• Most Probably

16 37.21%
  • Less Chance

9 20.93%
  • No Chance

6 13.95%
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian Discussion

There's plenty of ways India can not win the WC. Coming up against Australia in a knock out game is probably at the top of the list.

International Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Kohli.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian87 View Post
    There's plenty of ways India can not win the WC. Coming up against Australia in a knock out game is probably at the top of the list.
    Not if Clarke plays. The total would then be too small while we are chasing and too big when you are chasing.
    I am proud of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Oh and I really have doubt in India's ability to win 3 consecutive KO games with that bowling. Would be more comfortable if Bhajji and Ashwin both play in the XI personally.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    AWTA. You need your bowling to stand up and win games for you somewhere down the line. Australia's bowlers have basically won them the last 3 semifinals they've played in. Can anyone see India's attack doing the same in a crunch WC knockout game (hint : ) ?

There are issues in this provisional squad, and more so the squad in South Africa:

Poor fielding: Everyone knows how susceptible Indians are to poor fielding. Their poor fielders are a weakness. Yet we see poor fielders get chance after chance. There's no way any of Nehra, Praveen and Munaf should make the ODI squad, let alone all three of them. They don't add much to the game with their bowling alone, and no more than average fielders like Sreesanth and Ishant, or Vinay Kumar and Pankaj Singh, neither making this squad. This will make it difficult to take 10 wickets often.

Bowling strike rates: Some oft-criticised bowlers, notably Ishant and Sreesanth, have superior strike rates. Ishant keeps it in the low 30's often, while Sreesanth has struck under 30 since his recall. While both (especially Sree, by a wide margin) leak a lot of runs, it makes a difference when the top six is back in the hut early.

Kohli, Yuvraj and Yusuf: There's a query on which of Kohli and Yusuf play, while Yuvraj retains his place. Why not have both Kohli and Yusuf? And why should Yuvraj retain his place? Kohli has been an impressive newcomer, coming close to 50 ODIs, and maintains an impressive record. Yusuf has had a fantastic 2010 with bat and ball, and in the subcontinent, may be a pivotal selection as a #7 who can also bowl ten overs a game. Yuvraj, on the other hand, as Dhoni's preferred all-rounder, has failed with the ball, and more importantly, with bat as well. He's failed on both fronts, and has largely struggled. A stronger, more in-form side would have Kohli at three/four, Yusuf at seven, Yuvraj sitting out and the rest of the batting unchanged.

Spin choices: The emergence of Ashwin and the return of Chawla will be crucial. Chawla's form has largely been patchy, taking five wickets and scoring a century just before the announcement of the provisional squad. As a frontline spinner who can score runs, he can add a lot to the team, but he's not in the best of form. Ashwin has been a very impressive newcomer, taking two wickets a game, which is impressive, though his economy has been a tad high. He hasn't had enough chances to prune his batting ability until now, though a good choice under a strong top six. Harbhajan's strike rate, or excess of it, has been his weakness, and they can leave him out, but there's little assured from Chawla, so Bhajji and Ashwin may play together.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze 18 View Post
    Yousuf Pathan vs Virat Kohli is an interesting one. There is no question that the latter is a far more accomplished bat, but the former arguably brings more balance to the side. Kohli would be a misfit at number six or number seven, and unfortunately for him, the top five spots have been taken.
    By whom? FFS Kohli's close to being the most productive ODI batsman for India in the last 12 months. It reflects in the numbers (2nd most number of runs behind Amla in 2010, ranked at #5 in the ICC lists).

For mine: Raina, Yuvraj, Yusuf and even Gambhir can make way for him and at any spot from #3 to #5, and probably in that order.

Only SRT cleanly walks in ahead of him based on reputation, and Sehwag does so because no one dismembers bowlers like him, and the WC being in the subcontinent gives Sehwag more chances to cut loose.

Cricket Spectator
    I'm a fan of M.S. Dhoni, I'm sure India will take the cup

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeevan View Post
    By whom?
    1) Sachin Tendulkar
    2) Virender Sehwag
    3) Gautham Gambhir
    4) Yuvraj Singh
    5) MS Dhoni

That would be my top five; I wouldn't have Virat Kohli over any of them, as good as he is.

Simon Champion!
    1) Sachin Tendulkar
    2) Virender Sehwag
    3) Gautham Gambhir
    4) Yuvraj Singh
    5) MS Dhoni

That would be my top five; I wouldn't have Virat Kohli over any of them, as good as he is.
    I agree,though Dhoni is best as a floater according to the situation and Raina can also come at a higher position.

1) Sachin Tendulkar
    2) Virender Sehwag
    3) Gautham Gambhir
    4) Yuvraj Singh
    5) MS Dhoni

I like Yuvraj a little lower down; I'd be inclined to go with:

1 Sehwag
    2 Tendulkar
    3 Gambhir
    4 Kohli
    5 Yuvraj
    6 Raina
    7 Dhoni

I think those who spruik Yusuf do so because they think he can offer balance to the side with his bowling, but I personally don't rate his bowling is any better than Yuvraj's at ODI level. I don't think it'd add as much as Kohli's batting. If you think the team lacks an explosive finisher who can hit from ball one then I can swallow the argument for Yusuf but I don't really think his bowling should play a part.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

I really like that order.

Very few teams can boast a 5-7 like that. Epic.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post

1 Sehwag
    2 Tendulkar
    3 Gambhir
    4 Kohli
    5 Yuvraj
    6 Raina
    7 Dhoni

I think those who spruik Yusuf do so because they think he can offer balance to the side with his bowling, but I personally don't rate his bowling is any better than Yuvraj's at ODI level. I don't think it'd add as much as Kohli's batting. If you think the team lacks an explosive finisher who can hit from ball one then I can swallow the argument for Yusuf but I don't really think his bowling should play a part.
    I think Yousuf's Pathan's role in the Indian side is the same as Shahid Afridi's for Pakistan : get a rapid twenty-thirty batting at seven, bowl six-seven overs without conceding too much. While I agree that Pathan's bowling isn't necessarily any better than Yuvraj Singh's, I would still have him for being the explosive finisher that you mention.

I think Yousuf's Pathan's role in the Indian side is the same as Shahid Afridi's for Pakistan : get a rapid twenty-thirty batting at seven, bowl six-seven overs without conceding too much. While I agree that Pathan's bowling isn't necessarily any better than Yuvraj Singh's, I would still have him for being the explosive finisher that you mention.
    kohli over pathan any day. I personally dont rate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post

1 Sehwag
    2 Tendulkar
    3 Gambhir
    4 Kohli
    5 Yuvraj
    6 Raina
    7 Dhoni

+1 billion

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information