a positive attitude. Like SL in the 96 WC always liked to chase. I thought they were quite positive about it.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Depending on the result of tonights match, looking quite like one of the QFs could be Australia v England. That could be a ripper - would expect England to really challenge Australia, who have more in common with SA and India than they do with Ireland or Bangladesh.

Challis

U19 12th Man
Depending on the result of tonights match, looking quite like one of the QFs could be Australia v England. That could be a ripper - would expect England to really challenge Australia, who have more in common with SA and India than they do with Ireland or Bangladesh.
except they did get thrashed 6-1 in the recent series, I know it was a different setting and conditions etc but still would be a psychological edge for the Aussies

Delo12

Cricket Spectator
England will face SL if SL beat NZ. England have 7 points WI 6
it is likely that WI Vs Australia QF if Aussie finish top of the group........
unless India lose to WI.....

Jacknife

International Captain
except they did get thrashed 6-1 in the recent series, I know it was a different setting and conditions etc but still would be a psychological edge for the Aussies
We beat Australia 3-2 in England 6 months ago, so it's swings and roundabouts.

tooextracool

International Coach
I dont really fancy Pakistan against Australia. If you believe that psychology has some sort of impact on the game, which I tend to, then Pakistan's recent record against Australia, having won 3 out of the last 20 games against them would surely suggest that Australia will win. Pakistan simply dont know how to beat Australia and we saw that even in the t20 wc recently.

tooextracool

International Coach
Not really. Having lost the Ashes and lost to them in the t20 format, Im fairly certain England will go into that game with plenty of confidence. I know it is a different format, but mentally England know that they can beat them and that is all that matters. The 6-1 result was rather meaningless because it was largely a pointless series with many of the players either injured or mentally drained after a very long tour.

Australia would still be favorites though, but that is largely because I dont quite believe think our selectors are up to it.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
A QF with NZ is what we'll take with both hands.

I won't be anxious too much if it's against Pakistan. They can beat us, but chances of that happening is low.

SL is a dangerous side, but we can make a million runs against their second and third seamer, if we play to our potential.

Australia is the most dangerous side among the 4. Watson and Hussey can toy with our bowlers. Lee and Johnson might be dangerous against us. Two early wickets may trigger a collapse. Having said that, we are favorites to beat them at home.